Encryption of public safety frequencies growing nationwide

Here's another side to it, sometimes a missing person report is broadcast in NYC for example. The description is given and it goes out over the radio and someone monitoring it in the area may see something. Being that cops, fire or EMS can't be everywhere a citizen may help save someone who may wind up getting hurt or worse especially in the case of a child or elderly person. I'm sure at some point this has already happened. I've heard many of these broadcasts myself. Same thing for a crime committed and a description of a person or vehicle is given someone may see something. I don't think this idea of encryption has been really thought out its more to do with controlling what people are "allowed" to hear or not hear. Where I live in NJ many locals are encrypted and if something is going on you'll never hear about it. I have the right to defend my family and if there's someone running around the cops are looking for I should be able to prepare to defend myself and family if necessary. My opinion doesn't matter but that's it.