Adaptive Response with Truck Positions

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
In the early 70?s the FDNY implemented an adaptive response program in the Bronx 6th Div.  I don?t remember if any of the other Boro?s or any other Co?s in the Bronx were in the program.  This was due to the numerous pulled boxes received between 1500 and 2400 hours. During these hours Signal 21 followed by the box number would be transmitted for a pulled box in the Adaptive Response area. This would bring a 2 Engine and 1 Truck assignment.  The trucks in the area would be beefed up to 1 officer and 7 firemen.  Two of the firemen were designated as the above fire team.  They would take the floor above forcing doors and making searches until the arrival of the 2nd due truck. The Engines and Squad each had 1 officer and 6 firemen. Upon arrival at the box location, if directed to a building, they were to request the full box to be transmitted. The ladder procedures were amended to include the operation of the above fire team.

Division of Training_Page_2 by tbendick, on Flickr

Division of Training_Page_3 by tbendick, on Flickr

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
If you click on the images it will open in Flickr.com you can then click on the zoom button. It's top right side of the photo between newer and older.

The A.R. took place in parts of the BX..Harlem & parts of BKLYN......it coincided w/the hours that the TCUs were in service.

Thanks Tom for posting these. I remember the Adaptive Response System, but I never knew that there were S.O.P.s regarding this operation. And I do remember the 2-1 Signal being transmitted over the air for Bronx, Brooklyn and Harlem Companies. (example: "Bronx 2-1 Signal Box xxxx, Park and 180 St.").

One of the guys on this site had sent me this info, but due to my lack of computer skills, I wasn't able to open it. You took care of that for me. Thanks Tom.

I remember coming in a few hours early prior to a night tour for OT as the extra person on the truck. There was also partial night tour OT during adaptive response hours. Somewhere around 3:00 PM through 12:30 AM.

mack

Administrator
From a previous post:

"1970 - A New Era in the FDNY...Tactical Control Force" in 1970 WNYF (written by Chief of Dept O'Hagan).  Some points from this summary:

Units: TCUs work 37 1/2 hrs; report for duty at 1430 hrs at a firehouse "in an outlying area"; 30 minutes to drive w/assigned apparatus to quarters they will operate from; in service as a conventional engine or truck until 0030 hrs; 30 minutes to drive back to firehouse where their apparatus is stored; work 3 shifts and then 85 hrs off; 5% night differential for all hrs; all members volunteers and interviewed and selected for  their "firefighting experience, attitude, appearance, background and knowledge"; an officer and 7 firefighters in TCU trucks; an officer and 6 firefighters in TCU engines; all engine and ladder companies in adaptive response areas have rosters of 31 firefighters and staffed with "a minimum of 6 firefighters at all times";  increased staffing to match 2 engine and 1 truck adaptive response; all non-firefighting details would be covered from an "administrative quota" of firefighters to maintain minimum unit manning.

Apparatus/Equipment: 180 new pumper contracts; 45 new ladders; 35 new tower ladders; power saws for all trucks and rescues; concrete breakers for rescue companes.

Quarters: Temporary pre-fab steel firehouses; modernization program for kitchens/bathrooms/"sitting rooms".

Administrative:  Administrative firefighter aides to "10 busiest battalions or divisions and the 40 busiest companies"; Xerox machines for firehouse paperwork; new typewriters.

Communications: 3 walkie-talkies for each truck (officer/roofman/above the fire floor); 2 walkie talkies for each engine; new unit status contol and dispatching system development.

Some additional 1970 "What's New" (a later WNYF):  3 new rescue truck contracts (for Rescues 1, 3 and 4); new pumpers to have seating for 7; new trucks seating for 8; Polyox "rapid water" system for pumpers; 2 pumpers w/articulated boom nozzle; satellite fireboat located at E 331.

