BRING BACK ENGINE 261

CALL TO REOPEN ENG*261....  http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2018/12/call-to-reopen-engine-261-in-light-of.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

UFA 65-2 12-17-18.. QUOTE. .PRESS CONFERENCE : REOPENING OF ENGINE 261. the UFA will be joining Congresswoman Carolyn Moloney as well as other local politicians at the quarters of Ladder 116 (at 37-20 29 St Long Island City NY 11101 ) discussing the reopening of Engine 261 on Wednesday December 19, 2018 at 1 PM. Member turnout is needed. All off duty members are invited. Members are requested to attend in FDNY or UFA sweatshirts & jackets , no uniforms. UNQUOTE.

capthale said:
The one the squad took over
First off. One doesn?t have anything to do with another. 
Secondly, they didn?t lose an engine company, they just changed what if responds to.

The re-activation of Engine 261 is different from calling for additional units in Hudson Yards.

Engine 261 was not closed because of operational needs.  They were running calls and their area did not have a reduction of hazards or population.  In fact today, the population and potential challenges are greater than before.  They were closed for financial reasons.  The city did not wish to allocate the funds to keep them operating.  They did not say that the company wasn't necessary.  The need for their existence is known, documented, and equal to or greater than before.  Reactivating the company is a matter of allocating the funds, not re-justifying the statistics.

Engine 19, on the other hand, has been gone from the Hudson Yards area since 1947.  The hazards and the population have changed dramatically since then.  The company was disbanded along with other companies because activity levels and military logistics hazards along the piers and yards dropped in the post war (WW2) years.  Some of those companies were redeployed as new units in other parts of the city.  Now the demands are expected to increase beyond the capabilities of the present area companies, so additional companies will be needed.

The 1939 second sections and 1947 first sections were all eliminated to facilitate an additional platoon NOT because of a lack of need for their existence.

The FD operated a three platoon system years ago, i.e., 12A-8A, 8A-4P, 4P-12A, before going to the two platoon system of 9A-6P and 6P-9A.

wfd444 said:
The 1939 second sections and 1947 first sections were all eliminated to facilitate an additional platoon NOT because of a lack of need for their existence.
Closing second section companies in 1939 provided staffing for a third platoon but the respective first section engines, ladders and firehouses remained open.
The 1947 companies and their firehouses were closed.
Staffing versus number of companies has been discussed in many ways for decades.

1939 - E5-2, E7-2, E13-2, E16-2, E18-2, E26-2, E30-2, E31-2, E33-2 and L2-2, L5-2, L20-2, L21-2
1947 - E4, E19, E20, E25, E29

manhattan said:
memory master - any idea when and why that change was made?

Thank you.
I am guessing now that it was the very late 1940's or early 50's. I believe the UFA was instrumental in implementing that change. I cannot recall my dad doing anything but the two day tours with a 48 hour swing and two night tours with a 72 hour swing. He was on the job from '37 to '58 and I do remember him speaking about the three platoon chart but I'm only guessing on the circa dates. Hope that helps.

FDNY three platoon system began on 3/1/37. It was department-wide on 12/31/39. The three tour day was trialed in the late 1940's, I believe in the 5th Division. Yes, there was a roll call at midnight. It was ditched in less than a New York minute.

I remember my father telling me that the two shift system did not return at one time and that certain battalions and divisions worked the two shift system while neighboring ones continued working three shifts.

lucky said:
I remember my father telling me that the two shift system did not return at one time and that certain battalions and divisions worked the two shift system while neighboring ones continued working three shifts.
Yes the old 12th BN continued to work the 3 eight hour chart well after the rest of the Job switched....the theory back then was that the had the busiest Units in the City at the time & it would be too taxing to work longer than eight hours straight...little did anybody know what was in store in years to come.

So will it be Engine 12 or Engine 19 that comes back to life?Or will it be none at all? Or will they close one to re-allocate resources? Will they add a Truck Company? what number will that be? So many questions for our wandering minds!