Battalion Vehicles

What kind of equipment do the new Battalion Vehicles carry? Also Battalion Vehicles such as the SOC Battalion, Safety and Haz-Mat! What do they carry on with them any special equipment?

116ff60 said:
What kind of equipment do the new Battalion Vehicles carry? Also Battalion Vehicles such as the SOC Battalion, Safety and Haz-Mat! What do they carry on with them any special equipment?

SOC, I don't know,  but I can help a bit with the regular Batt. Vehicles.  They carry a mask for the chief and his aide as well as some extinguishers and spare cylinders.  They carry the sound powered phone for subway emergencies and the radio for the F.A.S.T. truck to use at jobs.  They also use the space in the back of the vehicle to pick up and deliver some replacement gear and tools to the firehouses in their battalion.

Thank you Mr.Bopp, Haha. If you or anyone else could find out special equipment carried by Rescue, Safety, and Haz-Mat Battailion Vehicles carry that would be great.

The problem w/the new Chiefs rigs are that even though they are bigger (11 inches longer than the excursions which were longer than the Suburbans) there is less usable space inside....the pullout in the rear cap precludes placing any bulky tools or equiptment in the back....in some qtrs the rig has to be pulled outside to allow the pullout to extend to even check equipt daily...also rear vision is limited.....the handy talkie recorder is in the large black steel box taking up most of the second seat area
(because there is no heat in the rear cap area)  leaving seating for only 2 in the front & 1 in the second seat  (as opposed to seating for nine if need be in the original '80s Suburbans).......also precluded is the use of the rear area to transport an injured civilian or FF if an emergency need arose.....this was the main reason for making them all 4 wheel drive years ago (even though they never had proper snow tires).....the added length makes them  somewhat more difficult to place out of the way at an operation......a vehicle like the GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe minus the pullout would suffice fine........general overkill in my opinon as far as a vehicle goes ..... ...in my old BN the sound powered phone system is assigned to one of the ENGs who carry them on their rig & can be special called to use them if need be. 

Not to mention the fact they aren't very buff friendly. I went to ride with a friend of mine, and I opened the door to the back seat, and I'm greeted with two sets of turnouts. I closed the door and said screw it, I'll wait till another time.

http://www.gmfleet.com/government/police/chevy-tahoe-4WD/index.jsp    ........A perfect Chief's rig.

68jk09 said:
http://www.gmfleet.com/government/police/chevy-tahoe-4WD/index.jsp    ........A perfect Chief's rig.
Yeah but departments like FDNY want a diesel engine. They are all over NJ running as chiefs already.

The department obviously wants diesel however the Members using the rig do not pay for the fuel so the type engine is of no consequence....what is important to us is what does the job best.....that would be the Tahoe as compared to the abortions they are now purchasing.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Equipment wise our chief has.
Gas meter,  thermal imaging camera, binoculars,  post radio, fast radio, 800mhz, fast pac,  window blanket,  sound power phone headsets, 

68jk09 said:
The department obviously wants diesel however the Members using the rig do not pay for the fuel so the type engine is of no consequence....what is important to us is what does the job best.....that would be the Tahoe as compared to the abortions they are now purchasing.

I do think they like the durability of a diesel engine.  Also, you know, we can fuel the chiefs rig in quarters.  Could you take it to the corner and get gas?  Sure, but then you'd need to do paper work and reimbursements, ect.  The job wants to buy on type of fuel and keep it simple.  I'm sure the city as a whole gets a great rate on diesel.  All the agencies must use close to 10,000 gallons a day.

It is a shame though.  This new batch of rigs does suck.  They might be longer, but the interior space is smaller.  You can't even turn the MDT, it faces forwards and thats it.

116ff60 said:
Why would a Chief carry a fast pac?
.....originally a few years ago when the fast pak was developed only the BNs carried it & the FAST unit got it from the BN rig....today all FDNY LADs & RES & SQ s have them on board....better to have more than less.

Is this the same for the Rescue, Haz-Mat, and Safety Battalion Vehicles or do they carry special Equipment other then what regular Battalion Chiefs carry? Also what type of Equipment does the Division Chief carry in their Vehicles the same as Battalions or stuff that reflects a higher command role?

I thought all Batallion and EMS supervisors were assigned new GMC vehicles about 2 years ago. I recently saw Batallion 18 and 44 assigned a Excursion, they were not spare vehicles. Does anyone if those are newer vehicles?

Some still have the latest of the excursions.....when the large present crew cab rigs were decided upon there were 11 BNs that due to space being tight in qtrs SUPPOSEDLY were to get  the later model excursions as replacements for their earlier ones or some alternate rig......this obviously went out the window somewhere along the line after i Retired as the 46 got a new crewcab rig early on & as stated some BNs w/plenty of space in qtrs still have excursions.....again not that the excursions were a bargain as they were longer than the previous suburbans but at least shorter than the crew cabs which are 11 inches longer than the excursions.....aside from space in qtrs the space needed to get a Chiefs rig out of the way at a Fire scene also comes into play.......again GMC Yukon or Chevy Tahoe would have been the perfect choice.....(the lack of a diesel anymore in these is B S also). 

The GMC pickups only replaced the oldest Excursions, the '03 and older models.  A few of the '03s and most of the '05s are still in frontline service.

catry said:
The GMC pickups only replaced the oldest Excursions, the '03 and older models.  A few of the '03s and most of the '05s are still in frontline service.

Yes, B 52 has a 2005 Excursion

So the GMCs that EMS supervisors and most Batallions have, does anyone know they are holding up?

catry said:
Battalion 15 had a 2004 Excursion & they have a new GMC