Battalion Vehicles

baileyjeff said:
So the GMCs that EMS supervisors and most Batallions have, does anyone know they are holding up?
.....Regardless as to the fact that they might hold up OK....... the bottom line is they SUCK as as Chief's rig.

68jk09 said:
baileyjeff said:
So the GMCs that EMS supervisors and most Batallions have, does anyone know they are holding up?
.....Regardless as to the fact that they might hold up OK....... the bottom line is they SUCK as as Chief's rig.
You're right Chief! They're too big and they cost a lot.

68jk09 said:
baileyjeff said:

I've only gotten a brief look at the new vehicles as my Batt. doesn't have one yet.  They do seem really tight inside.  Much less space for the radios and MDT.  What are the other troubles?

BN-15
md21712.jpg

http://fdnysbravest.com

guitarman314 said:
68jk09 said:
baileyjeff said:
You're right Chief! They're too big and they cost a lot.

I believe they cost about $75,000

HOW ABOUT THIS AS A CONSIDERATION AS AN FDNY CHIEFS RIG AS OPPOSED TO THE MONSTER TRUCKS BEING PURCHASED NOW ?....................

May 31, 2012 |

The California Highway Patrol will shift to Ford's Police Interceptor Utility SUV as its primary patrol vehicle when it begins replacing aging Crown Vics in its fleet.

The P.I. Utility was the only vehicle that met the agency's specifications for payload capacity and provides versatility in handling a variety of missions including traffic enforcement, event security, and facility protection, state officials said.

Assistant Chief Erik Knudsen told the Los Angeles Times the agency preferred the P.I. Utility over the crop of new patrol cars because "the design of the new sedans is becoming smaller and lighter."

The state agreed to purchase the new enforcement vehicles from Folsom Lake Ford. The contract allows for the purchase of P.I. Utility SUVs for $26,578 and Ford P.I. sedans for $23,242. The state's Department of General Services will acquire the vehicles.

The all-wheel-drive P.I. Utility, which also arrives in a front-wheel version, has a payload capacity of 1,500 pounds. The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the P.I. Utility is 6,300 pounds, which measures its curb weight plus maximum payload. Curb weight in 4,630 pounds.

"The CHP does need payload capacity of 1,500 pounds," said Eric Lamoureux, general services spokesman. "The sedan doesn't meet the capacity."

The sedan has a GVWR of 5,700 pounds and a curb weight of 4,310 pounds.

Lamoureux said the agency's new patrol car must be able to transport 459 pounds of installed equipment such as a prisoner cage, lightbar, push bar, gun tub, in-car video system, fire extinguisher, and communications gear. The agency also required 880 pounds for a driver and three passengers; 96 pounds for safety equipment; 87 pounds for stored CHP equipment; and 55 pounds for a full-size spare tire.

The department plans to begin purchasing the vehicles in October after testing four vehicles and completing a fleet utilization study. Gov. Jerry Brown has instructed state departments to eliminate under-utilized vehicles from the fleet as a cost-saving initiative. As a result, some officers may lose take-home vehicles, especially if they aren't using them for enforcement.

The dealer agreed to deliver two P.I. sedans and two SUVs for the CHP's own regimen of testing that includes a five-mile high-speed run (at 125 mph); 90-0 mph braking; and a timed road course.

The agency typically replaces about a third of its 4,000-vehicle fleet each year. The agency's marked enforcement units include 2,300 sedans and 140 all-terrain vehicles.

By Paul Clinton

mikeindabronx said:

First, thanks Mike for that photo. Man, there's a lot of $hit back there to carry.

The dept I retired from went with the exact same thing for its battalion rig (only one). And they rolled out the back tray for me to see. There is more useless, unnecessary radios, and crap than I can believe. I would need to spend weeks in Probie School just to have a clue on how to use all that stuff. I guess the days of the battalion riding with his gear, an air pack, a map book, a portable radio and maybe a med kit and O2 are over.

There are several depts in Connecticut that went with the Chevy Tahoes, including some of the larger depts, and they seem to be working well for them.

Bulldog

Bulldog
68jk09 said:
HOW ABOUT THIS AS A CONSIDERATION AS AN FDNY CHIEFS RIG AS OPPOSED TO THE MONSTER TRUCKS BEING PURCHASED NOW ?....................
You do realize that the Ford's Police Interceptor Utility SUV is nothing but a Explorer and that the Ford's Police Interceptor Sedan is a Taurus don't you?  The new explorer is even based on the chassis of the Taurus.  Rather than the dependable rugged rear wheel drive platform of the Crowne Vic these are nothing but a FWD passenger vehicle that they add AWD to if the department wants it.

Bulldog said:
68jk09 said:
You do realize that the Ford's Police Interceptor Utility SUV is nothing but a Explorer and that the Ford's Police Interceptor Sedan is a Taurus don't you?  The new explorer is even based on the chassis of the Taurus.  Rather than the dependable rugged rear wheel drive platform of the Crowne Vic these are nothing but a FWD passenger vehicle that they add AWD to if the department wants it.
Yes i realize that...i would not bring the taurus into a discussion of Chiefs rigs.....it should be an SUV type....Tahoe would be my 1st choice but an Explorer would be better than the current monster trucks the FDNY is purchasing......as far as the Crown Vics they are on a good platform but were never suitable in my book for a Chiefs rig......the ones the FDNY purchased for Div Chiefs were very quickly disposed of when the series of major fires occured from rear end collisions thruout the country w/PD vehicles... this is when the Divs got the Excursions like the BNs......(subsequent to the FDNY phasing them out Ford did offer some kind of retrofit to somewhat protect the gas tank from failing if the car was rear ended ).......the only crown Vics that remained mostly were used in the EMS Branch. 

Bulldog

Bulldog
68jk09 said:
Yes i realize that...i would not bring the taurus into a discussion of Chiefs rigs.....it should be an SUV type....Tahoe would be my 1st choice but an Explorer would be better than the current monster trucks the FDNY is purchasing...
Part of my point was that the new explorers are no longer a true SUV, they're now built on an automotive chassis instead of a truck chassis and I don't believe that would hold up very well in this service.  They said they do agree that the Tahoe, would be a good choice.