DC Ray Downey's Proby Tips

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
When I entered the firehouse for the first time as a Proby, I was handed a paper of tips to help me as a Proby. These tips would also serve as basic buildings blocks for the rest of your career.

In 1990, Deputy Chief Ray Downey wrote the following tips and gave this hand written list to his son Deputy Assistant Chief Chuck Downey as he started his career as a Probationary Firefighter. This paper hung in Chief Chuck Downey's locker until is promotion to Lieutenant and then carried in his briefcase while an officer for years. Recently it was laminated to protect it from future damage and is a true piece of history for this legendary family.

Chief Ray Downey Proby Tips.jpg
This letter is being shared with permission of the Downey Family.

Read More about Chief Ray Downey in the attached PDF.

Attachments

• September-2021-Deputy-Chief-Ray-Downey.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 22
When I entered the firehouse for the first time as a Proby, I was handed a paper of tips to help me as a Proby. These tips would also serve as basic buildings blocks for the rest of your career.

In 1990, Deputy Chief Ray Downey wrote the following tips and gave this hand written list to his son Deputy Assistant Chief Chuck Downey as he started his career as a Probationary Firefighter. This paper hung in Chief Chuck Downey's locker until is promotion to Lieutenant and then carried in his briefcase while an officer for years. Recently it was laminated to protect it from future damage and is a true piece of history for this legendary family.

View attachment 30128

Read More about Chief Ray Downey in the attached PDF.
R.I.P. Ray

View attachment 30128

Read More about Chief Ray Downey in the attached
Had the pleasure to work with Ray for some time just a great officer, also played college football with him for a year I was freshman & he was senior many years ago. Incredible family, Great teammate, even better Friend, Awesome Boss.......... BROTHER.

Ray was the Captain of our hockey team back in the day. We were good friends. Leaving the Rock when I was a LT in L-26 and I see him, walking back to the main building. Stop the rig and talk to him for several minutes. He is a 58/26 Alumnus. The 26 guys couldn’t believe I was able to do that. His sons are also friends of mine.

Attachments

• 19F2987B-7B1A-459A-BDB1-F8A60D715A5A.jpeg
    19F2987B-7B1A-459A-BDB1-F8A60D715A5A.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 31
Chief Ray Downey gave many classes at the Rock, donating his time for the FDNY Burn Center, run by then, the late Lt Jimmy Curran.

Those classes would be held the first Saturday of the month and for a small fee ($25.00) they were offered to anyone, firefighters, buffs, etc
The fee included lunch and they would be held on January, April, July, and October.

Along with Chief Downey, there were other FDNY members who offered their time as well.