FDNY E-52 / L-52

Was just curious to learn more about "B-52" in the Riverdale section of Da Bronx. Following fires in this borough, I NEVER see either Engine or Ladder 52 running on any boxes (or even relocations). I have driven through Riverdale a couple times and see it's rather upscale with plenty of posh mansions and real estate. You don't hear too much about the extreme NW part of this borough, so I had a few questions:

-What is fire duty traditionally like in Riverdale?
-How many first-due Workers does this house typically catch in a given year?
-Do they mostly do EMS runs and wrecks on the Henry Hudson?
-...And any other cool facts about them?

Thanks!

10-3thebox said:
Was just curious to learn more about "B-52" in the Riverdale section of Da Bronx. Following fires in this borough, I NEVER see either Engine or Ladder 52 running on any boxes (or even relocations). I have driven through Riverdale a couple times and see it's rather upscale with plenty of posh mansions and real estate. You don't hear too much about the extreme NW part of this borough, so I had a few questions:

-What is fire duty traditionally like in Riverdale?
-How many first-due Workers does this house typically catch in a given year?
-Do they mostly do EMS runs and wrecks on the Henry Hudson?
-...And any other cool facts about them?

Thanks!
There is No B-52  in The Bronx , They are apart of Battalion 27 , There are not a lot of Fires in Riverdale there was one recently but 81 & 46 Made it in First Due , It's not a very busy house , If they do go out on a Job on a second or third I've seen Engine 84 & Ladder 30 relocate to them but No I've never seen 52/52 on a relocation to another Firehouse , The total amount of runs for the Engine for 2010 were 2,430 & For the Truck 1,476. I'm sure the Engine gets a fair amount of EMS like every other Engine Company in the city , There are not a lot of wrecks on The Henry Hudson that I know of. An interesting fact about them is that they are 1 of only 2 companies in the city that are housed together with the same numbers.

Sorry...I wrote "B-52" as a reference to their company patch in my collection which has the "B-52" as their logo.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
They have responded to Yonkers in the past, also have had jobs that were right on the border as well.

tbendick said:
They have responded to Yonkers in the past, also have had jobs that were right on the border as well.
I've seen them responding on Broadway in Yonkers lights and sirens didn't know where they were going , Here's a video of Ladder 59 leaving the Quarters of 52/52. There is a Yonkers Rig outside don't know why though. FDNY Ladder 59 going out on a run They have been to A couple of Jobs on the Yonkers/City Line Border.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The 52 Twins were the first companies in FDNY to have the same number Engine & Ladder Co's station in the same quarters. In order to create the second house, the 10's, fire companies were moved around. Engine 6 was near Ladder 10 who was in their own quarters on the west side of lower Manhattan. Eng 6 was relocated to Engine 32 quarters & then Engine 32 was deactivated. Engine 10 was in quarters with Ladder 15 & when the new house was opened, they were moved over to the Trade Center area.

Engine 52 can trace its history back to 1889. For several years they were a combined company until Ladder 52 was established in 1928 as a seperate company. Engine 81 was created in 1905 & Ladder 46 in 1913. 

One has to remeber that over the years Engine 48 was second due to the Riverdale area.

Engine 52 at one time had a second section (seperate company) for a little more then a year between 1955 & 1956. After that they were given a hose wagon which in most cases was an older pumper was used to carry additional hose for long stretches caused of a lack of fire hydrants. As years passed, additional fire hydrants have been added through out the area. Fieldstone, a former private community, to the east of the fire house, had their own hydrants through out their community.

The 52 twins over the years have been kept in their area. Its too costly to sent them to multiple alarm fires south or east of the area because the area needs to be covered. Remember on all of there boxes, Engine 81 & TL 46 are their running mates. The "Bailey Ave Station" workload has greatly increased over the years both in first due areas & also 2nd & third due response areas both Manhattan & The Bronx.

