"Brooklyn to..."

B

Bigandy

Just heard a dispatcher refer to Engine 222, as "Brooklyn to triple deuce." My first time hearing something like that. Is it common practice to refer to an engine/truck like that? Kinda caught me off guard, but the officer shot back his response rather quickly.

Engine 55 has been referred to as "double nickels". Heard it once afew years ago.

In the Bronx you'll often hear a certain excellent dispatcher calling "Rescue Company Number Tree" as well as "Tower Ladder Tree - Tree" ...

tl-ff said:
Some of the dispatchers will call the company by their nicknames.

I've heard Brooklyn to..."Tally Ho",    Brooklyn to......"The Happy Hookers" (don't know if that's still used),    Brooklyn to...."Tonka Truck"
  And as "69 Mets" say's, you'll always know when the Beef is working in the Bronx.
  Add it all together and its just one Class Operation.

Ocassionally you will hear "Big Blue" or "Bronx Blue Devils" amongst others. This used to go on more, till they PC Police invaded the C.O.'s too..........

Still waiting to hear Brooklyn to the blue boomerang you can return to SI K.  LOL

I can remember when Ladder 112 was referred to as Ladder 1-1-twelve.  Triple deuce has been around for many years , as has 2 1/4.

There are people in the upper echelons who think such conduct is unprofessional. You'll only hear such things when it "slips" out.

Before they were 1-1-12 they were the No-Frills truck.

FD347 said:
There are people in the upper echelons who think such conduct is unprofessional. You'll only hear such things when it "slips" out.

That's sad because the FDNY has some of the Best Dispatchers in the World. I wouldn't consider things like "Triple Duce" or "Bronx Blue Angels" Unprofessional at all. In fact its probadly actually good for everybody's morale. But my vote doesn't count.

tl-ff said:
Still waiting to hear Brooklyn to the blue boomerang you can return to SI K.   LOL

I think if they said that i'd bust a gut. Seriously.

I once heard a NYPD dispatcher call for the 122 Satellite Pct. as "Satellite, oh satellite where art thou oh satellite?"

It's amazing that they are worried about, if an Engine is called by it's nickname, when a quarter of the EMS and NYPD are very difficult to understand some times. On a regular basis you hear "Repeat, Central", they do a go Job other then "at times" it's difficult to know what they said.

ENG*232 ( before it was disbanded in the super bowl sunday incident)  was known as BMA ......when given a run on the air they would reply BMA on the way......also in the morning voice alarm test certain dispatchers would call BMA over the voice alarm instead of 232....& in certain issues of the BELL CLUB runs & workers the company was listed as BMA .

FD347 said:

I think "One-One-Twelve" goes back to their days on Madison Street.

Maybe to you, however it's a New York accent and in all the time I worked in the Bronx, I never came across any of the Brothers who had a problem with the accent or the dispatcher. As a matter of fact, he's well thought of and respected by the men and he's also an excellent dispatcher ... That's all that matters to me.

Way back in the dark ages, when I first started flying weather reconnaissance, we relayed encoded weather observations to ground stations by HF radio . . . and the reception was never great.  We were taught to enunciate the number three as "TREE" because it was believed that this was easier to understand amid the static, weak signal and background noise we were dealing with.  Seems this dispatcher simply had the same instructors I did. So there may be a valid reason for the practice.