Assignment Cards

What does Engine 42R stand for? A company usually not assigned on a Box? Does R stand for "Reserve"?

An "R" next to the 3rd due ENG on an old card indicates that only 2 ENGs were to respond on the box....the "Reserve ENG" would remain in service in their area even up to a Fifth Alarm.....some ENGs really missed a lot of work due to this in the war years.

So if you were an "R" engine one of those really busy blocks you would never respond to that box?

I remember one particular ENG in BKLYN in the early '60s that was in "reserve" on all the boxes in a very large area that was to be the site of a multi bldg housing complex that covered several square blocks & was comprised of all types of bldgs...during the slow process of vacating them & being demolished most burned ....(in those days all demo work in a bldg w/Fire damage resulted in premium pay for the demo workers.. so do that math)....from the third floor rear of the FH you could see & smell the smoke but they did not respond. 

Do you have the assignment card for Manhattan box 1285 (103 St x Central Park West)?  Its the box in which I grew up and my folks spent 45+ years
Thanks.

FDNY75VA said:
Do you have the assignment card for Manhattan box 1285 (103 St x Central Park West)?  Its the box in which I grew up and my folks spent 45+ years
Thanks.
No, the closest I have to that location is box 1308 @Columbus & 106th.

Well that sort of explains why the quarters of L25 still has E74 inscribed above one of the doors.  So when did E56 disband and E74 move to its current quarters? As long I have been actively following the FDNY (since mid-1980s) E74 has been there.