E63/L39, Rescue and other stuff...

mack

Administrator
Roofman4 - I had the same interest discovering the old former firehouses that are still extant. I learned a lot from the experts on this site (jbendick, Guitarman, Johnd248, vbcapt and all the others).  From them, I learned about the Mike Boucher's FDNY History Page (http://www.nyfd.com/mikes.html).  There are lists of not only the FDNY firehouse locations/dates, but also the original Brooklyn Fire Department units/locations and all the pre-FDNY volunteer units and locations, by boro.  Many of these old houses are still standing, even if disguised as stores, garages, apartments, community centers. 
If you take a list and plug the unit location into "Google Maps", you get the approximate or even exact map location.  Click on the yellow figure icon (left side of the map at the top of the scale change - sorry if you know this already) and drag the dotted circle under it to the map location.  You will see the current street image at that location.  You might have to use the Google Maps rotation arrows (top left of screen) or the street arrows to move up or down the block.  I found Google is close but not exact.  I was very surprised to find so many of these old and interesting buildings have survived over a hundred years after their poles were slid for the last time.  These were buildings fire horses lived in as well as firefighters.  You can sometimes find a new FDNY facility down the block. 
I just looked at an old firehouse for Rossville H&L 1 located at 2355 Arthur Kill Rd., Staten Island.  It was disbanded in 1903 and it is currently a "Crazy Goat Feed Shop".  Maybe that is a good retirement career for those quarters.  The new quarters for E 168 are 2 blocks away at 1100 Rossville Ave. You can look at them both thanks to Google.
I wonder if there are any books which contain pictures of these old firehouses, especially a book which covers what they looked like when in service.

Thanks Mack.

Found this while I was using street view to see some of the "old" houses. When I google mapped E27 @ 173 Franklin St...a link came up for this:

http://www.engine27.org/    not too sure whats going on here, but interesting nonetheless...maybe someone out there knows and could let us know.

RM4

mack

Administrator
Roofman - I don't know what up with that site.  It could be good when completed.

There is a very good historical site for BFD ( http://www.bostonfirehistory.org/) which includes images of all their old quarters as well as apparatus, history fires.  I have not found a similar FDNY site.  It would seem that some historical society or organization would find it a worthwhile challenge before history loses pictures that are still available from relatives, old newspapers and collections.  I guess the Fire Museum and NYC archives would have this history, but it would be nice to be able to access it.  Many of us have past FDNY relatives or interests in FDNY history.   

Wasn't E-63's house originally built as new quarters for E-63, L-39 and BC-20?
If memory serves me right, L-39 did not move in when the house was completed for two reasons: 1) there was a problem with the apron and 2) pressure from L-39's neighborhood.

What are the current renovations going to do to the quarters to "improve" them?

mack

Administrator
Roofman - There are sites with historical firehouse pictures for other cities - Cincinatti http://www.cfdhistory.com/htmls/Cincinnati_Firehouses_1890.html and Detroit http://www.detroitfirefighters.net/firehouses.htm 

1261Truckie said:
Wasn't E-63's house originally built as new quarters for E-63, L-39 and BC-20?
If memory serves me right, L-39 did not move in when the house was completed for two reasons: 1) there was a problem with the apron and 2) pressure from L-39's neighborhood.

What are the current renovations going to do to the quarters to "improve" them?

15th Battalion was supposed to go there.

Some old firehouses have been bought and converted into luxury residences. Two that I have been impressed by are Engine 203 on Hicks St., Bklyn and Engine 154 on Hannah St., Staten Isl. They were redone like those old carriage houses of Manhattan's East Side which had the stable door replaced with one made of wrought iron and glass. The apparatus floor ceramic tiles have been preserved along with other amenities. Outside of NYC, there's an old 2 bay firehouse on Palisade Ave. in Jersey City that once housed a disbanded ladder co. and their water tower. It was purchased by 'Queen Latifa' a few years ago. She had the two apparatus doors redone with two small curved planters in front of glass and sculpted iron windows and she even kept all of the wall tiles on the apparatus floor and the old spiral stairs.

332 and 175's old quarters are both auto repair shops now. There's also a couple of houses that are now EMS stations. E-232's old house on Rockaway, Engine 63's on White Plains Road, 75/33 on Jerome Avenue.

I believe the E203 house is owned by an urban planner that my firm corroborates with from time to time - On one occasion for sure, and possibly two, they shot movies in the house - he had to leave for several months at a time but was very well compensated.