In recent years the 'safety net' that protected the Riverdale area has been taken away from the 52's twins & they are responding outside their area on multiple alarm fires. Due to the lay out of local streets, if a fire unit is not knowlegde about they area, They can easily get lost. This will increase their arrival times. Years back upon retirement, one of the 52 firefighters walked the local streets & painted a map of Riverdale in quarters to help all who came after him. Today with GPS, I can only hope that first responders can find their way around that community without too much of a delay.

In past years, a lot of the land had been sold. Large private estates have been down sized with land being sold off to new developers. Mini-masions have been constructed between two existing high end residences. High rise buildings are today common from Broadway to the Hudson River. The area still houses two major colleges, but many other schools, alot of private educational facilities are now housed on the hills of Riverdale. Nursing homes run from Spuyten Duyvil to the Yonkers border line. There is even a private hospital hidden in the northern area of the community. Some of the older medical facilities have closed. Metro North trains still travel along the former NY Central Railroad tracks following the Hudson with several stops in the Riverdale - Kingsbridge areas. The train station at the College of Mount Saint Vincent has been elimated.  Years back the Putnam line was shut down. Tracks can still be found along side the Major Deegan Expwy & in Van Cortlandt Park, besides being home to two different golf courses.  Wave Hill is another historial site that calls Riverdale its home. In more recent times, Riverdale has changed - international political figures have moved into the quite community. Today Riverdale houses the Russian highrise residential compound. It made history being the first structure to be built up-side down in NYC.

Workload has been creeping up over the years. Riverdale has always been noted as a brush fire area, but construction has been reducing that threat over the years. The commercials areas - Kingsbridge community near B'way & West 231 St, Johnson Ave, North Broadway, or even North Riverdale Ave have always been noted to have one of more multiple alarms every few years. You will get an All Hands fire in a residential structure every few months & an occassional higher alarm yearly.

Water supply is still a problem & in recent years Sat # 2 with Eng 72 respond into this area on the All Hands. 

Remember thatin NYC the second highest fatal marine incident took place in the Hudson River off of Riverdale.
Beware of the sleeping communities.

Thanks for the info guys. It seems like the 52's are nestled in their own little pocket of the city.

This brings up another thread idea: companies located on the "outskirts" of the city. I know when we think of NYC, most people think of a metropolis with high rises everywhere. But - as we know, there are actually some parts of the city that resemble more rural areas than anything.
What other stations are located on the outskirts/near the city limits?

10-3thebox said:
Thanks for the info guys. It seems like the 52's are nestled in their own little pocket of the city.

This brings up another thread idea: companies located on the "outskirts" of the city. I know when we think of NYC, most people think of a metropolis with high rises everywhere. But - as we know, there are actually some parts of the city that resemble more rural areas than anything.
What other stations are located on the outskirts/near the city limits?
70/53 on City Island that never leave City Island for anything.

Grumpy does not live in NY. Guys there are houses that do not do a lot of runs If the neighborhood is kept up there will not be a lot of runs, probably only EMS runs.  Do you penalize those folks for taking care of property. Boston houses that are quiet fire runs but EMS E-49, and E-51. Back in the day these were pj houses. Guys we are not all going to be BFD 33-15/37/26/, FDNY 58/26. Chicago has seemed to have calmed down.

Question, Chief:  were you referring to the Henry Clay steamboat disaster?

And I assume the General Slocum (in the East River) was the worst.  Correct?

Another question, for Willy D:  I've been told you buffed the Henry Clay disaster.  True?    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Atlas...your reply # 6 above is very interesting info & history on an area that few know much about myself included...Thanks.

