FDNY/NYPD Second jobs

Hello what are some of the common second jobs for FDNY/NYPD? In the Chicago area many CPD officers work security at Comiskey Park, Wrigley Field, Solider Field, and the United Center. Many CFD firefighters and paramedics also work as EMT's and Paramedics at these same venues. Is this also common with the NYPD and FDNY? Thanks.

I must agree with memorymaster.

But I would also add, that some firefighters, maybe police officers too, throughout the country also teach "job related classes" throughout their states and I know a few who travel throughout the country giving such classes.

During my much younger days as a firefighter, I also worked as a part time 911 dispatcher in another town, as well as part time on a private ambulance company doing both emergency and non-emergency transports.

BUT - "here's a better one".

Back BEFORE the days of this so called Internet Thing, I was taking pictures of my favorite firetrucks. That goes back to the days of 35 mm film that had to be developed. One of my favorite places was the FDNY where I would visit FDNYs Training Academy at the start of MY YOUNGER BUFF DAYS in the FDNYs busiest areas.

It was the perfect place to take those rig photographs. In fact going back many years ago is when I got to meet our own "johnny gage" there. He put the rig in the Perfect Position so I could get the "one of a kind photo" of FDNYs Ladder 5. THANK YOU DAN, as well as the tillerman assigned that day.

Then I got to thinking, I'm sure I'm NOT The ONLY GUY interested in photos like this. So I took an ad out in Firehouse Magazine offering Ten - 3 x 5 photos of FDNY rigs. I think the ad cost me $42.00 at the time. I had no idea how it would turn out.

Well, once the ad came out I got an "overwhelming response". In fact I got orders from all over the world. I couldn't believe it.

With such a GREAT RESPONSE, I ended up with a total of 23 separate photo sets from all over the country.
Places like Philly, Pittsburh, D.C., Cleveland, Columbus, etc.
My wife and I would use those profits for a vacation and a chance for me to get more rig shots.
We even made a trip out to sunny L.A. City and L.A. County Calif where she got to see all those tanned, good lookin, muscle bound Calif Guys and I got to get L .A. City and County rigs, including that famous L.A. County - Squad 51 from the TV series "Emergency". It was on display at the L.A. County Fire Museum. That was back in 1984 and of course the sale of fire apparatus photos paid for our trips to Disney Land, Venice Beach, etc.
Plus I gotta tell ya, "those Calif Girls weren't looking too bad either
No wonder the Beach Boys wrote that song about them called: "California Girls". Anybody remember that one ?

Oh, by the way, "johnny gage never did get any royalties from the profits of that great rig shot". Keep it a secret please, but I'll buy him some pizza next time I see him.

Now, I know most of you are tired of reading my financial history and side line business. BUT - there's More To Come. So stay tuned to part 2 of my story as I tell you about my firefighter buddies who also worked as carpenters, painters, plumbers, electricians and a local buff buddy who played a big part in helping me to put some of the profits from the sale of those Fire Apparatus Photos to work for me.

Uncle Wilfred

Yes Dan, 8060rock, Thank You.

That’s the song by The Beach Boys about those California Pretty Ladies

Pretty Ladies and Big Fire Trucks - what more could a guy ask for ! ! !

The late Vernon Cherry was a great singer off the job. I've mentioned in another thread the band Starfire he was a part of performed at my wedding.

The late Vernon Cherry was a great singer off the job. I've mentioned in another thread the band Starfire he was a part of performed at my wedding.
In addition to being a good singer Vernon was a Court Stenographer in BKLYN ....a good LCC in 118 ..... he had started in 249 ......back before SOC & it's forerunner Rescue Services R*2 while still on Carlton Ave was in BN*31 & we would get Details & or OT within the BN...Vernon was in my groups so we got to work some tours together when going to Middaugh St...an all around friendly guy.

Last edited:
^^^^A video of Vernon singing our National Anthem (that was pre recorded at a Medal Day) was played in the opening of the first 9-11 Memorial at Madison Square Garden .....actually Honoring Vernon as well as all the others killed on 9-11-01......

THANK YOU for those videos of the late FDNY Firefighter/Singer, Vernon Cherry.

Whether it was fighting a fire or putting smiles on kids faces, an individual who dedicated his life in helping others.

Thank you Vernon for what you've done and May You Rest in Peace.

