E58/L26

Just a quicky from my observations form the bravesy luve radio and runs and workers, why exactly is the fire factorys units so busy considering they dont get that many fires any more?

l26 i belive in the recent past has been rated as tghe busiest truck company in the USA, but all they seem top get on the live radio is stuck elevators and E58 EMS runs?

Not knocking it i was jusr curious??

regards

JT

58/26's house is surrounded by projects which makes for tons of EMS and utility runs which is what you're hearing, but they're also in a central location that makes them 2nd and 3rd due to the busy bits of Harlem and the Upper East/West sides.  All those runs and workers add up.

thanks guys, they seem to get a lot of runs, but not many fires despite their logo... guess times have changed.

So L26 is the busiest truck company in the USA, on utility runs! wow! I did hear that E75 and TL33 were the companies still performing close to how they were in the war years, but no where near as busy as thay were,. but still busy for fires. Simmilar to brooklyns E255/TL157.

B

Bigandy

You gotta think, doing all those EMS runs has got to be like a toothache. I got an uncle who worked down in DCFD on an Engine and the Rescue (Lieutenant Billy Taylor), doing close to 8-9 thousand runs a year back in the early '70's-80's. They'd be running around all night, doing this, that and the other thing. They'd get back from an EMS run or something, and the phone would be ringing wanting to speak to the Officer on duty and it'd be dispatch ordering them to head on down to the hospital for shots because the patient they treated had TB or some sort of infection etc. Duly noted "You gotta take the good with the bad." And that's basically what it is for all those busy engine companies. Majority is EMS/utilities, but on the other hand, they usually get the most OSW's too.

That is pretty much most of the runs in the Nashville area. Hontesly I would be bored as HELL if wasnt for our EMS jobs. But would trade Fire runs anyday for the bandaid jobs.

B

Bigandy

Some of those EMS jobs, might be an even bigger threat than any type of fire if you think about it. You never know what the person might next to you has, or wants to give you with all that's going on now-a-days.

londonfireguy said:
thanks guys, they seem to get a lot of runs, but not many fires despite their logo... guess times have changed.

So L26 is the busiest truck company in the USA, on utility runs! wow! I did hear that E75 and TL33 were the companies still performing close to how they were in the war years, but no where near as busy as thay were,. but still busy for fires. Simmilar to brooklyns E255/TL157.

Look a bit North and East for work.....E62 L32 have been the spot for steady work for sometime....during the "War Years" they where a camp....it wasn't until the neighborhood changed.

The Williamsbridge and Wakefield sections of the Bronx are doing a lot of the work nowadays. But don't forget that there are far fewer companies up there. Compare the distances between E's 62,63,38,97 and 66 and that between E's42,46,88,48 and 75 or other similar clusters to the south of the borough.

B

Bigandy

It looks like 62 has a larger response area, than some of the other busy companies. I've never been in 62's area, what's up there? A lot of PJ's?

Big Andy I assume you meant pd's. The response area for 62/32 contains large MD's, Taxpayers, High Rise MD's and Private Dwellings. Plus the usual mix of odd occupancies rehabbed buildings and so on. Many taxpayers under white plains road, due to elevated train and noise, ask the guys in 62/32 about the train noises.

B

Bigandy

Actually I meant Projects. I just assumed that because of the high run counts. Thanks for clearing that up for me Mac.

Andy

There has been a big change in the dmographics of the Williamsbridge Wakefield area mainly because of drug and gang activity on and near White Plains Rd and Edenwald Houses vicinity. There are a lot of private one two family homes mixed in with 4, 5 & 6 story MD's and rows of taxpayers on your main streets like White Plains, Gun Hill, & Boston Rd's. E62/L32 also go west into Norwood where there are many large apt. bldgs. of "H" type and high rise variety. Having worked for 34 yrs with the US Pistol Service, I can tell you from our "Change of Address" activity that the same people living in Mott Haven, Melrose, Morrisania & Hunts Point in the 60's moved to Highbridge, Morris Hts, Tremont, Fordham & Soundview in the late 70's then to Bedford Pk., Kingsbridge, Norwood, Parkchester & Williamsbridge in the 80's & 90's and now out to Wakefield & Westchester Sq. 

On the map it looks like one heck of a gap from Engine 62 looking towards Engine 97 & 90's area

vbcapt said:
On the map it looks like one heck of a gap from Engine 62 looking towards Engine 97 & 90's area
Yes, but going towards E97 there are mostly private homes and smaller apt. bldgs., going towards E90 is a different story as that area is more densely populated.

The FDNY had plans to organize additional companies in the vicinity of Allerton Avenue and Boston Road and another near Montifiore Hospital in the 1930's. These would have closed the gaps between E's 90 and 62 and 79 and 62, respectively, as these areas became more populated. Due to The Great Depression and WWII it never happened.

After the War, a lot of the area northeast of Allerton and Boston was still farmland but was developed as mostly single or duplex family dwellings during the 1950's. Due to the low population density no companies were added until the construction of CO-OP City (E66/L61).

Normal response in the northern parts of the Bronx (Riverdale, Norwood above 205th St, Williamsbridge, Woodlawn, Wakefield, Eastchester, Baychester Westchester Square, and Throggs Neck) was a 2 and 2 due to the scarcity of companies and low density of buildings. Even an All Hands was kept at 2 and 2 unless the chief specail called a third engine. A second alarm brought an additional 3 engines and 1 truck above the special call.

Today, with a higher incident rate in the area and the computerized response assignments bringing more units, those fewer companies are doing a lot more (and longer) running.

Thanks for the backup G-Man.

Some things to notice on this run card of 1955:

The first alarm response was actually a 2 and 2, as E96 was then a Quad. It rolled in as both an engine and a truck.

The battalion chief could special call E61 for an All Hands or just go to the 2d alarm and get a 4 and 1. Tough decision.

There was only one battalion chief on an All Hands, with a Deputy Chief assigned in on the 2d Alarm. (The column marked "Covering Chief' indicated who would respond to any other boxes in the vicinity that came in while this incident was still operating.) No 10-75 Chief, no Safety Coordinator Chief, etc,.

No Rescue 3 (then quartered with E71), or Squad (they did not yet exist) or any other special units. It was up to the battallion chief or deputy to request anything else they thought might be necessary.The Police Emergency Unit, which had the FDNY telegraph bells in their quarters, would usually go automatically on a 2d Alarm.  (Their rigs were very similar to the FDNY rescue apparatus, only painted dark green and white. No "battle of the badges" back then.)

No ladder company relocations between the 2d and 5th Alarms. L38 (at L47) and 32 (at 41) then covered the entire area from the Bronx Zoo to Hunts Point to Throggs Neck to City Island on succeeding alarms. And behind them, L27, L33, and L37 had as much to cover in the areas vacated. (No L56, 58, 59, or 61 in those days.)

Times do change.