GLORY DAYS

Here is one of the New Hahns we received pumping away...looks like four lines discharging and two on the intakes:

DCFD: Part 8
Rescue Squad 4 and EPILOGUE

Engine 21 is assigned to the Fifth Battalion along with E 28 and T 14 that are stationed on Connecticut Avenue, Engine 20 and T 12 located on Wisconsin Avenue and Engine 31 a combination company that serves also as Rescue Squad 4, all three companies are located on the western side of Rock Creek Park and further north in the upper NW section of DC, a relatively wealthy quiet bedroom type region and with that the fire duty is sluggish as you could expect. Lucky for me, E 21 is the busy company within the Battalion and most sought after to work in as it is closer to the action and fire duty east of Rock Creek Park.

My probation is behind me and I am now well into my second year on the job and finding myself being detailed within the Battalion to E 31 and RS 4 quite often, in fact I am even filling in vacation spots for some of the regular members assigned to the company.

E 31 and RS 4 is a combination company as is all of the other Rescue Squads, or ?Squads? as they are referred to in DC. There are a total of four RS companies that serve the District. Rescue 1 is the ?Flagship? Squad, and responds to fires and emergencies mostly in the business and commercial sections downton. Rescue Squad 2 and  Rescue Squad 3 cover large areas of tough neighborhoods in NW and SE Washington, you could say they are the real workhorses of the department. And Rescue Squad 4 covers the upper NW section.

E 31 and RS 4

A combination company is both an Engine Company and a Rescue Squad, they are assigned a wagon and pumper and acts as a first due engine on all first due boxes. On any other assignment the company responds as the Rescue Squad. So it is not uncommon to see members store their gear between the apparatus on the apparatus floor awaiting alarms.

Years ago when the Rescue Squads were formed they were not an engine company but a distinct unit that had two pieces of apparatus, the second piece to the Rescue truck was an ambulance that followed the Squad. The RS members responsibility was to aid any injured firefighter,  in lieu of waiting for an ambulance, the RS transported the injured firefighter rather than waiting for a civilian ran ambulance to arrive.

RS 4?s rig is an older model Ford Bruco, the officer and driver ride in the cab while members ride in the back of the box. I was wondering why I was being detailed more often to the company more so than other firefighters in our Battalion and was told by the company officer it was because I had a working knowledge of the ?Hurst Tool?... (While training once or twice with the company and their Hurst tool), so then when a detail pops up from RS 4 I got the heave ho from 21, but I never minded, the men there were all senior guys and they were very welcoming and cordial. Unlike other practices for ?detailed? members I was not stuck with a watch or last to be relieved. They?re a good bunch of guys and I welcomed the detail whenever it popped up.

RS 4

A little background on my Hurst Tool knowledge. When I joined my neighborhood volunteer fire department in 1975 I joined the only Truck Company that covered the community. We had two pieces, a mid mount American LaFrance eighty five foot aerial and an old Ford ?floodlight? truck. As far as I can recall, the term ?Rescue? to Long Island Volunteer Fire Departments referred to the Ambulance service within the department. So, as fire departments and communities began to expand, more special services were required and special operations were prescribed. Our volunteer fire department was one of the first volunteer fire departments to purchase a new exciting tool on the market, called the Hurst Tool that was designed to extricate vehicles from the victims. Since our response district covered the Long Island Expressway and various State Parkways along with secondary roads that had speed restrictions we responded to many emergencies reported as ?Hurst tool assist? calls. Those days cars were not made of plastic and passengers were not obligated to wear seatbelts... a violent wreck could have some gnarly effects on people in the crumpled car.

During my time there in the volunteer fire department, our old floodlight truck morphed into a Rescue Truck as our company began a  vigorous training program with the new Hurst Tool, effectively retiring our antiquated porta power tools. In short order, we all  became very proficient and accomplished with the new device.