Note - These 1970 "new era" changes followed 1969 activity where Runs and Workers increased dramatically. These were only leading units in 1969:

Engine Runs      Engine Workers    Ladder Runs      Ladder Workers      Squad Runs    Squad Workers      Rescue Runs    Rescue Workers
E94    7477      E290    4487        L31    7806      L31    5886          S3    8445      S4      2308        R2      3483    R2        1423
E73    6876      E82    4163        L48    7643        L120  4592          S4    8277      S3      953          R3**  2858    R3        684
E45    6758      E73    3856        L120    7127      L38    4172          S2*  7918      S2      849             
E290  6655      E45    3805        L27      7070      L42    4041            **Located in Manhattan
E231  6290      E83    3773        L103-1  7032      L123  3946          *S2 operated as E73 during adaptive
E82  6183      E28    3621        L103-2  6752      L103-2 3831        response w/102 additional runs
E60  6081      E283  3458        L123    6624      L108    3604                       
                                                    L107    6298       
                                                    L17      6166
                                                    L19      6157
                                                    L38      6104

There were 25 engine companies who had over 4500 runs in 1969.
There were 25 ladder companies with over 4300 runs in 1969.

mack said:
I think the trucks which had 7 FF were TCUs.
.......BX & Harlem Trucks involved in the program  had 7 FFs during the AR hours  ....BKLYN Trucks involved had 6 FFs around the clock at that time  because the all knowing  j t ohagan "THOUGHT" that BKLYN bldgs were shorter.

mack

Administrator
Some additional background on where the Adaptive Response program fit in:  As the late 1960s progressed, FDNY was faced with a skyrocketing alarm rate as mentioned above.  Department tried a lot of different things: eliminat response of 3rd engine; form 2nd sections for several busy companies (E 41-2,  E 50-2, E 88-2, E 91-2, E 217-2, E 225-2, E 233-2, L 17-2, L 26-2, Bn 3-2, Bn 12-2, Bn 14-2, Bn 18-2, Bn 37-2, Bn 39-2, Bn 44-2); form some new companies, new battalions, new division (e.g. - E 85, L 59, L 174, L 175, L 176, Bn 55, Bn 56, Bn 57, Bn 58, Bn 59, Bn 60, Div 17); form tactical control units (TCU 512, TCU 513, TCU 531, TCU 712, TCU 731, TCU 732); institute Adaptive Response in conjunction with TCUs; interchange program (busy companies with less busy companies); discretionary response boxes (DRBs); and the new ERS alarm box system and response program.

All these programs obviously did not happen at the same time, but most of these changes and programs took place between 1966 and 1975.  I think Adaptive Response was 1970 - right in the middle.  There are many members of this site who can explain these programs much better than I could.  I also admit that my list is probably incomplete.  There was also the Salvage Corps,  the Fire Patrol still operating, the Superpumper System, the arson Red Hat program, "temporary" firehouses ( the Tin Houses), rapid water, and most important - the advent of the tower ladder.

I just wanted to put some of this stuff together and take a minute to remember what it was like to have either the first or second section of the same company or battalion, or an interchanged company, or a TCU respond to the same box depending upon the time of day or which unit was available.  No computer print outs or tickets.  You could hear chiefs and aides asking the "2nd due engine or truck" to do something not knowing who they had at a fire.  Some of the above programs were ineffective or even counter-productive (e.g. - the Interchange Program).  Most FFs still did not have handie-talkies or radioes. The addition of new companies during these years were quickly followed by units being disbanded, firehouses being closed, layoffs and other reductions when the city ran out of money.

But the guys who rode on the back steps back then and fought fire after fire with rubber coats and no masks were the most remarkable memory of this remarkable FDNY era.

Thanks to Lucky for corrections.

mack said:
Some additional background for some of the younger members on where the Adaptive Response program fit in:  As the late 1960s progressed, FDNY was faced with a skyrocketing alarm rate as mentioned above.  Department tried a lot of different things: eliminate response of 3rd engine; form 2nd sections for several busy companies (E 41-2,  E 50-2, E 88-2, E 91-2, E 225-2, E 233-2, L 17-2, L 26-2, Bn 3-2, Bn 12-2, Bn 14-2, Bn 18-2, Bn 37-2, Bn 39-2, Bn 44-2); form some new companies, new battalions, new division (e.g. - E 85, L 59, L 174, L 175, L 176, Bn 55, Bn 56, Bn 57, Bn 58, Bn 59, Bn 60, Div 17); form tactical control units (TCU 512, TCU 513, TCU 531, TCU 712, TCU 731, TCU 732); institute Adaptive Response in conjunction with TCUs; interchange program (busy companies with less busy companies); discretionary response boxes (DRBs); and the new ERS alarm box system and response program.

