FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section

Thank you mack for that story of "The Chief - A Good Fireman" in reply 157.

In the 1980s and 90s, I spent a good portion of time in the area of Engine 92, Ladder 44, and Battalion 17 as a buff. I picked that area because during those years those companies would always be in the top five or so busiest companies in the city. I guess little did those guys know that I had them under surveillance because of the kind of work they were doing.

Going back in those days things were so much different. I remember stopping into the firehouse on Morris Ave right after a serious (fatal) fire down the street around Morris and 164/165 St. A run came in and they took me for the ride. It might have been for ERS no contact. After most of the pull boxes were removed, the neighborhood kids found a new toy to play with. Push the button for a fire on the box and when the dispatcher answers, run away. But that resulted in a response of a single engine company. Like so many other engine companies throughout the city, Engine 92 would be chasing these calls all over the neighborhood. But this was going on as the entire neighborhood was burning up.

The other companies mentioned, Engine 36 (RIP) and Ladder 43 were very busy as well and I often saw many fires in that Harlem area as well. Getting over to that area from 92/44 wasn't too hard to do.

I can also say that from what I saw then, during this very busy time, the moral was very high, just as during the so called FDNY War Years.

As a buff during those days, what a lucky guy I was to be able to see this whole thing. Of course it was certainly a very dangerous time to be a firefighter due to the fact that there was just so many fires.

As a buff during those days, many times I was invited into the firehouse and they didn't even know who I was. I was always so impressed with the Brotherhood throughout these firehouses. At times it seemed like these were just a bunch of kids having a good time at summer camp. BUT - When it came time to go out that door and do their job - THEY WERE SECOND TO NONE.

Had the pleasure of working on Morris Ave. as a boss, great tradition, great firefighters and fire officers, great times!

Amazing house and group of guys on Morris Ave.  I use to live with a bunch of them when I worked for FDNY Fire Communication.  I was at the firehouse this past weekend.  I also own a company that made the 44's on the grill of the Tower Ladder.  We have also made there patches out of wood 3D.

A LITTLE 108 FH HISTORY....    https://newtownpentacle.com/tag/ladder-108/

mack

Administrator
April 4, 1968 - Engine 234 - 1472 Bergen Street - FDNY Command Post

- Following death of Dr King (note "5-5-5-5" at housewatch under clock) FDNY command post established at Engine 234 for increased fire activity

"New York experienced spasms of looting and arson in Harlem and Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.
The perpetrators smashed windows and stole goods from several grocery, liquor and clothing stores in the early morning hours of April 5.

Times Square also saw an outburst of violence, and minor looting hit Columbus Circle.  In all, some 120 people were arrested in the mayhem. But there was no large-scale riot, no bloody confrontations with police, no raging infernos devouring whole blocks."

- NY Daily News 

Regarding the above post, those of us who were around 50 years ago, knew there would be trouble. And it happened in many cities across America.

I also would like to mention here, although he didn't say it, I believe the top photo in the above reply is "macks" father.

His father also played a large part in writing and setting up the procedures for companies assigned to various firehouses throughout the city during periods of civil unrest. Companies to respond together as Tactical Control Teams. I don't recall it's title but I believe it was "All Units Circular 138" (?), which contained many pages. 

It is All Units Circular that outlines the Emergency Command Procedures for civil unrest & or other large gatherings...it is still used today.....each team consisted of a BC...a LAD...two ENGs & PD.....the team responds together & for larger Fires more teams respond,

In the third photo down in the background you can see the old racks on the wall that held extra lengths of Hose in a FH that did not have a hose tower......these racks in 234s old qtrs remained on the wall until we (R*2) moved there in 1985.

mack

Administrator
Engine 29/Ladder 10/Battalion1 firehouse 193 Fulton Street 1866-1911:

Ladder 10/Battalion 1 firehouse 193 Fulton Street 1912-1968:

Note in the first photo, 10 Truck seems to be hanging draperies on quarters for some celebration.  They are using what in some departments was called a "Bangor Ladder" equipped with tormentor poles to help in raising and stabilizing the ladder.  They usually came in lengths of 40, 45 feet or maybe greater and were made of aluminum in later years.  Does anyone know if FDNY still carries these, or if not how long ago we stopped?

Attached is a pic of a Boston fire with such a ladder beside the man removing a civilian.

Attachments

• Boston L17 removal_resize_resize.jpg
    Boston L17 removal_resize_resize.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 515

mack

Administrator
811 said:
Note in the first photo, 10 Truck seems to be hanging draperies on quarters for some celebration.  They are using what in some departments was called a "Bangor Ladder" equipped with tormentor poles to help in raising and stabilizing the ladder.  They usually came in lengths of 40, 45 feet or maybe greater and were made of aluminum in later years.  Does anyone know if FDNY still carries these, or if not how long ago we stopped?

Attached is a pic of a Boston fire with such a ladder beside the man removing a civilian.

San Francisco Fire Department still uses wooden ladders and tormentor poles.

SFFD shops builds their own wooden ladders:

http://sf-fire.org/wooden-ladders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbu1HVFELog

mack

Administrator
SFFD wooden ladder drill - 65 foot wooden ladder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tATfPOWIvpw

mack

Administrator
Engine 24 firehouse 78 Morton Street 1865-1975

Note:  pre-FDNY original quarters of volunteer "Howard" Engine 34

Adjacent to 10 truck's old quarters you will notice a "Nedicks." The best orange drink and hot dog in a grilled buttered roll. And I think it was only a quarter. ;D

memory master said:
Adjacent to 10 truck's old quarters you will notice a "Nedicks." The best orange drink and hot dog in a grilled buttered roll. And I think it was only a quarter. ;D

Best orange drink ever.  And they were all over.

nedicks_02.jpg

300px-Nedick%27s-logo-dude.jpg

They were even at Macys:

macys.jpeg

As I recall, the "grilled buttered roll" was a thick slice of white bread folded around the hot dog.

Probably was but it tasted great. Besides, "grilled buttered roll" sounded more elegant when dining at The Orange Room.