FDNY 10-Codes

As my name implies, I am a Firebuff from the Chicago suburbs. I'm not a firefighter due to a disability, but some of my family are: my dad (POC FD 38 years and counting) and younger brother (started with same POC FD for 5 years, left for a full-time FD now 6 years & counting), and my uncle was  until he passed away(same POC FD, 39 years).

In Chicago and the 'burbs, as far as  I know, not too many 10-Codes are used. "10-1" for Immediate Police request and "10-4" for message acknowledgement are the only codes Chicago uses, that I know of. Plain English is so much easier and to the point. LOL

I have a lot of questions, and this one might be silly.

Are the FDNY members expected to have the 10-Codes memorized? It seems that it would be easy to forget one at any time, (ie. brain cramp LOL), especially in an emergency situation.

Are they available on some kind of laminated card that they can carry?

I wish I knew the answers and again I apologize if it sounds silly to ask.

I would say that most NYC FFs have memorized the 10 codes especially the more important & or often used ones....on any Promotion test they are certainly a subject for testing especially the more intricate sub codes.....i would bet many interested posters on here also know them inside out as well .

"ChiTown", I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever heard the members of the FDNY make a mistake when calling a specific code or signal over the radio. It just seems to run so smooth. It's just the same as they fight their fires or handle incidents. And those dispatchers on the radio are second to none.

If you ever want to hear some fire activity at it's very best, several years ago I bought a couple of audio CDs. I don't know if you can still get them or not. One was of "The Blackout of 1977" and the other was a "Busy Fourth of July" in Brooklyn. Those guys both in the street and the ones on the department radio, never missed a beat. Today of course the MDTs have reduced a lot of radio traffic.

I'm sure Chicago does a great job too. But I think if you ever get the chance to get to NYC and see these guys, you'd be pretty impressed. And I say that only as a buff.

We are hoping to have a Get Together in October, 2014. If you can, keep that in mind.