ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

southoldlocal.com/2015/01/26/harry-j-baglivi-92/

Harry J. Baglivi, 92

by Lisa Finn Jan 26, 2015, 4:11 pm

Harry J. Baglivi of Greenport died on Saturday at Peconic Landing. He was 92 years old.

Born on October 22, 1922 in New York City to Donald and Concetta (nee Gatto) Baglivi, he served in the United States Navy Reserve from 1943 to 1945 as a signalman 2c(t)SV-6. He was a fireman for 20 years with the New York City Fire Department.

He married his wife Lillian on February 3, 1951 in New York, New York. He was an avid lover of woodworking, cooking, and antiquing.

He was predeceased by John Baglivi, Anthony Baglivi, Anna DeGeso, Edward Brill and Manny Baglivi.

Mr. Baglivi is survived by his children John and James Baglivi of Mattituck, his daughter Carol Worth of Mattituck, and six grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements are entrusted to Costner-Heppner Funeral Home in Cutchogue. Visitation will take place Wednesday from 2 to 6 p.m., with interment to follow at Calverton National Cemetery on Thursday at 11 a.m

REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY & FDNY........PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

RET FDNY CPT JOE DORAN R*4....REST IN PEACE BROTHER......PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....Chapey and Sons Funeral Home
20 Hicksville Road,
Bethpage, NY 11714
Visiting hours on Monday 2-4:30 and 7-9:30 PM.
Mass on Tuesday at 10:15 AM
St. James Church
80 Hicksville Road,
Seaford, NY

On department order: announcement of the death of FF Carl Tranchina of E. 248 on October 10, 2014.  He served the department from 1953 to 1984 with most of his service with The Heart of Flatbush.  When Martin Scott was Chief Fire Marshal and later Fire Commissioner, he kept his car in the quarters of E 248 as he lived near by.  During that time, Carl was one of the firefighters assigned as Scott's aide and driver.  I can still picture Carl, puffing on his pipe, polishing the black sedan assigned either as Car 7 or Car 1.  RIP good friend.  Excellent chauffeur for the engine; Carl really knew the neighborhood well.

RET FDNY FF Nick DeGaeta was the most highly decorated Soldier from W.W. 2 from New York State.
He was in the 82nd. Airborne Div. and saw combat from North Africa to the end of the war.
A real "American Hero". In 2010 Nicolas Sarkozy - the President of France - appointed
Nick with the: Chevalier (Knight) of The Legion of Honor. After the Battle of the Bulge,
when his unit ( The 509th. Parachute Infantry Battalion) was disbanded in a snowy bloody field,
Nick was one of the 7 Officers & 48 Enlisted Men still standing. He was a NYC Firefighter for
35 year's

February 2, 2015

It is with regret that we announce the passing of Nick DeGaeta
The Wake will be at Colonial Funeral Home, Hylan Blvd. and Tysens La.
on Thursday February 5, 2015 (1 day only) Services will be at St. Charles
on Friday February 6, 2015 at 10:30 am.
The Staten Island Retirees will meet on Thursday at 7:30 pm to pay our respects.
Please attend in honor of one of our oldest member's.

RESPECT DUE TO THIS MAN .....Anybody in regular attendance at UFA meeting's in the '70s would remember Nick at the mike.......after his Ret due to age (65) Nick then went to work for the UFA for a dollar a day to help the BROTHER's....anybody who donated blood to FF Odie M. at QGH after his car accident earlier that day in the '80s & afterwards was at the UFA Thank You get together & heard Nick's reply when asked about how he felt about having to Retire would surely remember it....an honorable (& distinguished looking) MAN who had achieved greatness before getting OTJ then continued to refine the word & set the bar.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

Rest in Peace. A thank you for your service and love of country and FDNY doesn't seem strong enough, but is deeply felt.

As I read these pages, I respect every one of these firefighters for what they have done in their career. They were the firefighters of the FDNY War Years. A time within the department that has never been repeated and hopefully, never will. Then I read about some of their lives beyond the fire department, and what they have done besides being the Worlds Greatest Generation of Firefighters. I have to take a step back again. Some of their stories before, during, or after their careers as FDNY Firefighters amazes me with the kind of individuals they were.

THEY REALLY WERE - AMERICAs HERO'S.

Military info on Nick DeGeata....posts 305 & 306 above....amazing......NAME: Nicholas R. DeGaeta

ASN: 12031945

PLACE OF BIRTH: Brooklyn, NY

DATE OF BIRTH:

DATES OF SERVICE: 1941 - 1945

UNIT ASSIGNED: Headquarters, Headquarters Company 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion

CAMPAIGNS: Algeria - French Morocco, Tunisia, Naples - Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Ardennes - Alsace, Rhineland

AWARDS: Combat Infantrymen Badge, Parachutist Badge, Bronze Star Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Purple Heart Medal, European Africa Middle Eastern Campaign Medal 8th Award, WWII Victory Medal, Croix de Guerre with Silver Star, Distinguished (Presidential) Unit Citation 2nd Award

SUMMARY OF SERVICE:

17 Jul 1941 - Enlisted at New York City, NY, NARA Enlistment Record

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 12031945

NAME DE#GAETA#NICHO#AS#R#####

RESIDENCE: STATE Undefined Code

RESIDENCE: COUNTY Undefined Code

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT NEW YORK CITY NEW YORK

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 17

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 07

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 41

GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION Private

GRADE: CODE Private

BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA

BRANCH: CODE Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA

TERM OF ENLISTMENT Undefined Code

SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL Civil Life

NATIVITY NEW YORK

YEAR OF BIRTH 19

RACE AND CITIZENSHIP White, citizen

EDUCATION Grammar school

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION Salespersons

MARITAL STATUS Single, without dependents

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)

BOX NUMBER 0080

FILM REEL NUMBER 1.73#

10 April 1944 - T/4 Nicholas R. DeGaeta 12031945 HHC 509th PIB GO 5 Award of Combat Infantryman Badge

? 1944 - T/4 Nicholas R. DeGaeta 12031945 GO 12 HHC 509th PIB Award of Purple Heart

05 January 1945 - T/4 Nicholas DeGaeta GO 1 HQ XVIII Corps Award of Bronze Star

? 1945 - T/4 Nicholas DeGaeta Award of Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster

Ministere de La Defense France Diplome et de la Liberation 1944-1945.

The NYS Conspicuous Service Cross 1946.

Airborne Awards:509 Man of the Year Atlanta Ga.1994

Proud Parachute Infantry Battalion Jumps into History by Paul DeGaeta

This is a story about my uncle, Nick DeGaeta and his WWII outfit . When I was nine years old he gave me the American Flag arm band that he wore on November 8, 1942 while making American Airborne history. He told me I should always respect it and remember that a lot of good men who wore it while fighting for our freedom never came home. Honoring that request led me to a life long historical interest in WWII. It represents the meaning of Veterans Day to me.

November 3rd, 1942. A scene familiar to many young men and women during wartime was being played out in the middle of the night on a railroad platform at Chilton Foliat, England. A beautiful young woman ran alongside a troop train calling out the name of the man she loves. The movement of the American paratroopers on the train was to be top secret. But, somehow, the young women of this town, who had fallen in love with some of the ?Yanks?, knew what this evening meant. They came to the rail yard hoping desperately to say their farewells.

A young paratrooper heard his name called over and over ?Nicholas, Nicholas can you hear me?? Nick DeGaeta, 22 at the time, recalls that moment so many years ago. ?We were a couple of kids who had fallen in love. Sue?s parents accepted me, a kid from Brooklyn. In another time it might have been a story book romance. But then it came time for us to leave for the mission we had been trained for. To be honest, very few of us thought we would be coming back. It was easier not to answer than to say goodbye.?

