Bids for next round of Engines ( Info from Redlight)

Bulldog said:
IRISH said:
This is the quote from that site.....

For you FDNY fans- KME won the bidding for 91 new FDNY engines with Seagrave winning the bid for new squads. Stand by on this, I'm being told this might be a rumor that is being circulated with no truth to it.

That wouldn't fill me with confidence  ???
This wasn't on the site earlier so I'm assuming the author received some additional information.  It will be interesting to see what the official announcement is.
According to the site, it has now been confirmed that KME has won the bid, but I do not know the source is:

"Update on FDNY - it is confirmed that KME has won the bid for the engines. The contract has not been officially signed as of yet as the company has to agree to FDNY's warranty and specification terms."

http://www.firenews.org/news.html

Thought any Company putting in a bid for new Apparatus had to agree to the warranty and specs befor being awarded the Contract?

The following is a quote from Redlight:

"Hopefully, this will dispel the many rumors regarding  the large three year contract to build and deliver a total of 91 FDNY pumpers of 2000 gpm capacity. The original bid opening for this took place on February 22, 2012. The low bidder was KME. I wish to make clear that NO purchase order has been given to KME, or either of the other two bidders,  Ferrara and Seagrave, as of TODAY (May 1, 2012). Many rumors from several individuals on this and other websites have told about KME getting the contract back in March and April, however these were ALL incorrect. Several factors still have to be resolved before any contract can be awarded to any of the three bidders. It may be another few weeks before this occurs."

Thank you Redlight.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Is there an actual document someplace that even shows that KME is the low bidder, or is that just a rumor too?

Bulldog said:
Is there an actual document someplace that even shows that KME is the low bidder, or is that just a rumor too?
Yes, in the latest (May-June) issue of "Fire Apparatus Journal" ;)

This is the problem with the internet - somebody posts something and POOF - it is fact.  Most things I don't believe unless I see it with my own two eyes - but if "redlight" posts some information on anything FDNY related, you can take it as fact - no further proof needed!  If KME does happen to get the contract, it will be nice to see even more variety in the FDNY fleet after years of everything Seagrave - not that I don't like Seagrave, but variety is the spice of life!  (This statement is from an apparatus buff's point of view - the reliability and quality of the apparatus to keep the members safe is the first priority of course, no matter what the nameplate on the grille says!) 

I'm starting a new rumor, let's see how far it goes. The new rig contract has gone to "Crown" for pumpers and "Pirsch" for truck companies! ;D

In a stunning development this morning, Mayor Bloomberg announced that the city has decided to stop all competitive bidding for the city?s fire apparatus, and instead will use sole-source contracting with the resurrected Crosley Motor Company.  Bloomberg said ?this will save the city millions of dollars with only a very slight impact on the quality of service provided.  In addition, it will allow us to reduce manpower even further, since only two people can fit in the Crosleys."  He also showed photos of the new Crosley apparatus, which will enter service in the city beginning next year:

images

images

:eek: ::) ::) :eek:

I have some more info, Ahrens Fox is interested in the engine contract while Magarius is looking to introduce turntable aerial appliances! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just one clinker, Grump . . . you can actually buy a new fire truck today with "Ahrens Fox" on the name plate.  HME bought the name a few years ago, and is trying to make people believe their stuff is Ahrens Fox quality.  See http://www.firetrucks.com/

I kinda figures HME brought the right, how about E-82 working with that large dome, or any FDNY E-company??? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

You guys are beautiful, and funny!  Only problem is, when the real truth comes out, it might be hard to believe!

raybrag said:
Just one clinker, Grump . . . you can actually buy a new fire truck today with "Ahrens Fox" on the name plate.  HME bought the name a few years ago, and is trying to make people believe their stuff is Ahrens Fox quality.  See http://www.firetrucks.com/

Oh boy...now we're going to pine away for the days of Ahrens Fox?  They're like Mack.  If they were so terrific....were'd they go?  OUTTA BUSINESS.  You know who doesn't miss the days of Mack?  Guys that I work with that actually used them in the city.  They were hot, loud, didn't have breaks, no A/C and the ride was terrible.  They rusted like Chinese tin and you were luck if the pump handle didn't come right off when you pulled it for water.....sounds like I really missed out  ::)

The bulk of the issues with rigs today is the excessive over-complication of systems, thanks to that useless organization the NFPA.

Bulldog

Bulldog
JohnnyBopp said:
The bulk of the issues with rigs today is the excessive over-complication of systems, thanks to that useless organization the NFPA.
They aren't totally useless, they keep a lot of mechanics employed repairing all the complicated devices!  In regards to the Macks, I rode and drove them for many years and would definitely take them over any of the newer apparatus.  The new ones are certainly much more comfortable but when it comes to putting the blue stuff on the red stuff they were marvelous!  They may be falling apart around you but they kept running and pumping.

Bulldog said:
JohnnyBopp said:
They aren't totally useless, they keep a lot of mechanics employed repairing all the complicated devices!  In regards to the Macks, I rode and drove them for many years and would definitely take them over any of the newer apparatus.  The new ones are certainly much more comfortable but when it comes to putting the blue stuff on the red stuff they were marvelous!  They may be falling apart around you but they kept running and pumping.

They did, I agree.  However, I'm going to say that in today's world of computers and gizmo's, Mack would be suffering the same frustrating issues we see with pretty much every current day builder.  Mack built rigs when you were allowed to build honest trucks, not driving computers.

Bulldog

Bulldog
JohnnyBopp said:
Bulldog said:
JohnnyBopp said:
They did, I agree.  However, I'm going to say that in today's world of computers and gizmo's, Mack would be suffering the same frustrating issues we see with pretty much every current day builder.  Mack built rigs when you were allowed to build honest trucks, not driving computers.
I really wonder how much of the computers and other complicated systems are really mandated and how many are moves by the manufacturers to make things "simpler"?  The only real mandate that may be affecting them that I know of is the new pollution control restrictions for diesel engines.  The rest of the mandates could just as easily be accomplished with straightforward systems instead of all the bells and whistles as far as I know.