Connecticut's Firefighters Saddest Day

Some 54 years ago, it remains the most tragic day throughout the history of the fire service in Connecticut. That day, on April 3, 1962, when FOUR Norwich, Ct Firefighters lost their lives in a chemical explosion which occurred on Forest St in that city. It is known as the Van Tassel Explosion and it took the lives of Fire Captain William Sheriden, Firefighter Leonard Counihan, Firefighter Edward Ramano, and Firefighter Carl Burke.

The only two firefighters surviving that explosion were Firefighter Thomas DeMauro, who has since passed on, and Lt Thomas LaFreniere. Retired Lt Tom LaFreniere had to face what no other Connecticut Firefighter has ever had to face. The loss of Four of his Brother Firefighters at one incident.

Here is Lt LaFreniere's story as he spoke in 2012 at the Van Tassel Memorial Dedication, on the 50th Anniversary of that Tragic day in April, 1962.

Part 1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN1BPGG1FY8

Part 2
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5frVersO0Ag

Norwich Fire Dept dedicates Van Tassel Memorial on 50th Anniversary April 3, 2012
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdkfWu1D6wI 

CONTINUED RIP TO THE ORIGINAL FOUR AS WELL AS THEIR TWO BROTHERS.

nfd2004 said:
Part 1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN1BPGG1FY8

I just wanted to pass on a little bit more about this Retired Firefighter (Tom LaFreniere). A veteran of the Koren War, he was also awarded the U.S. Military Bronze Star for his act of valor during combat. Tom lives only a few minutes from my house and I've known him for almost 40 years. Yet, I never knew that until just recently. He is a True American Hero.

On June 4th (2016) Tom will celebrate his 88th birthday.