"Brooklyn to..."

XLIVLIXXVIII said:
69 METS said:
In the Bronx you'll often hear a certain excellent dispatcher calling "Rescue Company Number Tree" as well as "Tower Ladder Tree - Tree" ...

It sounds ridiculous.

Actually in the military that's how the number 3 is pronounced over the radio.
WUN
TOO
TREE
FOW-ER
FIFE
SIX
SEV-EN
AIT
NINER
ZEE-RO

HOW COPY OVER?

Bxboro said:
Why was 232 aka BMA ?   I missed that one.

I had the same question Bxboro. Its probadly something very simple to understand, but in my years, I've never heard it. So "68jk09" can you help us out a bit.
  As for that Dispatcher that says "Tree" instead of "Three". I had the honor of meeting him a few months ago. A long history with the FDNY and really into it. Former Dispatcher Tree Tree Oh, if you're out there, you're one of my favorites.
  And who remembers the Manhattan Dispatcher who used the say: "Manhatten Box ..... is in for.......". I think his number was 124. He still buffs. I think he has a brother on the job. I don't think he remembers me, but I've talked to him a few times in the Bronx. Once was a crane collapse on Prospect Ave a couple of years ago. Good Man.

turk132 said:
Herb Eysser #124

Yes John, that's him. I saw him a few times buffing in the streets of the Bronx. I guess he's been retired few years now. If you're out there Herb, enjoy your retirement. I think it's pretty safe to say, "you had a few busy nights working that Manhattan C.O." I know, I heard a few of them.

Herb is still around; I saw him at the Bell Club dinner in June.  His brother, George, rose as far as Battalion Chief, I believe.

Herb is a true gentleman. As a frequent (and most welcome) guest at our firehouse, I really enjoyed sitting in the kitchen and listening to his wealth of F.D.N.Y. nostalgia over a cup of coffee. Also an excellent dispatcher.

Thanks XLIVLIXXVIII.

But those were different times with different challenges.  Not for one minute do I regret my time as a dispatcher in the Bronx during the late '60s and early '70s, nor my time riding with an engine company from '63 till '72 thanks to the Civil Defense Auxiliary program. While we didn't have computers, or AC to keep them (and us) cool, we also didn't have RACs, TACs, MERVs, etc. Nor did we have different response patterns to keep track of depending on the time of day, whether the moon is full, or some chief decides to override the supervisor and men. Somehow we managed to roll the rigs without being titled as the alarm dispatcher, decision dispatcher, etc.  We did the best we could with what we had, as did the fire companies. Given what I've read and heard as to the new dispatching, I'm  glad I worked when I did. The men and women today have challenges we could have never imagined, and, in my opinion, have as difficult, and rewarding, a job as we did.

The dispatchers during the 60s-70s were just as dedicated as were the members,  I'm sure they worked as hard as any of us during those times ( except for the heat and smoke of course)  They were a constant source of entertainment as our traveling light show toured the district.  And being NY born an bred I never noticed any accents.

"Disp 51" you certainly are correct. Yes, the times have changed both for dispatchers and firefighters. And its not only in the FDNY. I retired from a small 60 man dept in Connecticut. Years ago, we, as firefighters did the dispatching, now civilians do it. We didn't wear air packs, now we wouldn't think of fighting a fire without an air pack. If gasoline, antifreeze, or oil spilled on the roadway we would just wash it down the storm drain. There was no D.E.P. just as no R.A.C. or FAST Co. We would watch the ambulance go a block up the street, but it wasn't our job to play doctor and go on medical calls. But if the trash can was burning in front of that house, a few hundred thousand dollar Engine with three firefighters would go.
 Times have changed for the fire service. It was just a Great time to be a part of it. But for the most part, it just couldn't stay the same. If the Busy War Years fires had kept going, I don't think there'd be much left of NYC today. Just as we can still enjoy the music of the Doo Wop Era today, we can still enjoy telling stories of those great FDNY years that past us by. But it just will never be the same as it was then. Same as Today will never be the same as Tomorrow.

People don't realize the job the dispatcher has to do. People in the field see their piece of the puzzle and think that's the only problem there is but the dispatcher sees all the pieces of the puzzle and has to make all these pieces fit somehow and utilize his resources accordingly. Imagine what this was like during the busy times.

To  answer the question regarding ENG*232/BMA......this was their nickname that they coined themselves.....they were a very strong UNION house  (& an excellent Firefighting unit in a busy area) .....it stood for "Brother My Ass".......I had the pleasure of covering some vacations there before they were disbanded.........also some above mentioned Herb Eysser.....a Dispatching legend & lifelong FireBuff who i have known since before i was on the JOB......Herb & his brother George (Ret. B.C.) also a big buff & Fire Dept historian were both at my retirement party last April (pictures on "firstonscenephotos" website in FDNY Gallery)  they are both gentlemen.....their Dad was a career member of the N.Y. Fire Patrol.

Nice to hear about Herb Eysser, the first dispatcher I ever met. A friend and I showed up at the Manhattan CO about 20 years ago and he welcomed us in, gave us the grand tour and allowed us to hang out for quite some time.

Thank you for the info on Eng 232 and "BMA". As I remember, it was a pretty sneaky way that E232 got closed down. And its nice to know that some Great dispatchers are finally getting the credit due them.

We can occasionally slip with a 3 and a Quarter, or a 2 and a Quarter, but that's about it. Like Frank said, we get spanked otherwise.
As far as the gent with the Roman Numerals is concerned, as was stated before, the challenges we face today are much different than the challenges faced 35-40 years ago.

Back then, you had to scramble to see if anyone was available. Now, we have to scramble to make sure we're sending the right units to emergencies via the SOC Matrix, or that CIDS is read to the FAST Truck on a 10-75, or that all notifications are made on a 10-45. If you could see the mounds of paperwork promulgated by those "Greatest Dispatchers" who are still in the job from back then, and some of their predecessors, it would make your head spin.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but the utmost respect for those who came before me. I would have loved to have either been alive during those days, just to experience it first hand, or, been a fly on the wall in a few other situations.