CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENT FOR FIREFIGHTERS, EMTS & POLICE OFFICERS

mack

Administrator

MFD - Candidates with any legal permission to work in the country are now eligible to apply regardless of citizenship status, and those who move on to the exam portion will be able to take a video-based multiple choice test online in place of the in-person test previously administered during traditional business hours.

Note - Current US citizenship requirement for fire and police employment varies state-to-state, department-to-department.

- FDNY and NYPD current requirement:
  • Be a U.S. citizen at the time of appointment.

Last edited:
Very slippery slope. How do you perform a quality - deep dive background check on some of these people who come from countries with poor records. How do you keep the chances of hiring a foreign agent, foreign intelligence agent or terrorist as low as possible? On the other hand desperate measures are often the results of desperate times. It seems a large portion of the American public dosent want to do any type of work anymore unless it’s for at least $25 an hour sitting at home behind a computer screen in their pajamas on an individually flexible schedule. I never thought I’d see the day where career Fire departments would have difficulty recruiting candidates. It’s the continued decline of a once great nation

Remember that Madison, Wi is the northern outpost of Nicaragua.

What are the DOD Regs for non-citizens in the US military?

I know a guy here in town whose father was a Filipino mess attendant on a USN ship. Junior likes to brag that among his eight siblings, he is the only U.S. citizen. He was born at the USN hospital in San Diego.

Very slippery slope. How do you perform a quality - deep dive background check on some of these people who come from countries with poor records. How do you keep the chances of hiring a foreign agent, foreign intelligence agent or terrorist as low as possible? On the other hand desperate measures are often the results of desperate times. It seems a large portion of the American public dosent want to do any type of work anymore unless it’s for at least $25 an hour sitting at home behind a computer screen in their pajamas on an individually flexible schedule. I never thought I’d see the day where career Fire departments would have difficulty recruiting candidates. It’s the continued decline of a once great nation
As for recruiting candidates I realize that the majority of the fire service runs are of the EMS variety, with Haz-Mat and suppression in the minority. Many departments list being either EMS or paramedic qualified to apply for positions. My son did many assist the ambulance calls while being a Federal firefighter but he was not EMT qualified which made his getting hired difficult. He is a great firefighter but did not pursue the EMT route as well. Perhaps departments are limiting themselves by mandating the EMT qualificaton as well.

MFD - Candidates with any legal permission to work in the country are now eligible to apply regardless of citizenship status, and those who move on to the exam portion will be able to take a video-based multiple choice test online in place of the in-person test previously administered during traditional business hours.

Note - Current US citizenship requirement for fire and police employment varies state-to-state, department-to-department.

- FDNY and NYPD current requirement:
  • Be a U.S. citizen at the time of appointment.
Absolutely ridiculous....