Doolittle's Raiders

On this date in 1942 16 brave aircrews led by Lt Col James Doolittle left the decks of the USS Hornet to strike heart of the Japanese Empire, Tokyo. Although damage was minimal there was great pyscological damage to the people and had a profound effect on the military leadership. This raid prompted the attempted invasion of Midway where the defeat of the Japanese forces has been described as the turning point of the war in the Pacific. Sadly all 80 brave crewmembers are no longer with us, the last toast has been offered.

Attachments

• Doolittle.jpg
    Doolittle.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1
On this date in 1942 16 brave aircrews led by Lt Col James Doolittle left the decks of the USS Hornet to strike heart of the Japanese Empire, Tokyo. Although damage was minimal there was great pyscological damage to the people and had a profound effect on the military leadership. This raid prompted the attempted invasion of Midway where the defeat of the Japanese forces has been described as the turning point of the war in the Pacific. Sadly all 80 brave crewmembers are no longer with us, the last toast has been offered.
Jimmy Doolittle...I don't think that kind of person is allowed in American institutions any more.

Jimmy Doolittle...I don't think that kind of person is allowed in American institutions any more.
Last person I can think of who came from the mold was Brigadier General Robin Olds a triple ace with 17 aerial victories in WWII and the Vietnam War. He showed extraordinary leadership in SEA as the CO of the 8TFW at Ubon RTAFB and later as the Commandant at the USAFA. One great mustache as well!

Last person I can think of who came from the mold was Brigadier General Robin Olds a triple ace with 17 aerial victories in WWII and the Vietnam War. He showed extraordinary leadership in SEA as the CO of the 8TFW at Ubon RTAFB and later as the Commandant at the USAFA. One great mustache as well!
Agreed! The problem is; first time he makes some snowflake cry, he's gone.