FEBUARY 26, 1993.

Was working 9x6 in the 12th Division that day. We were special called around 1300 to the Trade Center. While responding I was told by the dispatcher to respond to Tower 2. On arrival I was amazed that after 2 hours or so how many people were in distress in the lobby and still outside the tower, had to be around a 1000. DC Mills and I were assigned the tower. Chief Mills had operations in the tower I took Lobby Command. If I remember right the tower had 99 elevators, 33 in each of 3 banks, 1st bank 1st to the 35th floor, 2nd bank 1st to the 36th floor to the 70th floor and the 3rd bank 1st to the 71st floor to the 110th  floor (could be off but near accurate). None of the elevators were in the lobby, all were stalled most in a blind shaft. Chief Mills found a floor under renovation around the 60th floor. There were no partitions so the floor had good lighting (no electric in the building, was in complete dark all floors, stairways etc. We made that floor into triage, had EMS set up there to treat those in need. There was a light smoke condition in the building. The main problem was to free those trapped in the elevators, breach walls etc. Tower 2 had a number of children trapped in the elevator  for 5 or 6 hours. Various problems, woman in labor, possible heart attacks etc. Received a call around 1600 of a woman with a broken leg around the 70th floor. With that L111 reported in to me for assignment. I told the officer to go up to the 70th floor and bring the woman down. He said "you got it chief," and started up with his guys. Around a hour of so later they came down with the woman on a stretcher, tough climb up and down. Left the scene around 2200 hours, all the elevators were empty, kids were home, leg was set and we had a new baby.