Congratulations to Ladder Company 56 on their 50th Anniversary!

New "Free Ladder 56" buttons on sale last night...... Thanks to you and Matt Daly hundreds of pictures were shown documenting  the Brothers on Monroe and Webster Aves...? cannot thank you enough Brother.

"mikeindabronx" web site featuring many photos of the members of Ladder 56.

www.fdnysbravest.com

turk132 said:

New "Free Ladder 56" buttons on sale last night...... Thanks to you and Matt Daly hundreds of pictures were shown documenting  the Brothers on Monroe and Webster Aves...? cannot thank you enough Brother.

Thanks JG, I have a few of the original buttons shown in my photo

Congratulations to the Officers and Members of L-56, Past and Present.
As a Brooklyn kid I was wondering where did "Free Ladder 56" come from and how did they get the nickname "Rapid Axes" ?

1261Truckie said:
Congratulations to the Officers and Members of L-56, Past and Present.
As a Brooklyn kid I was wondering where did "Free Ladder 56" come from and how did they get the nickname "Rapid Axes" ?

The truck was not happy leaving E42 on Monroe Ave and going to Webster Ave with E48 and Div7. Not sure how long it lasted, but after the move the Truck was in the 56 Battalion and E48 was in Battalion 18 for a period of time. Pete Ortell L56, a great artist, came up with "rapid axes" in response to "rapid water" which was tried in certain engines.

Old rumors are that 42 & 56 were having way too much fun together.  56 was "temporarily" relocated for the last 36 or so years.  I'm told that 56 kept their lockers at Monroe Av for several years.  As told to me by a L56 member from that time.  others say L 59 going to 43 in 1978 crowded the area.
L 56 broke into the top 10 in runs and workers shortly after being formed.  they stayed there for many years.
my L 56 alumni also told me that the area changed a lot.  when they first got there all the work was down the hill toward Washington Ave- 46&27 area.  then after a few years the 43 and 75 districts changed overnight into a war zone.  One example was Montgomery & Popham Ave- he said they were normal blocks they never went to.  Then within two years they were bombed out vacants, as he said- at least a 100 jobs in a very small area in a short time.  half the buildings on those two blocks were torn down.  hard to believe.

scoobyd said:
my L 56 alumni also told me that the area changed a lot.  when they first got there all the work was down the hill toward Washington Ave- 46&27 area.  then after a few years the 43 and 75 districts changed overnight into a war zone.  One example was Montgomery & Popham Ave- he said they were normal blocks they never went to.  Then within two years they were bombed out vacants, as he said- at least a 100 jobs in a very small area in a short time.  half the buildings on those two blocks were torn down.  hard to believe.

The above quote is very true. It was unbelievable how quickly that area went down the tubes and was burned out. The area West of Webster Ave up to Fordham Rd became the hot spot once the 1980s kicked in. I would study the workers for ladder companies in the Bronx and year after year Ladders 33, 44, 49, 56, and 59 were showing up on the charts in the 80s.

Prior to that it was Ladders 19, 27, 31, 38, 42, 48, 58 until there wasn't much left to burn after the FDNY War Years. 

Further south Ladders 17, 29, were holding their own as well.

50 Year's - wow, how time flies by!!

Much CONGRATULATIONS to the Officer's & Member's of Ladder Co. 56 - much good health to you and your families in the next 50 year's and beyond ---- and be safe out there!!!!!!!