The 52's have at least one box that they have to go into Yonkers to access, also on border boxes they work with the Yonkers FD. Any time either on is out more than 30 minutes for whatever reason a relocation is made due to the remote area they cover. The only relocation i know of happened on 9/11 can't remember which one got relocated or if both did. Under normal conditions they never relocate, the Engine does respond into upper manhattan 3rd due or on multiple alarm fires, the never take them off the hill thinking has changed and they both respond to other areas if needed for work. Part of Riverdale is actually covered by E81/L46 with them 1st due especially in the southern section near Kappock and Knolls Cresent. It is a very difficult area to respond into due to many streets having dead ends and then continuing further north, if you dont know where you are going it can be a challenge to find box location, even gps has issues with parts of this area.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Some additional info on the Bronx twins - since the fire station only housed an engine & ladder companies - in the days of the horses they were provided a chief's buggy. This horse drawn rig was used to transport members to & from the local train station. I am sorry to say, I do not know if they were talking about the Broadway # 1 IRT line or the New York Central Putnam Division. Some might not know that the Putnam Division ran only south to the area near the new Yankee Stadium. There riders were able to connect to the a city train line. From what I hav e read & seen in historial movies, some of the former Manhattan el's all haeaded up tp the former Polo Grounds - which was the home of the NY Gaints. Two of the train lines crossed a bridge - that no longer exist - over the Harlem River with the first stop at Sedgwick Ave.(The connection line with the NYC Central RR). Another stop was Anderson Ave & then it connected to the IRT # 4 line at East 167 St. One of the lines ended at Burnside Ave & the other at either Fordham Rd or Kingsbridge Rd stations. Some of us might remember the IRT shuttle that used the same tracks for years running only from 155 St in Manhattan to 167 St in the Bronx.
What alot of people are unaware of was that in Van Cortlandt Park after the train station in the park which was near the boat house, the Putnam line split into two seperate lines. A two track line ran into Yonker's Getty Square & the main line followed the Saw Mill River Parkway up into Westchester County heading to the Brewster area where it joined the Harlem Division of the Central RR.

The twins were also the first fire company to be provided with a lawn mower.

Years ago back in the 70's & early 80's FDNY pre-computer & pre-CIDS had a microfilm file system that contained information about hazaradus buildings. There were a few sheets on the main building of Mount St. Vincent College. The structure was over 100 years old - interior was made of wood highly varnish. The building at lease 5 stories high, some thing like  500 by 150 feet. Limited water supply. At the end of a page was written - 'No life Hazard'. Top of the next page was written - 'Only 100 or more elderly nuns residing on the upper floor'.

After that all I am going to say is AMEN!

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
To reply to the comment:
70/53 on City Island that never leave City Island for anything.

The City Island companies did respond to a few boxes off of City Island -
4517 - Orchard Beach; 4515 Traffic Circle; 4519 City Is Bridge West side & the 8000 box for the NYPD Range. These boxes were dropped when they deactivated Lad 53. They have never been updated after Lad 53 was reactivated.

RE: the 52's: up into the 70's, E81 & L46 were relocators and were not covered.  E81 relocated to: E63, E68, E75, E79, E84, E93 & E95. L46 covered L33, L36, L37, L39, L45. Meanwhile, E52 was covered by E67 and L52 by L32 most of the time. 

FDNYBuff97 said:
tbendick said:
I've seen them responding on Broadway in Yonkers lights and sirens didn't know where they were going , Here's a video of Ladder 59 leaving the Quarters of 52/52. There is a Yonkers Rig outside don't know why though. FDNY Ladder 59 going out on a run They have been to A couple of Jobs on the Yonkers/City Line Border.

Yonkers rig was probably @ 52 for Mutual Aid familiarization, happens at least once a year since 9/11 report.

R1SmokeEater said:
FDNYBuff97 said:
tbendick said:

Yonkers rig was probably @ 52 for Mutual Aid familiarization, happens at least once a year since 9/11 report.
At that time when the video was shot only 73 Truck & 72 Truck had smeals , Who was it ? I'm going with 73 Truck being assigned on a lot of Highway boxes that I know of , But than again it may be 72 Truck because they are sort of close to Riverdale in a way.

FDNYBuff97 said:
R1SmokeEater said:
FDNYBuff97 said:
tbendick said:

At that time when the video was shot only 73 Truck & 72 Truck had smeals , Who was it ? I'm going with 73 Truck being assigned on a lot of Highway boxes that I know of , But than again it may be 72 Truck because they are sort of close to Riverdale in a way.

it was most likely Ladder-78, a spare Truck, one of the 2002 HME/Smeals.