The 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion (known as the 504th, 2/503 and 2/509 respectively before its redesignation) was the first American infantry unit to arrive in England. The 509 trained with, and wore the maroon beret of, the British First Airborne Brigade. Their mission changed from the Dieppe raid to preparing for the invasion of North Africa. The train from Chilton Foliat carried the troopers to the R.A.F. airfield at Lands End, England. There they would board the C-47?s of the 60th Troop Carrier Wing and make history. The 509th Parachute Infantry Bn. would become the first American airborne unit to make a combat parachute jump-the first of many distinctions and honors the unattached Battalion would hold in it?s illustrious WWII combat career.

General Mark Clark was the architect of ?Operation Torch?, the November 8th, 1942 invasion of North Africa. Clark asked Lt. Col. William P. Yarborough, his airborne advisor and the commander of the 509, if it was possible to drop parachutists and take two French held Airdromes near Oran. The Vichy French, allied with the Axis powers, had aircraft at the fields which could attack invading American amphibious troops. Such a long flight (1500 miles from England to Algeria) to drop airborne troops had never been attempted by airborne forces. Yarborough, felt if the troop carrying aircraft could make it his paratroopers could do the job. Given the situation with the French colonial forces,Clark asked Yarborough to develop two airborne plans for the invasion. One called ?Plan Peace? if the French did not resist, and ?Plan War? if they did. Lt. Col. Edson Raft, who would lead the 509 paratroopers on the jump, assured Clark that he would take both airdromes. If the French chose to side with the Germans he would take them by force.

The allied invasion of North Africa was riddled with confusion. Americans did not relish the idea of fighting Frenchmen. Yet there was the chance that the Vichy French would oppose the invasion. Word came down that ?Plan Peace? was in effect as the 556 paratroopers loaded onto the 39 C-47's at Lands End. It was 9:30 in the evening of November 7th, 1942, when the 509 took off. However, during their 11 hour flight the situation changed. Due to a mix up in radio frequencies the paratroopers never got the word that ?Plan War? was now on. Bad weather and other navigational problems scattered the C-47?s across the desert. Some landed in Spanish Morroco and were interned by the neutral Spanish Government. Others landed in the desert almost out of fuel. A small group of planes were able to drop their paratroopers near Tafaraoui airdrome at sights picked out by Raft and Yarborough who had to improvise from ?Plan Peace? because of French fire. French fighter planes attacked and killed a number of paratroopers including Private John ?Tommy? Mackall who would have an airborne training camp named after him in North Carolina in 1944.

American tanks from the beachhead, knowing that the French were resisting, raced to Tafaraoui as the paratroopers arrived. Sgt. Nick DeGaeta, remembers his ordeal. ?We made the jump right outside of Tafaraoui airdrome. A dozen of so of us were able to form up on the ground with some officers. We had what looked like a whole division of French Foreign Legion coming at us on horse back just like in the movies. We were told to hold our fire. We had no back up and only enough ammunition for maybe a half hour battle. They stopped and the officers met with them. Neither side knew if we should fire on each other. That?s politics, I don't know. They said we were their prisoners and took us to a hanger. They were pretty friendly. These French foreign legion guys had long single shot rifles and looked at us like we were from Mars. They couldn?t believe how we were equipped. We had all automatic weapons, hand grenades, demolition kits, our own morphine shots, escape kits, two gold coins, we had everything. Later they released us and joined us. We secured the airdromes.?

A week later, the 509 would jump again to capture another airfield at Youks les Bains near Tunisia. When they arrived at the airfield, the French Third Zouave Regiment joined the paratroopers. They became a combat team called the Tunisian Task Force which brought some of the first American ground actions against the German Afrika Korp and Italians. DeGaeta recalls, ?At Youks les Bains, the commander of the Third Zouave pinned their unit badge on Colonel Raft?s chest.? As a special honor, French General Giraud authorized the men of the 509 to wear the badge. In a switch from the previous week when the French were considered enemies, the official order stated, ?to render homage to the worthy cooperation of American arms in the common struggle which was taking place.?