All these programs obviously did not happen at the same time, but most of these changes and programs took place between 1966 and 1975.  I think Adaptive Response was 1970 - right in the middle.  There are many members of this site who can explain these programs much better than I could.  I also admit that my list is probably incomplete.  There was also the Salvage Corps,  the Fire Patrol still operating, the Superpumper System, the arson Red Hat program, "temporary" firehouses ( the Tin Houses), rapid water, and most important - the advent of the tower ladder.

I just wanted to put some of this stuff together and take a minute to remember what it was like to have either the first or second section of the same company or battalion, or an interchanged company, or a TCU respond to the same box depending upon the time of day or which unit was available.  No computer print outs or tickets.  You could hear chiefs and aides asking the "2nd due engine or truck" to do something not knowing who they had at a fire.  Some of the above programs were ineffective or even counter-productive (e.g. - the Interchange Program).  Most FFs still did not have handie-talkies or radioes. The addition of new companies during these years were quickly followed by units being disbanded, firehouses being closed, layoffs and other reductions when the city ran out of money.

But the guys who rode on the back steps back then and fought fire after fire with rubber coats and no masks were the most remarkable memory of this remarkable FDNY era.

That is an EXCELLENT History lesson of the FDNY in itself. Thank you "mack" for doing such a great job and explaining to many, who may not have been around during those extremely busy years, of just what some of the programs were like.

Nice job there my friend.

Chief JK,
Didn't "jto" also feel ghetto firefighters were not as good as their midtown counterparts? Seems I remember a lot of discussion back in the kitchen regarding his opinions

The nicest thing about the adaptive response was the huge OT that it generated.  The tiller rigs had no problem accomodating the extra men.  The rear mounts however were a little crowded with two firemen (not firefighters at that time) and the officer up front, four guys on the sides and one in the famous telephone booth.

mack

Administrator
Telephone booth woodhavenman mentioned:

Telephone_booth.png

Also - TCU 712 seating for extra man
TCU_7122.jpg

mack said:
Looks like another city might have used FDNY Adaptive Response techniques many years back - Norwich Fire Dept, CT.  Willie D (our NFD2004) riding position was in the booth of their modified rig:

NFD really didn't need the extra room.  They just didn't want him in the rig with the other guys.
Damm Willy, you don't get no respect round here no more!

Gee, Willie D, you gave me the photo of that engine but I don't remember you being in it!

1261Truckie said:
Chief JK,
Didn't "jto" also feel ghetto firefighters were not as good as their midtown counterparts? Seems I remember a lot of discussion back in the kitchen regarding his opinions
........Yes during a break in testimony at city council hearings at the start of the adaptive response....j t o hagan the COD/FC at the time  (who was pissed that we were testifying against his flawed idea ) said to us ...."you guys think you are hot shit but if i take you out of the ghetto you wont know your ass from your elbow"......he further went on to name some famous & accomplished Officers who upon promo to CPT or BC wound up in Midtown....jto said he put them there to learn the job........(no disrespect to Midtown on my part).

Interesting bits of FDNY history there. After reading Report from Engine Co. 82, I always wondered what Tactical Control Units did and how they factored into the FDNY.

By the way, lookin' good Willy D.(LOL!)

fdny1075k said:
By the way, lookin' good Willy D.(LOL!)

Thanks "fdny1075k". Actually that's probadly the best I've ever looked and "johnd248" and "fdce54" are just jealous. But who can blame them, right.

And back on subject. Chief J.K., I know of one or two incidents that took place exactly of what you are talking about. Good people that stood up for what was right, but paid a price for it.