My first ?pin job? came very soon after we received the tool. An early spring morning our company along with the local Engine Company was ?toned? out for a ?Hurst Tool request? by the Suffolk County Police Department for a motor vehicle vs. tree in the middle of town. In the back of the responding Rescue Truck it was ?my turn? to become the tool operator, as it was our company policy to swap positions between Hurst tool request jobs. Ahead, Police car revolving lights lit up the eerie scene; a lime-green colored early 1970?s Barracuda has crashed head on into a large tree along the avenue at hi-speed, the car front end and engine has been crushed back onto the two semi conscious passengers in the front seat, they are squished alongside the crumpled car frame and engine block, pinned. Both victims have long hair and I recall thinking they were girls but later realized they appear to be young guys my age. In fact, I knew both of them from school. The driver happened to be a very close friend of mine during our High School days. After High School we parted and went our different ways, this early spring morning I am now cutting him out of the vehicle. Sadly he died enroute to the hospital. The passenger survived.

Anyway, back to RS 4. So knowing that I was able to handle the Hurst Tool, I found myself getting detailed there on many occasions. We did respond to many traffic accidents as their response area was huge with many cross streets and avenues, we also responded to smells and bells to the new hotels that were popping up in the area as DC was seeing a noticeable increase in visitors.

However, during the spring of 1982 I received two significant phone calls, the first was from my FDNY investigator who I recently contacted when I found out the lawsuit was settled concerning hiring women candidates. He stated that I would be a probationary candidate in the next class that would be amassed in the upcoming summer. The second call came from Captain Hammond who has now been assigned to the busy Rescue Squad 2 as their new commander. He asked if I would consider transferring into his new unit. What an honor I felt as to be asked to join this prestigious company. Unfortunately I had to decline the offer and tell him that I was being considered for the next upcoming FDNY class.

RS 2

And so...In a short three months from my conversation with Captain Hammond, August 1982 I was sworn into the FDNY, there standing with my hand up taking the oath in Cadman Plaza... later that day I called Lt. Tommy Dolner at E 21 and said that he could submit my official letter of resignation of the DCFD. I was sworn into the DCFD on August 6, 1979 and resigned three years to the day on August 6, 1982.

Lt. Dolner, crew of E 21 and a young JohnnyGage center.

EPILOGUE

It was an astonishing and amazing three years for me assigned to the DCFD, in addition, I also became a new dad. 

During my three years working in DC all eyes were on the Nation?s Capital during a handful of historic National events which provided me a front seat to history; namely, a new Hollywood actor named Ronald Reagan would be elected President of the United States, the US diplomats being held hostage in Iran was over and the hostages were now on their way home, a horrific plane crash striking the 14th Street Bridge and then plunged into the icy Potomac River killing seventy-eight souls during a wintry mix snow storm, the assasination attempt of President Ronald Reagan that took place at the Washington Hilton Hotel about a mile away from E 21, President Reagan firing the Air Traffic controllers who continued to strike, Senate confirming the first female US Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O?Connor...And if that wasn?t enough exciting National news emanating... the Washington DC football team the ?Redskins? with legendary quarterback Joe Theisman leading his team to consecutive Super Bowl appearances was captivating the Nation. (NOTE: Whenever the Redskins would play a Sunday afternoon game, the streets in DC were virtually empty, you could hear the town roaring with excitement from all corners from touchdowns and sensational plays).

Coincidently I witnessed a tiny part of history when President Reagan was elected...There were approximately seven different ?Presidential Inaugural Balls? being held throughout the city on the evening of January 20, 1981.  Since the Shoreham Hotel was one of the venues, and E 21 was nearby I was detailed in dress uniform to perform a ?fire watch? for a Ball that was mostly made up of U.S. Senators to celebrate President Reagan's Inauguration. My position was standing at ?Parade Rest?  to the left of the incoming double doors, with another firefighter on the opposite side...we both had water pressure extinguishers hidden behind the open doors. Since I had the first shift I was able to see many Senators walk right by me within arms reach like Bob Dole, Howard Baker and Barry Goldwater... Then all eyes turned toward my direction, well not at me, but to my left as Senator John Warner entered with his beautiful bride and actress Elizabeth Taylor on his arm. Subsequently I was relieved after an hour or so and never had the chance to see the new President and his wife arrive much later in the evening to join the festivities.

