Cicero: Cars 1, 2, 3, 4, Engines 1 and 2, Rescue 1, Squad 1 n 2
North Syracuse: Engine 8, Rescue 7, Car 1, 2, 3
Moyers Corners: Car 2, Rescue 3, Squad 3
Clay: Car 1, 2, 3, 4, Rescue 3, Engine 31
Brewerton: Rescue 7, Car 1, 3 originally to Cicero Station 1 then to scene
South Bay:  Car 1, 2, 3, RP2

Liverpool: Rescue 1 to Moyers Corners Station 3
Bridgeport: Engine 3 to Cicero Station 2
Caughdenoy: Rescue 651 to Clay Station 2 (Oswego Co.)
Mattydale: Rescue 1 to North Syracuse Station 1

EAVES and NAVAC Rehab teams
EAVES Squad 1 w/trailer
NAVAC Squad 3
NOVA and NAVAC ambulances

syracuse.com
SearchSearchAccountSign In

Update: 1 man dead after tractor-trailer crushes minivan near I-81 in Cicero
? / 17
By Ken Sturtz | ksturtz@syracuse.com
Follow on Twitter
on September 18, 2015 at 6:04 PM, updated September 19, 2015 at 3:42 AM
Comments
CICERO, N.Y. -- One person was killed and two others injured Friday when a flatbed tractor-trailer carrying heavy equipment crashed into a minivan, ending up on top of it.

The crash was reported just after 5 p.m. on Route 31 at the on-ramp to Interstate 81 south in Cicero. Firefighters and police flooded the area as bystanders looked on.

The tractor-trailer -- carrying a skid steer and large excavator -- got off I-81 south and failed to stop at the traffic light at the bottom of the off-ramp, going through the intersection and hitting a minivan that was going east on Route 31, said Deputy Katie Kruger, speaking for the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office.

The minivan rolled over several times before coming to rest. The tractor-trailer snapped a pole holding traffic lights at the intersection.

Alicia English, of Brewerton, works at the Byrne Dairy nearby. She said she was taking a cigarette break outside when the crash happened.

Police and firefighters clogged the intersection at Route 31 and the Interstate 81 south on-ramp.
Courtesy Jeff Piagentini

"And all of a sudden you just heard all of the machinery crash," English said. "It sounded horrible. You knew something bad had happened."

English didn't see the crash at first, but said she started walking toward the intersection and then saw the wreckage.

"I just came running over," she said, amazed to find that firefighters were already arriving at the crash.

A tow truck was brought in to help firefighters lift and block up the tractor-trailer.

Two men were painstakingly cut from the minivan, placed in ambulances and rushed to hospitals in Syracuse. They are listed in serious condition. Firefighters were still trying to remove a third man hours later. Kruger said the third man who hadn't been removed was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver from the tractor-trailer and a passenger were not injured. Kruger said police are still investigating what caused the crash, but that the two men from the tractor-trailer were cooperating with deputies. No one had been detained.

Traffic is shut down in the area, including the on and off ramps for I-81 south and the off ramp for I-81 north. The area is expected to remained closed to traffic well into the evening.

Firefighters were working with the state Department of Transportation to make sure the tractor-trailer -- which still had the pole with the traffic lights leaning on it -- could be safely removed.

Comments
Crime in Central NY

Police Blotter

Search for arrests by Syracuse and Central New York law enforcement agencies and local New York State Police.

Map Onondaga County reported crimes
More Crime & Safety news ?
Active Discussions

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

? 2015 Syracuse Media Group. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Syracuse Media Group.

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Contact interactivity management.

Ad Choices