Engine 63 Ladder 39

Is Engine 63 and Ladder 39 now housed together for are they still in different houses if they are located together where?

E-63 & L-39 are quartered together in E-63's firehouse on E 233rd st. Battalion 15 is also in the firehouse. The firehouse is scheduled for some renovation work to accomodate all who are quartered there. L-39's old firehouse has been torn down and an EMS Station is now being constructed on that site. I think it will be EMS Station 27.

63's old house, a single bay built around 1909,  still stands on White Plains Rd at 229th St and is used as an EMS station. It was vacant for years.

The new quarters on 233d St was built to house both 63 and L39 but the citizens of Woodlawn blew a gasket that their truck company was being moved almost a mile away. After a brief time with 63, L39 moved back to their old house in response to the political pressure. L39 did relocate again to E63 in the 90's while their old house was renovated but that was short lived also.

When the Bloomberg Adminsitration decided to permanently move L39 to 63's quarters (about three years ago) they promised to build the EMS station for Woodlawn. When L39 did relocate, their old house was torn down within a few weeks. Rarely see the City act that fast. Probably to get rid of it before the political pressure arose again. Last time I passed 233d and Katonah I did not see any construction on the new EMS Station but that was last summer so perhaps it has started since then.

At the time it was torn down, L39's quarters was the oldest active house in the Bronx, built as E69 in 1899. I walked into a firehouse in Dallas TX a few years ago and there was the famous picture of E69 with their horses steaming west on 233d ST. The men had no idea of who was in the picture. Telling them the story got me supper with the lads of the DFD.

Construction is well underway at the EMS location, probably opening later this year, the renovations at 63/39/15 has been delayed a few times due to budget issues. Latest is April for start date on there quarters.

Actually 80/23 are scheduled to move home around may of this year. I do believe some of the money was allocated from the 63/39 project which is now hopefully starting this year.