Living in Southern Maryland while off duty I enjoyed blue claw crab fishing with another buddy from my proby school Al who lived nearby. Once in awhile,  early morning Al and I would set out for the Chesapeake Bay, Al would steer his aluminum boat while I would easily fill four bushels of blue claw crabs with a net as the crabs hung onto our bait of chopped up chicken necks. Since Al worked in a double house he took two overflowing bushels into his firehouse and I would bring my bushel in for the guys in E 21 (before T 14) night tour...the fourth bushel, well that was our lunch for me and Al.

It was difficult leaving my buddies from the Long Island Volunteer Fire Department we all joined; But, Big Mac, Mike and Philly would go on to enjoy very successful careers with the DCFD. Big Mac retired as a well respected and beloved Battalion Chief, Mike as a Lieutenant and Philly was awarded ?Firefighter of the Year? for ?FIREHOUSE? Magazine for a daring rescue of a child in a house fire when he was assigned to Rescue 3 and is now enjoying his time retired in North Carolina with a beautiful home and family. To this day, we still all stay in touch.

I am grateful that I still stay in touch with Captain John Hammond through e-mails and enjoyed catching up with him a few years ago during lunch while reminiscing about our time together. He now lives in Tennessee enjoying his BlueGrass music and probably still making those outrageous pancakes.

Working in DC was thrilling...It was impressive being surrounded and noticing the unique buildings of our government, ...just seeing the Capital building was always stirring, especially when lit at night. Driving by the White House was intriguing... I wondered what the President was doing just then when I cruised by...and seeing the Washington Monument was majestic, don?t forget The FBI Headquarters where Efrem Zimbalist Jr worked out of...On occasion during the summer months between night tours I would take a book I was reading and sit along the Mall on a bench between the Monument and Capital, sometimes not even reading but just thinking about the history I was surrounded by.

It was immensely rewarding working as a firefighter in our Nation's Capital and I will continue to have a fond recollection of a scaling ladder rescue assist in an alley off 17th Street. Moreover, I had the pleasure of working with a very dedicated and professional Brotherhood of firefighters from a very well competent, skillful and experienced fire department that shared their skills and experiences with this young ?New Yawker?. I often have to thank the women's organization that held up FDNY hiring, had the women's organization not held up my FDNY hiring, I would never have had the opportunity to work in this dynamic town, our Nation's Capital. Forty years later, I still have a personal connection with DC and splendid memories of my time there.

Next; Return to NYC and FDNY

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed my DCFD recollection!      KMG-365

Dan, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for telling us your DCFD stories. I remember some of the incidents that you talked about. Particularly the plane that crashed striking the 14th St Bridge.

All of the pictures you posted are amazing. As well as telling us the history of your time with the DCFD. And earlier of course your "GORY DAYS", with the very busy NYC-EMS. Now known as the FDNY/EMS.

Thank You Johnny, aka Mr Gage. 

I guess (??????) your next series begins with your FDNY Probie Days. I'm sure that I am not the only one looking forward to that. When that time comes and you tell us about your days with Ladder Co 5, don't forget, "you know who", while you were at the Rock. And how you got to meet up with that FDNY buff again many years later.

This thread is amazing, thanks so much for all the memories of your career it sure is a real pleasure to read along!!

nfd2004 said:
Dan, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for telling us your DCFD stories. I remember some of the incidents that you talked about. Particularly the plane that crashed striking the 14th St Bridge.

All of the pictures you posted are amazing. As well as telling us the history of your time with the DCFD. And earlier of course your "GORY DAYS", with the very busy NYC-EMS. Now known as the FDNY/EMS.

