Collapse Rescue

Okay just to clarify the new collapse rescues! The specs were made before the new rescues were ordered. At the time they didn’t think they were keeping all the spare rescues. The Ferraras being so bad they decided to have a back up rescue truck with everything the rescue has on the collapse rig basically. So recently the collapse in the bronx R11 was called in for prolonged ops relieving R3 SQ61 SQ41. Instead of tying up another another Rescue and Squad they will have the new collapse rigs which are basically rescue trucks with more collapse equipment on them.

Now the Rescue 6 subject. It was kept because how bad the Ferrara spares are…. Each rescue goes on rotation for special events. If R1 reserve rig is down they would have to use someone else rescue. That’s where R6 comes into play who ever is on the rotation and they don’t have their reserve they will use R6… Was a time not to long ago where R11 R14 R4 R12 R6 where all OOS and R4 was using R13…. Currently R6 is OOS and has issues unknown if it’s coming back.
So what your saying is is that the collapse rigs will be equipt with things such as water rescue, high angle gear but mostly carry collapse related equipment such as paratech struts, shoring and every thing else used for collapse but can be placed in service for other incidents if needed with call back soc personnel?

So what your saying is is that the collapse rigs will be equipt with things such as water rescue, high angle gear but mostly carry collapse related equipment such as paratech struts, shoring and every thing else used for collapse but can be placed in service for other incidents if needed with call back soc personnel?
Yes

Okay just to clarify the new collapse rescues! The specs were made before the new rescues were ordered. At the time they didn’t think they were keeping all the spare rescues. The Ferraras being so bad they decided to have a back up rescue truck with everything the rescue has on the collapse rig basically. So recently the collapse in the bronx R11 was called in for prolonged ops relieving R3 SQ61 SQ41. Instead of tying up another another Rescue and Squad they will have the new collapse rigs which are basically rescue trucks with more collapse equipment on them.

Now the Rescue 6 subject. It was kept because how bad the Ferrara spares are…. Each rescue goes on rotation for special events. If R1 reserve rig is down they would have to use someone else rescue. That’s where R6 comes into play who ever is on the rotation and they don’t have their reserve they will use R6… Was a time not to long ago where R11 R14 R4 R12 R6 where all OOS and R4 was using R13…. Currently R6 is OOS and has issues unknown if it’s coming back.
its like at what point does a department say our spare-spare rescue is to old to keep in service (but if you look at the FDNY with its former Foam units quite long)

I'm sure there is a significant cost savings with buying in bulk, i.e. five Rescues at a time, but then you get your entire fleet worn out at the same time...I wonder if it would make sense to have a five year contract with one Rescue delivered per year and then at the end, take a year or two to review/revise the specs and start again, keeping them on the seven year cycle. (Although the delivery times between the latest Rescue 5 and Rescue 1 was pretty damn long!)

Pierce seems the odd man out in the last bunch of years, did they stop bidding altogether or just stop with super-individual spec rescues like FDNY requires? Obviously if R1's old rig is/was working as R6 they built a quality product

Pierce seems the odd man out in the last bunch of years, did they stop bidding altogether or just stop with super-individual spec rescues like FDNY requires? Obviously if R1's old rig is/was working as R6 they built a quality product
I’ve heard that pierce does not even bid on fdny.

Pierce does not bid on FDNY proposals. The Pierce Rescue 1 was bought through a Homeland Security purchase, so Pierce didn't have to meet FDNY specs or provide the standard FDNY warranty (which is a BIG bugaboo for lots of manufacturers, and may just be the reason KME quit building FDNY rigs even though they had the contract).

Pierce doesn’t make a stainless steel cab which is a sticking point for the FDNY. They only offer stainless bodies.

Ferrara and KME both basically designed cabs specifically for the FDNY.

RCL

its like at what point does a department say our spare-spare rescue is to old to keep in service (but if you look at the FDNY with its former Foam units quite long)
If they use NFPA specs, which is what it sounds like where the 10 year replacement schedule came from, for front line units, I want to say off the top, of my head it was 10 years as frontline, another 5 or 10 years as a reserve/spare ( depending on local verbage) and if you rehab a unit, you can gain extra time. So the older Mack foam pumpers, for example, could go to 25 years of service in theory since they were rehabbed by the shops, and their no longer front line.
Again this is from memory. I do remember front line units were 10 years. Little hazy on the rest of the numbers.

RCL

Rescue and Haz-Mat vehicles after seven years, info from Ops Ref book.

I'm not surprised. When you look at the average engine or ladder response area and call load vs the rescues, and Haz Mat, they get beat up faster since they run basically the entire Boro and the city. I would not be surprised if Haz Mat was up there callwise with the top 2 or 3 rescues as far as responses.

I'm not surprised. When you look at the average engine or ladder response area and call load vs the rescues, and Haz Mat, they get beat up faster since they run basically the entire Boro and the city. I would not be surprised if Haz Mat was up there callwise with the top 2 or 3 rescues as far as responses.
I highly doubt that , Rescue 2& 4 are doing about 34, 3500 runs a year in two of the biggest bourghs. I’m not sure what their numbers were last year, even with all the lithium batteries runs but I don’t think it’s that high.

Last edited:
what I can’t believe is all the taxes the good people of New York City pay that the city can’t fund five dedicated hazmat units, five hazmat engine companies, five hazmat medic units and five hazmat latter support companies to form five hazmat task force to support the needs of the FDNY, and have their respected areas covered with all the money that comes in there. Are you telling me that this can’t be funded. i’m just curious on where all the money goes but I’m sure I have a good idea and it’s the people the citizens, the good old-fashioned New Yorkers that suffer and this puts wear and tear on other vehicles stress on members and when something does really really happen which we all know it has already 911 for example, that was just the taste and that’s very sad to say but something bigger can happen and the FDNY needs to be ready and prepared. That’s all I’m saying.

what I can’t believe is all the taxes the good people of New York City pay that the city can’t fund five dedicated hazmat units, five hazmat engine companies, five hazmat medic units and five hazmat latter support companies to form five hazmat task force to support the needs of the FDNY, and have their respected areas covered with all the money that comes in there. Are you telling me that this can’t be funded. i’m just curious on where all the money goes but I’m sure I have a good idea and it’s the people the citizens, the good old-fashioned New Yorkers that suffer and this puts wear and tear on other vehicles stress on members and when something does really really happen which we all know it has already 911 for example, that was just the taste and that’s very sad to say but something bigger can happen and the FDNY needs to be ready and prepared. That’s all I’m saying.
there are 39 ems haz-tac units 11 of them are recue medics , there are 4 haz-mat tech engine compines with the 8 squads can operate as a hazmat tech units . however there is no real need for more then the one hazmat unit as the run volume isn't that high they would probably spend more money staffing more hazmat units then buying a new rig for hazmat 1