A Tribute To Jack Supple

A Tribute To Jack Supple
Buffalo N.Y. Fire Dept.

They say one of the hardest things to go through when you get older is losing your friends.

On Dec. 7, 2020, I lost a very dear friend of mine, someone I had known for 60 years. His name is retired Deputy Chief Jack Supple of the Buffalo Fire Department in New York.

I met Jack and his late brother Harvey, also a Buffalo firefighter and then a battalion chief, in 1960 when I was 15. Now, at the age of 75, I sit here and reflect on some of my memories of both Jack and Harvey.

Jack and Harvey were very fond of the FDNY. They visited once a year, always attending the Bell Club dinner and then buffing at a few firehouses.

I first met both of them at my old neighborhood firehouse, Engine 323, where they became friendly with Otto Gross, an auxiliary fireman and model fire engine builder. Jack was a model builder as well; Harvey just liked cigars.

They met Otto at Engine 323 once a year and took me along buffing. After that, we became friends and stayed close for 60 years.

When I finally was old enough to drive, I began taking them around town. Not long after, I became an FDNY dispatcher in 1967. That meant Jack and Harvey now had another place where they could buff out of when they came to New York City.

I began visiting Jack and Harvey once a year and they did the same for me. I would buff with Engine 21 in Buffalo and also rode with Jack, the deputy, and Harvey, the battalion chief. Harvey passed away in 2001. Then Jack lost his wife, Joyce; Harvey’s wife, Jo, passed away as well.

Jack then became the “old Buffalo” and, along the way, lost his friends as we all do.

After Jack recently moved into a nursing facility, my wife and I would Facetime and Zoom with him every other day. It was difficult to visit him in person because of Covid-19, but at least we got to see him.

I attended Jack’s wake and funeral and served as a pallbearer. It was a special experience for me to hold him in the palm of my hands.

He is now joined again with all the FDNY and Buffalo members he so loved.

I have many memories of Jack and Harvey and I miss them so much. At the Pearly Gates, I am sure he greeted our Lord with a model fire engine and Harvey with a cigar.

So I go with my own saying, “Keep your friends close and your dearest friends closer, never to forget them.”

Jack was an officer and a gentleman, a man’s man, an icon in the fire service and my dear friend.

Rest in peace and thanks for all the memories. Till we meet again, Jack and Harvey.

Your Dear Friend,

Warren Fuchs
Retired FDNY Dispatcher 120

Sorry for the loss of your dear friend. If my recollection is correct, Both Chiefs were working for the horrible propane tank explosion in Buffalo where five firefighters lost their lives and many others were injured. I believe Chief Harvey Supple was among those seriously injured.

A nice tribute to your good friend, Jack Supple.

I too remember that terrible propane explosion in Buffalo.

In your story, you presented an excellent quote that is something for all of us to remember. "Keep your friends close and your dearest friends closer, never forget them".

I first met the Supple Brothers when my Friend Warren brought them to my Firehouse many years ago.....they were both very friendly & interesting fellows..... after that initial meeting Warren would bring them by whenever they were in town (BKLYN)...... in 1986 (we R*2) were involved with the International Auto Extrication Competition .....it was held annually at the Fire Academy which served all of Canada....there were six of us 1 LT & 5 FFs that comprised the FDNY Team that year ....we were given a large van from our Fire Academy & a full complement of extrication tools ......Warren had called the Supple Brothers in Buffalo & made arrangements for us to overnight in a Buffalo FH on the way to Canada.....at the time one of the Brothers was a BC & the other a DC.... we picked up the van at The Rock & left in the morning two days before the Competition was scheduled to start..... we got to Buffalo a little before dinner time....the Brothers welcomed us & after meeting the guys in the FH we all sat down with them for a big steak dinner & hung out afterwards....in the morning we proceeded to make the remainder of the trip to Canada. .....the Supple Brothers are "Gone But Not Forgotten".....Rest In Peace.

