FDNY E-52 / L-52

R1SmokeEater said:
FDNYBuff97 said:
R1SmokeEater said:
FDNYBuff97 said:
tbendick said:
They have responded to Yonkers in the past, also have had jobs that were right on the border as well.
I've seen them responding on Broadway in Yonkers lights and sirens didn't know where they were going , Here's a video of Ladder 59 leaving the Quarters of 52/52. There is a Yonkers Rig outside don't know why though. FDNY Ladder 59 going out on a run They have been to A couple of Jobs on the Yonkers/City Line Border.

Yonkers rig was probably @ 52 for Mutual Aid familiarization, happens at least once a year since 9/11 report.
At that time when the video was shot only 73 Truck & 72 Truck had smeals , Who was it ? I'm going with 73 Truck being assigned on a lot of Highway boxes that I know of , But than again it may be 72 Truck because they are sort of close to Riverdale in a way.

it was most likely Ladder-78, a spare Truck, one of the 2002 HME/Smeals.
Thanks

It is ironic that a familiarization drill happens at the 52's but they do not go into Yonkers on the mutual aid response, that comes from E81 quarters using box 3000, there is another box used i think for the east bronx at E63 quarters.

mac8146 said:
It is ironic that a familiarization drill happens at the 52's but they do not go into Yonkers on the mutual aid response, that comes from E81 quarters using box 3000, there is another box used i think for the east bronx at E63 quarters.
I believe it's at 38/51 Mac , Or maybe 63 but I remember reading something about 38's Quarters being used for Mutual Aid

Ok i wasnt to sure of who had the box for the northeast I think they used it a few years ago to go into pelham or pelham manor for a top floor job. Sounds logical that they would leave 63/39 back due to the remoteness of there area.

Upon further review and using box locator on the site found box 4400 Boston Rd and Eastchester Rd mutual aid to westchester county, this is obviously E38/L51 being used as meeting spot.

Looking through Fire Department records, he?s already learned that the Riverdale firehouse, which predates the entire borough of the Bronx by about 25 years, was built after a terrible railroad accident in Spuyten Duyvil in 1882.

On a winter?s evening at approximately 7 p.m., two trains collided and one was set ablaze. The fire engulfed two of the train?s cars, according to documents describing the early history of firefighting in the Bronx. People tried to put it out with buckets of water from Spuyten Duyvil Creek and some even threw snowballs into it.

In the end, eight people died and an influential and wealthy Riverdalian, William E. Dodge, went to the city?s mayor to demand a firehouse and a warning bell for the area.

At least one other major fire occurred before the three-story wooden firehouse first opened for service. That blaze destroyed a brick mansion on what is now West 249th Street and Riverdale Avenue.

The bell used in the tower is a historical oddity. It was forged in Spain in 1762 and intended for a monastery in Mexico, but was taken by an American general in the Mexican War between 1846 and 1848. It?s unclear precisely how it ended up in Riverdale, but was kept in the original firehouse and was moved to where it now lives: in the Monument on West 238th Street and Riverdale Avenue.

In 1939, after the Henry Hudson Parkway was built through Riverdale, the original firehouse was replaced by the brick building that now houses Engine and Ladder companies 52. That?s when the bell was moved.

Having grown up in Riverdale, I have many fond memories of Eng./Lad 52. As per fires, yes not many have occurred as in other parts of the city but they have had their share of Taxpayer fires. I can remember many multiple alarm Taxpayer fires in Riverdale during the late 70's early 80's that brought in 4th or 5th alarm responses. Riverdale has many strip-malls and once they get going it was truly a sight to see. That house was also staffed by seasoned veteran fighters from busier houses that as retirement closed in, they sought a quieter house. Having these seasoned vets also resulted in a quick knock down time of a fire before it could get out of hand.

If my memory serves me correctly, during the 70's you would fine a relocated company from a busier house station their for some down time.

Grunt86 you are referring to the old interchange program, E52 did interchange for a time with at least E46 not sure if any others. The interchange was for a night tour only and usually every 2nd or 3rd night depending on E46 work load. I know that E81 and L46 interchanged in the early 70's with various companies in the south bronx during the busy times. L52 did also interchange with L38 and possibly others also.

jbendick

Administrator
      when 46 Engine workload went down they lost their interchange with 52. Eng 75 started to go up there and because of their workload they also  would interchange with 299 Eng. in Queens. 75  would interchange every other night. To show you how things had change when i first went to 75 we went  to Eng. 50-2 as their work load relief. Also an interesting interchange was L33 to L46 there were were boxes which both units were assigned. Another strange interchange was 75 to 95. As was stated that many guys would transfer to the slower co. 75 lost a lot of guy to 52. And a bunch left 41 Eng for *1 Eng. their interchange Co.