And what about the English girl? ?Some of the wounded guys got sent back to England to recuperate. One of the guys thought I had been killed and told Sue that when she asked about me. After that, I never had the heart to contact her. We were in the line so often it was all you could do to survive.?

The 509 made two more combat jumps in North Africa, another in Avellino, Italy to relieve the Salerno Beach head and a final jump to lead the invasion of Southern France. They went ashore as amphibious troops in the first wave at Anzio operating with Darby?s Rangers. The 509 received the first Presidential Unit citation won by a parachute unit for defending against a German Armour attack at Carano, Italy and won another for a night attack against enemy positions two weeks later. Corporal Paul B. Huff of the 509 was the first paratrooper to win the Congressional Medal of Honor (Those who travel up I-75 may see signs for the Paul B. Huff Parkway in Tennessee). During the Battle of the Bulge, the 509 was attached to the 101st Airborne Division and held an important cross roads at Sadzot, Belgium against two Battalions of SS Panzer Grenadier's in hand to hand fighting. This stopped the SS Battalions from bolstering the German attack of the 101st surrounded at Bastogne. Less than 55 men survived and only six, including Nick DeGaeta, were left from those who made the first jump. In 1945, the proud Battalion was disbanded and absorbed by units of the 82nd Airborne Division. The 509 Parachute Infantry Bn.?s young commander went on to become General William Yarborough who would develop the Green Berets (Special Forces) under the Kennedy Administration. His 509 had been the first Americans to wear a beret when the British airborne awarded it to them in WWII.The Army selected the 509 to be reactivated in 1963 as one of the Army?s ?Finest regiments whose heritage was to be carried on.? Continuing their position at the forefront of the airborne world, four members of the 509 served as path finders to precede the 101st Airborne drop during the Gulf War in 1991. One member made the ultimate sacrifice, another was wounded and captured, but their mission was accomplished.

I knew this gentleman when he was a FF at E297 in the early to mid 60's before his promotion. God Bless you John, thank you for your service in the military and FDNY. Condolences to his family.

IN REGARD TO POST # 255 EARLIER (page 18 ..PETE LINZY) ....I SUBMIT THIS POST NOW REGARDING HIS WIFE........Sad to report that three short month's after the Passing of my FDNY Co-Worker & Friend RET LT Pete Linzy that his Wife who has also after fighting the fight over the years now has succumbed to cancer ......REST IN PEACE NANCY.....PRAYERS ONCE AGAIN FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES

68jk09 said:
IN REGARD TO POST # 255 EARLIER (page 18 ..PETE LINZY) ....I SUBMIT THIS POST NOW REGARDING HIS WIFE........Sad to report that three short month's after the Passing of my FDNY Co-Worker & Friend RET LT Pete Linzy that his Wife who has also after fighting the fight over the years now has succumbed to cancer ......REST IN PEACE NANCY.....PRAYERS ONCE AGAIN FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES

My Condolences to the entire Linzy Family and to the friends and members of the FDNY who knew both. Such a sad thing to deal with in such a short time. It takes a very special kind of person to be the wife of a firefighter. I realized that much later than I should have. The holidays and weekends of night having their husbands with them like everybody else. The sleepless nights and days of worry if he's okay. And sometimes the family plans cancelled because he can't get home from work. And for many, raising the kids while they all watch the nighty news worried about their daddy at a big fire.

May Pete and Nancy Linzy, together, Rest in Peace.

mack

Administrator
68jk09 said:
RET FDNY FF/FM RALPH FELDMAN.....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES......                                        http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ralph-feldman-retired-fdny-marshal-dies-79-article-1.2106495

Ralph created the 23rd Street Fire Memorial located at the Cathedral of St John the Divine

st_john.png

An account of the 23rd Street Fire includes then FF Feldman's (E 37) touching tribute to the 12 firefighters killed at the fire:

http://8thstreetshulnyc.netfirms.com/feldman/fire23rdst.html