A Tribute To Jack Supple
Buffalo N.Y. Fire Dept.

They say one of the hardest things to go through when you get older is losing your friends.

On Dec. 7, 2020, I lost a very dear friend of mine, someone I had known for 60 years. His name is retired Deputy Chief Jack Supple of the Buffalo Fire Department in New York.

I met Jack and his late brother Harvey, also a Buffalo firefighter and then a battalion chief, in 1960 when I was 15. Now, at the age of 75, I sit here and reflect on some of my memories of both Jack and Harvey.

Jack and Harvey were very fond of the FDNY. They visited once a year, always attending the Bell Club dinner and then buffing at a few firehouses.

I first met both of them at my old neighborhood firehouse, Engine 323, where they became friendly with Otto Gross, an auxiliary fireman and model fire engine builder. Jack was a model builder as well; Harvey just liked cigars.

They met Otto at Engine 323 once a year and took me along buffing. After that, we became friends and stayed close for 60 years.

When I finally was old enough to drive, I began taking them around town. Not long after, I became an FDNY dispatcher in 1967. That meant Jack and Harvey now had another place where they could buff out of when they came to New York City.

I began visiting Jack and Harvey once a year and they did the same for me. I would buff with Engine 21 in Buffalo and also rode with Jack, the deputy, and Harvey, the battalion chief. Harvey passed away in 2001. Then Jack lost his wife, Joyce; Harvey’s wife, Jo, passed away as well.

Jack then became the “old Buffalo” and, along the way, lost his friends as we all do.

After Jack recently moved into a nursing facility, my wife and I would Facetime and Zoom with him every other day. It was difficult to visit him in person because of Covid-19, but at least we got to see him.

I attended Jack’s wake and funeral and served as a pallbearer. It was a special experience for me to hold him in the palm of my hands.

He is now joined again with all the FDNY and Buffalo members he so loved.

I have many memories of Jack and Harvey and I miss them so much. At the Pearly Gates, I am sure he greeted our Lord with a model fire engine and Harvey with a cigar.

So I go with my own saying, “Keep your friends close and your dearest friends closer, never to forget them.”

Jack was an officer and a gentleman, a man’s man, an icon in the fire service and my dear friend.

Rest in peace and thanks for all the memories. Till we meet again, Jack and Harvey.

Your Dear Friend,

Warren Fuchs
Retired FDNY Dispatcher 120
Sorry for your loss brother. Great advice & tribute.

Nice tribute, Warren. I remember seeing the brothers at many Bell Club dinners, as you said. RIP

Hi Everyone, just thought I would add some photos of the models Jack Supple built through the years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 15
  • F4985EAA-490B-42E4-AC35-D9768271A5EB.jpeg
    F4985EAA-490B-42E4-AC35-D9768271A5EB.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 16
  • CC7CF9A8-D595-45E8-906D-C259FE80F4CE.jpeg
    CC7CF9A8-D595-45E8-906D-C259FE80F4CE.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 16
  • B16C87F0-1CE1-4E4B-8397-6F12DE788229.jpeg
    B16C87F0-1CE1-4E4B-8397-6F12DE788229.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 17
  • B299E374-EA1A-47C6-9B57-9CCD6E1CCDA2.jpeg
    B299E374-EA1A-47C6-9B57-9CCD6E1CCDA2.jpeg
    458.2 KB · Views: 16
Warren, years ago, and I do mean years ago, there was a photo of a model pictured toward the back pages of a WNYF. It was a scale model of E323 and my foggy brain thinks it was a '53 Ward 750 gpm rig. (Don't quote me on that.) I wonder if that was one of Jack's creations?
My heartful condolences to you on your loss.

Warren, years ago, and I do mean years ago, there was a photo of a model pictured toward the back pages of a WNYF. It was a scale model of E323 and my foggy brain thinks it was a '53 Ward 750 gpm rig. (Don't quote me on that.) I wonder if that was one of Jack's creations?
My heartful condolences to you on your loss.