FDNY150 said:
332 and 175's old quarters are both auto repair shops now. There's also a couple of houses that are now EMS stations. E-232's old house on Rockaway, Engine 63's on White Plains Road, 75/33 on Jerome Avenue.
E 68 old quarters on Ogden Ave.

mack

Administrator
Why aren't more former firehouses registered under the National Registry of Historic Sites to preserve some history?  The requirements on their web site would seem to be met:

"To be considered eligible, a property must meet the National Register Criteria for Evaluation. This involves examining the property?s age, integrity, and significance.

Age and Integrity. Is the property old enough to be considered historic (generally at least 50 years old) and does it still look much the way it did in the past?
Significance. Is the property associated with events, activities, or developments that were important in the past? With the lives of people who were important in the past? With significant architectural history, landscape history, or engineering achievements? Does it have the potential to yield information through archeological investigation about our past?"

Benefits offer preservation and protection.  It would seem that some of these old classic firehouses deserve more than transition to repairing transmissions. 

I believe E17, TL18, & Batt 4's old house is also some type of auto shop.

M

mmattyphoto

R3 has not moved yet and will try to put up some photos of the new house.

jbendick

Administrator
These were the signals that were in the communications manual when I started  the job in 1968. In early 1969 we stopped using the telegraph key for in service signal and went to the department phone
Signal Meaning

2                                                        Time Signal,   12 noon
2-2                    Second Alarm
2-3                                                  Acknowledgment signal
2-9                                           Marine Company not required
2-9 Marine Company not required
3 (a) special building box
(b) repeat the signal
3-3 Third Alarm
4 Battalion Chief
4-4 Fourth Alarm
4-4-4 In service signal
4-4-4-4 return to regular working system
5 Engine company
5-5 Fifth Alarm
5-7 Engine & Ladder Company
5-5-5-5 Display National Flag at half mast
6 Marine Company 
6-5 Use Telephone
6-5-2 Monitor Radio
6-6 Borough preliminary Manhattan and Bronx
6-6-6-6 Establishment of 24 hours on duty; 24 hours off duty system
6-6-6-6-6 Establishment of continuous duty system
7 Ladder Company
7-5 (a) Call for full first alarm assignment
(b) Notification signal, all first alarm engine & ladder company operating
7-7 Borough preliminary Brooklyn
8 Squad Company
8-8 Borough preliminary Richmond
9 preliminary signal, special unit
        Terminal 1, 2, 3 (a) Department ambulances
        Terminal 12 (b) High Ladder Units
        Terminal 21, 22, 23 (c ) Searchlight Units
        Terminal 91-32 (d) Field Communications Unit
        Terminal 41 (e) Mask Service Unit
        Terminal 51 Super pumper system complete
        Terminal 52 Super pumper & tender only
        Terminal 53 Satellite 1
        Terminal 54 satellite 2
        Terminal 55 Satellite 3
        Terminal 61 thru 66 (g) Thawing Apparatus
        Terminal 71 (h) Community News Service
        Terminal 81 (i) Foam Apparatus Unit
9-2 Malicious false alarm
9-9 Borough preliminary Queens
10 Rescue company
11 Telegraph Test
13 (a)Apparatus unserviceable when about to proceed to alarm received or breaks down during response to alarm
(b) Apparatus unserviceable while in quarters or in the field during inspectional or similar activities, prior to receipt of alarm to which assigned or special called
( C) Engine or Ladder company stops to extinguish fire while responding to another alarm; or while returning from alarm and additional help required
13-1-13 Air raid warning alert signal
13-2-13 Air raid warning take cover signal
13-65-2 Radio system temporarily inoperative
14 increase, reduce, or shut down pressure on high pressure system, Coney Island
15 Relocation of Engine Company
16 Relocation of Marine Company
17 Relocation of Ladder Company
18 Return all unit except engine company ladder company and battalion chief present at scene

Hey Capt. ... That was back when you washed the apparatus wheels because there actually WAS horse s**t on them ...

To 69METS. I was photographing Chicago area rigs back in the early 80's and went to a nearby western suburb to take some pixs. I was told they could not take the rig out because they would have to wash the tires! Don't insult my intelligence, just say NO and I would leave. Do not want to embarass the suburb but they had one of the few ALF/Gruman quints.

Wow Grumpy ... how much effort would that have taken? We frequently used to pull the rig out on the apron for visiting photographer's ... courtesy & company pride