Difference between different alarms

I am struggling finding anything on the difference between a few alarms, any help would be appreciated.

All hands working
Initial alarm
Signal 7-5
First alarm

Thanks!

Signal 7-5 is All Hands which is using all units on scene. Which can be confusing because they can use 2&2 and go all hands under control.

Initial Alarm for report of Fire is 3 engines 2 trucks and Battalion they can use all those units and go All Hands UC.

All Hands Assignment use to get the Division, RAC, and I think Fast Truck at a time but not everything goes on the 10-75 and even the load up now.

All Hands Assignment use to get the Division, RAC, and I think Fast Truck at a time but not everything goes on the 10-75 and even the load up now.
7-5 gets a notification to BFI. 10-75 does not.

Loading up only gets 4&2 and the normally assigned rescue and squad.

A 10-75 is a "request" to fill out the 1st alarm assignment, this usually includes 3 Engine 3 Trucks = Ladder Companies, the last Truck is assigned as the F.A.S.T. = Firefighter Assistance and Search Team = "rapid Intervention ladder co." Also responding normally on the 10-75 in One Battalion Chief and normally the assigned Rescue Company and a Squad Company, if available. When all these units are on the scene or responding and all of them will be put to work the fire becomes an "75" = All Hands "AT WORK" If the incident commander, be he or she a Company Officer or a Chief Officer request additional unit/s above the 10-75 request, normally the "75" ALL HANDS GOING TO WORK= is transmitted. ANY "75" All Hands at Work an "Additional Battalion Chief = All Hand Chief and Deputy Chief Normally respond. I say normally because in my career I have seen times when no additional nearby Battalion Chief and No nearby deputy Chief are available. FDNY 5th alarm during Black out 1977 Looking North from Above.jpg
Photo is of a Major Fire in Brooklyn during the City Wide Black Out of 1977. During this "Black Out" the FDNY in Brooklyn ran Out of Units available to fight fires, in some areas. Units were sent from other N.Y. City Boroughs, but it took them time to arrive due to the large number of fires in all N.Y. City Boroughs. In just 24 hours the FDNY responded to over 1,300 working fires in the city of N.Y. during the 1977 "Black Out"
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

A 10-75 is a "request" to fill out the 1st alarm assignment, this usually includes 3 Engine 3 Trucks = Ladder Companies, the last Truck is assigned as the F.A.S.T. = Firefighter Assistance and Search Team = "rapid Intervention ladder co." Also responding normally on the 10-75 in One Battalion Chief and normally the assigned Rescue Company and a Squad Company, if available. When all these units are on the scene or responding and all of them will be put to work the fire becomes an "75" = All Hands "AT WORK" If the incident commander, be he or she a Company Officer or a Chief Officer request additional unit/s above the 10-75 request, normally the "75" ALL HANDS GOING TO WORK= is transmitted. ANY "75" All Hands at Work an "Additional Battalion Chief = All Hand Chief and Deputy Chief Normally respond. I say normally because in my career I have seen times when no additional nearby Battalion Chief and No nearby deputy Chief are available. View attachment 33727
Photo is of a Major Fire in Brooklyn during the City Wide Black Out of 1977. During this "Black Out" the FDNY in Brooklyn ran Out of Units available to fight fires, in some areas. Units were sent from other N.Y. City Boroughs, but it took them time to arrive due to the large number of fires in all N.Y. City Boroughs. In just 24 hours the FDNY responded to over 1,300 working fires in the city of N.Y. during the 1977 "Black Out"
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
1st Alarm doesn’t consist of the 4th engine?

All hands is using 3 & 2. Bob has seen many variations of both the 10-75 and 7-5. A 10-75 does get the 4th engine. The “all hands chief” and division now go on 10-75. Years ago, both went on all hands doubtful

HCO

As of 11-08-21 (and still current)

10-75: 4 engines: 3 ladders (3rd is FAST), 2 battalion chiefs, 1 division chief, 1 rescue company, 1 squad company, 1 RAC unit.

7-5 (All-Hands), control of fire is “doubtful” -- all units normally assigned on 10-75.

Last edited:
I thought sometime in the last year or two “normally assigned rescue and squad” was changed and now a rescue and squad are always assigned even if they are not the “normally assigned”. I would have read this info somewhere on this site

I thought sometime in the last year or two “normally assigned rescue and squad” was changed and now a rescue and squad are always assigned even if they are not the “normally assigned”. I would have read this info somewhere on this site
Loading up. Normally assigned
10-75 or all hands. Nearest avail

Yes a Rescue and Squad are dispatched always now no matter if it’s R5 going to the Bronx…. If no rescue is available a SOC Support Company will Respond with SSL to get a SOC unit to the scene I believe in place for the squads also.

Not to add confusion but if a company is understaffed, less than the required number of members, either engine or ladder isn't another company added?

Not to add confusion but if a company is understaffed, less than the required number of members, either engine or ladder isn't another company added?
It both ladders are Reduced staffed (officer & 4 ff)
Then on a 10-75 we will assign a 4th ladder

If companies are understaffed (officer and less than 4 ff) we will assign a total response not to exceed 4 engines and 4 ladders.