FDNY assistance to Canada

Nope. The State Department literally just offered assistance this week.

Not sure if there is any real assistance FDNY can provide, are their members trained in forest firefighting?
The dept I work for is a major urban dept for our area (definitely not the size of FDNY but bigger then Buffalo) and we don't go into the bush to help with these fires. We go back fill the affected communities for the "normal" calls

The Governor agreed to send 6 people from the NY Division of Forestry to help out. I'm sure they'll be a BIG help.

The Governor agreed to send 6 people from the NY Division of Forestry to help out. I'm sure they'll be a BIG help.
Depending on what roles they’re going to fill, it can certainly be a sizable impact well above the number of people. 6 people sounds like folks intended to fill specific roles in either incident management or similar types of positions.

Re FDNY, the department does have an ICS team that could be deployed, but I suspect they’ll be low on the list to go since we’re off to a slow fire year here this far. Plenty of federal resources to rotate through first.

Here’s a great source of wild land info to get regular updates on what’s going where: https://www.nifc.gov/fire-information/nfn

Not sure if there is any real assistance FDNY can provide, are their members trained in forest firefighting?
The dept I work for is a major urban dept for our area (definitely not the size of FDNY but bigger then Buffalo) and we don't go into the bush to help with these fires. We go back fill the affected communities for the "normal" calls
I don't think there trained in Forestry, but they have helped with Brush/Forest Fires. A example is those Brush Fires Suffolk County had back in '96, FDNY sent 10 Engines, 2 Battalions and Staff Officers, they got relived the night of the St. George Hotel Fire.

Last edited:
Large wildfires in the States usually have an IMT of some sorts assigned to it. FDNY has an IMT which could easily be deployed- however ICS may be either non existent on Canada or completely different

FDNY has had major Brush fires in all five Boroughs, few realize that Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Queens all have large park areas, including Gateway National Park. Some park areas in both the Northern Bronx and Upper Manhattan have had serious Brush/Interface potential. I myself have been at Multiple Alarm Brush Fires both in Northeast Bronx, Staten Island and in Southern Queens. Alot of major Eastern Cities have serious brush fire/ interface problems, including Boston, Philadelphia, Plus as stated above units from the big cities have been used to augment brush firefighting in surrounding areas. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Attachments

• FDNY BFU-7 Quad Cab.jpg
    FDNY BFU-7 Quad Cab.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Boston BFU-55-M.jpg
    Boston BFU-55-M.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Philly FD B.R.A.T. Brush Truck.jpg
    Philly FD B.R.A.T. Brush Truck.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 14
FDNY has had major Brush fires in all five Boroughs, few realize that Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Queens all have large park areas, including Gateway National Park. Some park areas in both the Northern Bronx and Upper Manhattan have had serious Brush/Interface potential. I myself have been at Multiple Alarm Brush Fires both in Northeast Bronx, Staten Island and in Southern Queens. Alot of major Eastern Cities have serious brush fire/ interface problems, including Boston, Philadelphia, Plus as stated above units from the big cities have been used to augment brush firefighting in surrounding areas. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
Just thought I would throw in that the Large BFUs are really not good for NYCs brush fires as most are marsh and are too heavy. I am told that the Pick Ups BFU 4 & 8 and BFU 5 work a lot better for them. When they were using the Dually spares they worked better

I don't thing there trained in Forestry, but they have helped with Brush/Forest Fires. A example is those Brush Fires Suffolk County had back in '96, FDNY sent 10 Engines, 2 Battalions and Staff Officers, they got relived the night of the St. George Hotel Fire.
The Incident Management Team may not be directing the firefighting activities in another country, however they are more than capable of filling the roles in Planning, Logistics, & Finance/Administration. Some of it really doesn’t have a lot to do with firefighting such as “we need to feed, house and arrange bathroom facilities for 1,000 people” 😮.

Brush fires are different than what is burning here. These are fires being fought with airplanes. Yes there are hotspot and mop up activities but there are a lot of FF and brush apparatus that are closer than FDNY. Canada uses ICS and most of these are being handled at the Provincial level with provincial command teams. There is also CAN-TF teams that can be called to assist. They are also using the Canadian Military. Wild land firefighters from all over the world are in Canada helping too.

Large wildfires in the States usually have an IMT of some sorts assigned to it. FDNY has an IMT which could easily be deployed- however ICS may be either non existent on Canada or completely different
Canada does use an ICS system. Not sure how different without diving into some research, but considering that the US already has one IMT deployed in support of those operations along with a variety of individuals assisting in solo capacities, I think it's safe to say they're reasonably similar and over the years of international cooperation, have been able to learn any differences well enough to be a non-issue.

Are FDNY BFU's cross staffed like the old Combination Companies or fully staffed 24/7 or just during Brush Fire season?

just during the brush fire season on high risk days like weekends... if not staffed home engine will transport it

LA county seems tailor made for this kinda work...if they weren't...ya know... already prepping for CA. to burn down...

RCL

FDNY has had major Brush fires in all five Boroughs, few realize that Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Queens all have large park areas, including Gateway National Park. Some park areas in both the Northern Bronx and Upper Manhattan have had serious Brush/Interface potential. I myself have been at Multiple Alarm Brush Fires both in Northeast Bronx, Staten Island and in Southern Queens. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

You wouldn't have been Howard Beach by any chance in the early 90s? I've been to more then a few multiple alarm brush fires there when I volunteered with West Hamilton. You could almost set your watch in June just before and after school let out with the 75 and above brush fires there. 1 fire in particular, I was on top of our rig, in a line of about 6 other engines and towers firing water from the deck gun over 83rd street and the wind blew 90% of that smooth bore stream back at us. The fire lapped 83rd street for almost a block.

The IMT is up in Quebec. Well they were on June 28th according to the group's Facebook page.
Looks to me like “single resource” guys went up there. Not an entire team. Guys who have real world experience in ordering and management of supplies for the base camps. Guys like that names are in the system and are in demand. They get selected by one of the operations centers.