EMS Dispatch

Does EMS utilize the FDNY Alarm Box numbers and their corresponding locations for dispatching purposes?  If not, will that happen with the new CADS coming on line?  If I missed this topic in a previous thread, my apologies!  Thanks!

C'VILLE 7111 said:
Does EMS utilize the FDNY Alarm Box numbers and their corresponding locations for dispatching purposes?  If not, will that happen with the new CADS coming on line?  If I missed this topic in a previous thread, my apologies!  Thanks!
I've been retired from EMS for five years. When I was there, the use of alarm box numbers was not used  except in fire or MCI situations. Then the EMS I/C would be known as (box number) xxxx Command. Things may have changed so I don't want to give you a definite answer. As far as the new CADS I haven't a clue ;)

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The box numbers are not intergrated into ems cad in the way fire is. I would expect to see it show up more when the new cad goes online. Remember it will be a combined cad

Will the present PD based ambulance unit numbering be continued with the new CAD system?  What is the advantage to having two different kinds of numbering for units working together within one agency?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The PD sectors in EMSCAD worked very much like box locations. You might see them carry over into the new CAD only because they will be linking the two cads together.

EMS uses GPS now for dispatching but still based on the PD Atoms.  GPS just tells cad what ATOM the unit is in. I believe the SUGU strings have no GPS feature unless they rebuilt them using BARB

Atom refers to the precinct and sector the ambulance is in or passing through. SUGU is the list of Suggested Units the computer spits out for a specific ambulance run and that's based on the current Atoms. Confusing isn't it? ::)

memory master said:
Atom refers to the precinct and sector the ambulance is in or passing through. SUGU is the list of Suggested Units the computer spits out for a specific ambulance run and that's based on the current Atoms. Confusing isn't it? ::)

Wow !  :eek:

Think of it this way as a rough analogy: the EMS ATOM is like our BOX in that each ATOM (box) has a predetermined response (SUGU, alarm assignment) based on the units 89 (CSL - firehouse) location. AVL throws the whole concept into the trash though.

That's my understanding of it. Feel free to correct me.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
to expand on the SUGU a little.
Lets look at this map of the 52 and then say each letter is an atom.
So you have 052A to 052N which is what EMS used to create the CAD.  For what every reason EMS copied alot of things NYPD did. In FDNY terms think that each of those are a box.

Now bring in SUGU.  So if a call comes in from an address in 052F the computer will look at the SUGU string which will say something along the lines of:
052F-052G-052D-052E-052H, etc

So now onto how it picks which unit to assign.  Lets say we have EMS units 27A - 27D.
27A is 10-89 which is within 052H
27B is 10-99 at the station in 052E
27C is just going 10-8 from a hospital in 052D
and 27D just drove into 052G to get some food. 
GPS will update the units location and atom as the drive around, old days you have to do this by mdt commands.

So now computer see's that 27D is in 052G atom which means they get the run.

Lets also add another EMS only thing.  27D is now on the way to the scene and it's a EDP (non - emergency ) call. 27D is still in service for runs until they go 10-84.  So when a call for a cardiac arrest comes in they can be pulled off and assigned to that incident. 

52-precinct.jpg

Thanks to all for the great info!  With the new FDNY CADS on the horizon, will all of this change? 

Probably. But the funny thing about horizons is that no matter how fast you go, it's always the same distance away. Rumor says we're still at least 2 years way.

tbendick said:
to expand on the SUGU a little.
Lets look at this map of the 52 and then say each letter is an atom.
So you have 052A to 052N which is what EMS used to create the CAD.  For what every reason EMS copied alot of things NYPD did. In FDNY terms think that each of those are a box.

Now bring in SUGU.  So if a call comes in from an address in 052F the computer will look at the SUGU string which will say something along the lines of:
052F-052G-052D-052E-052H, etc

So now onto how it picks which unit to assign.  Lets say we have EMS units 27A - 27D.
27A is 10-89 which is within 052H
27B is 10-99 at the station in 052E
27C is just going 10-8 from a hospital in 052D
and 27D just drove into 052G to get some food. 
GPS will update the units location and atom as the drive around, old days you have to do this by mdt commands.

So now computer see's that 27D is in 052G atom which means they get the run.

Lets also add another EMS only thing.  27D is now on the way to the scene and it's a EDP (non - emergency ) call. 27D is still in service for runs until they go 10-84.  So when a call for a cardiac arrest comes in they can be pulled off and assigned to that incident. 

52-precinct.jpg

So basically, it?s very simple.  In your example, the scenario might be an MOS in RMP 52H on a 10-75 at PS 46 calls 911 for a 10-54 at E 194 & Grand Concourse.  The CAD will locate an ATOM in the 52 Precinct (not to be confused with the 52 Battalion in Queens) to assign a unit that is 10-97, 10-89 or at least not 10-84 at a 10-63 EDP.  ATOM 52G will SUGU Unit 27D BLS from the 27 Battalion EMS (not co-located with the 27 Battalion Fire, and not to be confused with the 27 Precinct which does not exist but would be otherwise located in Manhattan) for Box 3379 to which Engine 79 or Ladder 37 might also respond on a 10-37 Code 3. Or something like that?

Costello: I throw the ball to who. Whoever it is drops the ball and the guy runs to second. Who picks up the ball and throws it to What. What throws it to I Don't Know. I Don't Know throws it back to Tomorrow, Triple play. Another guy gets up and hits a long fly ball to Because. Why? I don't know! He's on third.
Abbott: Now that's the first thing you've said right.
Costello: I don't even know what I'm talking about!

So basically, it?s very simple.  In your example, the scenario might be an MOS in RMP 52H on a 10-75 at PS 46 calls 911 for a 10-54 at E 194 & Grand Concourse.  The CAD will locate an ATOM in the 52 Precinct (not to be confused with the 52 Battalion in Queens) to assign a unit that is 10-97, 10-89 or at least not 10-84 at a 10-63 EDP.  ATOM 52G will SUGU Unit 27D BLS from the 27 Battalion EMS (not co-located with the 27 Battalion Fire, and not to be confused with the 27 Precinct which does not exist but would be otherwise located in Manhattan) for Box 3379 to which Engine 79 or Ladder 37 might also respond on a 10-37 Code 3. Or something like that?

Costello: I throw the ball to who. Whoever it is drops the ball and the guy runs to second. Who picks up the ball and throws it to What. What throws it to I Don't Know. I Don't Know throws it back to Tomorrow, Triple play. Another guy gets up and hits a long fly ball to Because. Why? I don't know! He's on third.
Abbott: Now that's the first thing you've said right.
Costello: I don't even know what I'm talking about!

[/quote]

So would this be what you mean ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

fdny1075k said:
So who's on first?

52H and 27D 10-84 10-54 in 52F
And Engine 79 10-37 3379 10-91
222 East 194 on the 22 Floor Apt 22C
987 @ 2234

Naturally!

K

(FD347 ? How?s that?)