I recall many guys who "banged nails" on the side, many painters, one friend was a lawyer, another drove a limo. While at L 5, our friendly neighborhood bar Chumleys hired many bartenders. But I think I had the best second job; I drove an oil truck. I had the freedom to pick my route, stop for coffee when I wanted, no boss shadowing me, spend the day outside, accomodated my schedule. I worked through the summer bringing diesel fuel to various highway maintenance shops. Pay was pretty good too! Best kept secret.

Thanks for the low down Willy, and your financial savvy wisdom. Now going back to your #3 post above with regard to my "royalties"; you are aware there is no time limit restrictions! We'll just have to settle out of court and meet in a White Castle! Love ya, enjoy this beautiful fall weather.

In production now is a movie "The King of Norwich" a Rose City success story about a Fire captain who becomes a land Baron. Who plays the King?

I am sure the "King" will wear a worn out, stained red shirt.

Something tells me I think that King is wearing that worn out stained shirt right now.

Last I knew he was carrying a homeless sign begging for some cash near that big money Mystic, Ct area
Known for those 10 or 12 million dollar homes

I think he’s even got a portable scanner with him

So those in the area, keep an eye open for thé guy
And don’t forget to donate

mack

Administrator
FDNY had strict outside job regulations back in my father's day. There were specific rules about types of jobs, when you could work, where you could work. Officers had specific regulations. These rules were during a period of time when salaries were low and second jobs were absolutely necessary.

I personally benefited because I learned as a kid how to drywall, cut lumber, paint, frame homes, mix concrete, landscape, shingle, roof, plumb kitchens and bathrooms, run electrical lines, install lights, deliver propane gas, service construction site warning lights, stock drug store shelves, make cabinets, repair cars, make and install fences, clean tools - all from second jobs my father had to get from paycheck to paycheck.

Attachments

• OUTSIDE JOBS 1956.jpg
    OUTSIDE JOBS 1956.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 14
FYI in the Chicago area https://theblueline.com/findAJob/view/13417 I personally don't have a problem with sports stadiums or concert requiring you to be current or retired LE to work security. IMO it keeps things safer by having people with actual training do crowd control, that said if you are going to make being current or retired LE a job requirement you should pay $30 or $31 and hour. Thought? Thanks.

$50 an hour or more. Whether you're current or retired you are still in jeopardy of injury or lawsuits from the misguided miscreants that are mingled in the crowds at these events. You'd be much safer in the "trades" if you have that opportunity.

Studying for promotion is the best side job. Wish I realized that earlier in my career but that’s fine. I believe more and more guys are realizing this too as the last 10 years have provided the stiffest competition ever for Lieutenant and Captain exams.

Studying for promotion is the best side job. Wish I realized that earlier in my career but that’s fine. I believe more and more guys are realizing this too as the last 10 years have provided the stiffest competition ever for Lieutenant and Captain exams.

"twoteamtease", I think that is a very good point.

I remember my father, who was a captain in Bridgeport, Ct., telling me to take the promotion exam.
But I didn't care. I just wanted to be on the job and I was happy with that.

But he told me that not only would I get more money, but in the long run, it would give me a better pension, which would benefit me later in life when I retire.

Well I'm here to say that "he was right".
I didn't get promoted the first time I took the test.
So I had to work harder the next time and I did succeed

But, for me, "for the first year or so, I didn't like the job".
I enjoyed just being a firefighter and becoming the boss also created some headaches that I really wasn't ready for.
I told my father, I was going back to the firefighter rank.
He told me to stick it out for a year before I step back.
Once again, I followed his advise and guess what ?
"IT WORKED".

Of course later in time when I did retire, "it put more cash in my pocket".

With inflation cost, I'm glad I did what he suggested

These days, I can still buy my favorite pizza, or those Big Macs that I like so much, and STILL have some money left over to pay the bills.

"twoteamtease, I think that's some good advise for the young guys on the job today.

I would also add that everybody can't be an officer.

When I retired at age 56, I went to work part time as a security guard.
I liked the job, I worked a couple of evenings a week, it was easy, plus that also gave me some extra money.
I would save at least half of it into a retirement IRA and some into a regular savings account

Now being blessed with some good health, some great friends - many from here, "there really isn't much more I can ask for"

Let me end it here with a THANK YOU for listening to my Life's Story.

Be safe out there.

Last edited: