FDNY Divison Chiefs

Do the Division chiefs in FDNY have an aid assigned with them, as do the battalions. Who is above the Division chiefs in the chain of command when it comes to a fire?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The Division Chiefs do have Aides, however they are not full duty FF's.  I am sure some maybe at times.

Above the Division would be the Boro Commands.
However at a Fire I think it's just a Staff Chief depending on time and who is on duty.

What do you mean by not full duty? Do you mean the aides are like a light duty spot? I thought Battalion and Divison aides did the same tasks and are assigned to the battalion as a chiefs aide.

F

fdnysiny

The aide is a full duty firefighter, usually someone who has alot of time on and wants to finish his career in an easier spot. They are firefighters abosolutely no doubt about it.

OK to clear up some confusion from earlier posts:
Battalion Aide is now Battalion Firefighter and a full duty position. They can enter fire building and carry full gear.
Division Aides are light duty firefighters, handle radio communication to dispatchers, assist with command board but do not enter fire building.

Does FDNY EMS have battalion chiefs? Also do they have the same safety officer.

Regarding becoming a Battalion Aide, it can happen one of several ways:

A newly assigned B.C. may retain the aide that had been in the position when his boss either retired or got promoted.

A newly assigned B.C. might choose someone from the company where he served as Captain and ask them to be his aide.

A newly assigned B.C. might ask who in the company where the Battalion is housed has filled in from time to time and offer them the aide position full time.  Very often firefighters stationed in the same house as the Battalion will fill in for an aide on either a long-term or short-term basis.

F

fdnysiny

My father is a Divison Aide and is a full time firefighter not on light duty, just finishing his 30 years of service.

To clarify Division Aides for the most part are light duty, some veteran firefighters are full duty serving as aides in a division, at one time it was only full duty firefighters.

Do the Rescue and Haz Mat battalion chiefs also have aides and would they be specially trained like the battalion to that position. Can a Lt or Capt be a aide.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue and Hazmat both have aides.  They are also trained to that level. 
Rescue Battalion FF is a Rescue Trained FF
Hazmat Battalion FF is a Hazmat Tech

"Does FDNY EMS have battalion chiefs? Also do they have the same safety officer."
Most EMS units do not have Aides.  Safety Officer can be anyone, they don't designate units at Dispatch its done on scene.

EMS Runs the following command staff on a tour.

EMS Lt in a SUV with no Aide. Called a Conditions Car.  Such as Conditions 8. The number is the Battalion the unit operates in.

EMS Division Captain with no Aide. Called Division X Captain on the Air.

No Battalion Chief.  EMS Captains run the Battalions.

EMS Deputy Chief. Go by Car numbers. Car 5XX  5 is for EMS 2nd Digit for Division and 3rd for unit. So 511 is EMS Division 1 Deputy Chief
Eagle

EMS Division Chief.  Car 51, 52, 53, 54, 55
1 Star

H

HAZ-MAT 1

OK another question, Do aids get a boost in pay for that position?

Regular Battalion Aides do not receive any additional money, I think the Rescue and HazMat Aides do receive 12% Special Operations pay.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Aide gets the money, Hazmat does not. 
Somehow in the contract they left the Hazmat Battalion out, not sure if it was fixed yet.

FDNY SI NY said:
My father is a Divison Aide and is a full time firefighter not on light duty, just finishing his 30 years of service.

A Division cam have either a full duty FF and a Battalion is a full duty slot only.

mac8146 said:
OK to clear up some confusion from earlier posts:

Battalion Aide is now Battalion Firefighter and a full duty position. They can enter fire building and carry full gear.

Division Aides are light duty firefighters, handle radio communication to dispatchers, assist with command board but do not enter fire building.

I can understand the part of DIV-aide. He's seems to be there to assist the chief. But I do not understand the BAT-aide explanaition.
What has the BAT-aide to do ?n a fire building while his chief's busy commanding the units. Shouldn't he be with his chief to keep his hands free for commanding as much as possible ?

HCO

Earlier practice provided for the battalion chief/incident commander to manage operations inside some types of buildings.  Current FDNY doctrine calls for the initial battalion chief/incident commander at private dwellings, brownstone buildings, row frame buildings, and taxpayers (mall-type stores) to operate in front of the building.  The battalion firefighter stays with the chief, and will monitor the second radio channel if a command channel is activated.    A second battalion chief (and battalion firefighter) is assigned on the first level of escalation of firefighting resources.  That chief and battalion firefighter may be assigned to operate in the building.  Current practice requires all chiefs and their aides/battalion firefighters to stay together.

HCO said:
A second battalion chief (and battalion firefighter) is assigned on the first level of escalation of firefighting resources. 
That chief and battalion firefighter may be assigned to operate in the building. 

Does this mean that the second chief takes over the direct lead of fighting the fire inside so the first can keep an overview? ( don't know if overview is the right word for knowing what's happening anywhere concerning the incident )
Or is the chief inside for special tasks?