ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

RET LT HUGH BARRY O'DONNELL LAD*107.....On 1-18-23 at 80 yrs of age....Appt to LAD*22...RET 9-28-99 after 35 yrs OTJ......REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....I ran in with Barry quite often in ENY always a Gentleman with a smile.... Photo & Arrangements.... (Funeral Mass will be live-streamed ..link in the Funeral Parlor site...

https://www.thomasfdaltonfuneralhomes.com/tributes/Hugh-ODonnell

Last edited:
DENNIS SMITH Eng*82 on…..1-21-22 - at the age of 81. OTJ 18 years 1963-1981
Author of 16 books, most notably Report from Engine Co. 82 and former member of the FDNY pipes and drums

His books gave a glimpse of the life of South Bronx fireman in 70s
Rest In Peace brother!
Continued Rest in Peace, Dennis Smith. Thank you for all you did for firefighting and firefighters. Continued Comfort for your family at home and on the job.

I had the honor of meeting and talking with Dennis Smith when I was a covering Lieutenant and was working a tour in Dennis' unit CoOp City in the Bronx. He was a nice soft-spoken man, but you could tell he was really smart, and we talked and hit it off. Everyone in the Fire Service owes Dennis more than we can say, he was one of the best at telling everyone what being a firefighter in a high activity area like the South Bronx was and is really like. I have every copy of Firehouse Magazine, that was started by Dennis, it is still teaching me things after over 50 years of firefighting.
Rest if Peace Dennis a lot of us will miss you. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

RET LT WILLIAM "BILLY" URBAN LAD*117.....

On 2-8-23 at almost 80 yrs of age after a tough battle .....I have had the pleasure & honor of knowing & working with Bill since he joined the FDNY.....when Bill was in 104 he was in an adjoining Unit in our then Battalion & we worked together on details to each others Firehouses then after awhile he transferred to my Firehouse 108 & we worked together there quite often...years later when Bill was a LT in 117 I got to work with him again for a short while while I was a covering Captain in 263 in his then Firehouse .....we continued to see each other thru the years at our annual Siegel Eagles get togethers....I wish once more I could see Bill pull up in his Hemi Powered 1969 Dodge Charger ( he bought it brand new but as fast as it was Stock Bill immediately pulled of many parts & replaced them with some serious aftermarket stuff )....when Bill was still in 104 the Members would park their private cars in the narrow alley between the Firehouse & the neighboring building...at the change of Tours the kids from the block would line up outside to watch Bill pull out of the alley .....the Hemi was so loud the old wood frame windows in the Firehouse facing the alley would rattle......my 1970 Road Runner was no slouch but nowheres near a match for Bill's charger...( In his younger years Bill left quite a bit of rubber on "The Connecting" ) ......REST IN PEACE BROTHER .....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY SPECIAL FORCES COMBAT MEDIC ) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES...........

Photo & Arrangements..

farengafuneralhome.com/obituary/william-joseph-urban/

On 2-8-23 at almost 80 yrs of age after a tough battle .....I have had the pleasure & honor of knowing & working with Bill since he joined the FDNY.....when Bill was in 104 he was in an adjoining Unit in our then Battalion & we worked together on details to each others Firehouses then after awhile he transferred to my Firehouse 108 & we worked together there quite often...years later when Bill was a LT in 117 I got to work with him again for a short while while I was a covering Captain in 263 in his then Firehouse .....we continued to see each other thru the years at our annual Siegel Eagles get togethers....I wish once more I could see Bill pull up in his Hemi Powered 1969 Dodge Charger ( he bought it brand new but as fast as it was Stock Bill immediately pulled of many parts & replaced them with some serious aftermarket stuff )....when Bill was still in 104 the Members would park their private cars in the narrow alley between the Firehouse & the neighboring building...at the change of Tours the kids from the block would line up outside to watch Bill pull out of the alley .....the Hemi was so loud the old wood frame windows in the Firehouse facing the alley would rattle......my 1970 Road Runner was no slouch but nowheres near a match for Bill's charger...( In his younger years Bill left quite a bit of rubber on "The Connecting" ) ......REST IN PEACE BROTHER .....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY SPECIAL FORCES COMBAT MEDIC ) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES...........

Photo & Arrangements..

Urban-1.jpg

RET 101 YO LT WILLIAM KULL.. WW2...ENG*317. ...DO 29 2-16-23.....
1.8 With regret, the Department announces the death of retired Lieutenant William J. Kull appointed September 16, 1942, retired August 18, 1963, formerly of E-317, residing in Huntington Beach, CA, which occurred on October 31, 2022.

REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY WW2 ) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

AN AMAZING WW2 RECORD... https://nuvisionfederal.com/blog/memberresources/2020/11/11/williamkull

^^^^^^ FROM HIS PREVIOUS 101st BIRTHDAY POST.....

RET LT JOHN PERUSO ENG*217.....On 2-20-23 at 84 yrs of age....REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.... https://www.boyntonmemorial.com/obi...wpVApkO4U9tS_yWqBI70dB0scm77I&mibextid=Zxz2cZ
I remember...Entering the quarters of E-217 in Feb. of 1982 as a probie (NFG).and being assigned to LT Peruso's group. For the next 5 years ,he took this LI volley and taught me the " FDNY way of doing things" as he would say. and yes I was a slow learner! Lt Peruso was a teacher...mentor...friend and a father figure. Hence his nickname (PAPPY). and never forget the card games and his horse tips! REST IN PEACE LT and THANK YOU

Photo & Arrangements..

RIP in Brother.

RET FF ROOSEVELT ADAMS ENG*329.....

D.O. 30 2-22-23...para 1.6 ...
With regret, the Department announces the death of retired Firefighter Roosevelt Adams appointed August 3, 1966, retired January 31, 1996, formerly of E-329, residing in Suffolk County, NY, which occurred on November 3, 2022.

REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....Rosie was appointed to ENG*234 in the old Qtrs on Bergen St then later was in ENG*308 & then in ENG*329....a great ECC & auto mechanic & all around good guy....one evening after working in 308 he was driving in his car on the East bound Belt & his vehicle overturned & went on Fire....he was trapped inside unconscious, upside-down, still seat belted in .....FF Hank Bringe LAD*155 also was driving home after work & saw the accident & stopped & was able to get Rosie out of the burning car.....Rosie was finally able to return to Duty but had tremendous burn scars remaining on his legs.

Photo & Obit.... www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/roosevelt-adams-obituary?id=37043558

Some dates for Roosevelt must be wrong. His obit. says he was born in 1946. He was appt. in 1966. With those dates, he was only 20 yrs. old when he was appt.?

^^ There may be some discrepancy ?.....I think he was born in '46 so if his appt date on the DO is correct maybe he had some other City Service ..I'm trying to think back if he ever said that but I don't know.....I think his RET date is correct .....maybe the appt date on the D. O. is wrong ? ....the D.O. gives him 30 yrs OTJ but the Funeral Parlor Obit says 22 yrs OTJ.....either way may he REST IN PEACE.....he is probably looking down & laughing at us.

RET LT JOHN MITCHELL..... REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....John was appt to SQ*3 & later transferred to R*2 & was a Chauffeur opposite me ...upon Promo to LT he was an instructor in Chauffeur School & Special Projects at the Rock.....he also as a FF had been a Chauf in SQ*3 & during one big snow storm he was driving the Stretch Carryall that was their Rig ...going around a turn he hit a snow bank that turned out to be hard packed from the plows...the impact snapped the steering linkage & the steering wheel came right off in his hands....luckily the snow stopped the Rig......another time John was working OT in my groups in R*2 & as we were turning out John Vigiano the LT slid the pole & said "hey John I got good news & bad news for you"......John said give the good news first & Vig said "we are going to a job"......John said "what's the bad news ?" .....Vig said "its in your bldg".....John had then lived in a Hi Rise in Coney Island.....(Vig knew the Fire floor was well above John's ) ..........John's Homecoming Service will be on Tuesday 3-7-23 at Brown Memorial Baptist Church 484 Washington Ave BKLYN NY.....Viewing will be at the Church from 1400 to 1700 hrs...the Funeral Service will immediately follow at 1700 hrs....John will be transported the next day 3-8 (time & place to be announced) & will proceed to Burial at Rosehill Cemetery in Linden NJ

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Did they leave the rig outside and he parked that in Qtrs.? Not too many parking spots that big in the City.

Did they leave the rig outside and he parked that in Qtrs.? Not too many parking spots that big in the city.
Squad 3 was so busy during the "War Years" that, even though, they had a firehouse to use they never had much time to spend there. Squad 3 spent time quartered with Engine 230 and Engine 235 at different times. Later the FDNY realized that the Squads were arriving at working fires with only tools, SCBA, and maybe a few rolled up lengths of hose. So, starting I think in the late 1960's all the Squad Companies were assigned Mack Pumpers, as a young fireman in the Early 1970's I worked a few tours, in Squad 3. Some kind of Union VS. NYC problems was the reason I was detailed to Squad 3. Lots of fire duty, but a long trip from my home in Orange County N.Y. - Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retiredFDNY Sguad 3 Mack.jpgFDNY-Squad-3 Patch.jpg