Thank You Johnny, aka Mr Gage. 

I guess (??????) your next series begins with your FDNY Probie Days. I'm sure that I am not the only one looking forward to that. When that time comes and you tell us about your days with Ladder Co 5, don't forget, "you know who", while you were at the Rock. And how you got to meet up with that FDNY buff again many years later.

Dear Willy, CanadianBrother and those who have PMd me, thank you for your kind thoughts and words, it has been fun shaking out the ol' cobwebs in my coconut reminiscing about those Glory Days...and, you bet Willy, we will get to L5 soon and of course the magical Photo op!

THE ?MAGICAL? DAY

It?s a Magical Day...August 6, 1982 has finally arrived and it is a cool early Friday morning. I did not sleep well and so I am up extra early enjoying an English muffin and a cup of coffee, I glance over to my faithful recliner chair where I laid out a freshly ironed white dress shirt, black slacks, gray sport jacket, conservative tie, and shined black shoes on the floor. The sun is beginning to break, it?s days like this I?m reminded of a comic strip called ?Ziggy?, in this one panel cartoon Ziggy is clapping his hands and cheering; ?GO GOD!?...it is that type of day...I slide into my car for the hour drive towards Brooklyn Boro Hall on Joralemon Street to meet Lieutenant Francesse from the FDNY Candidate Investigation Unit for further details.

So, finally, today?s the day,  back to my birthplace; Brooklyn, to be sworn in as a Probationary Firefighter for the FDNY. It has been almost five years since I took the entrance exam for the position of FDNY Firefighter and it seems so long ago I thought this day may never come. Recently the hiring process has started again after a hiatus that occurred because an injunction was brought on by a women's group concerning the unfair testing practice given by NYC, and all hiring was suspended, but now the case has been resolved and the hiring commences...time to get down to business.

Leaving my apartment early the traffic is very light while heading towards Brooklyn on the Long Island Expressway, during my travel I have a chance to reminisce and reflect on all the other exams I took over the past few years to get on board with a career fire department. Taking the perceptive advice from my Dad when I told him I was interested in becoming a New York City fireman during my early teens, he advised me to ?not? put all my eggs into one basket. I heeded his wisdom and as soon as I graduated High School began a writing campaign to local fire departments that had career firefighter positions inquiring about future entrance exams, I kept a meticulous log with responses from the recipient city. By the time I was twenty I was on a few lists, namely; The Anne Arundel County Fire Department, I was standing by for a year, my list number was five, but that list only hired four then expired. In  New Haven I was fingerprinted and all set to go into the next class except the City Mayor only wanted women to be hired and nobody from ?out of town? as explained to me by a wonderful and friendly New Haven Fire Chief (Who went on to write reference letters to other departments I had applied to)... In Cleveland, Annapolis and Philadelphia I was still on their list to be hired, and, of course I was fortunate to be hired by the DCFD. Great advice Dad, thanks.

When the FDNY entrance exam was announced by the local civil service newspaper ?The Chief? (the paper Uncle Jack suggested I subscribe to) my buddies, Big Mac, Mike and Philly from our local volly house took the Long Island Railroad into Penn Station, from there we then hopped into a cab for a ride to 49 Thomas Street, the home of NYC Civil Service Office. This was the location that the paper stated in the announcement you could pick up your application, or you could have an application mailed to you. However, it was rumoured that in the event of a tie, the tie would be broken and favor would go to the person with a lower application number.

CHIEF CIVIL SERVICE WEEKLY NEWSPAPER

Nobody had any idea that there would be close to fifty thousand applicants, but non the less, we wanted whatever the best edge was for us. So we four amigos arrived at Thomas Street arriving just before midnight, prepared to sleep on the sidewalk and be the first to file when the doors opened in the morning. Upon our arrival we realized we were not the only ones to have the idea of submitting an early application as there was a small group of guys who had already arrived ahead of us, with more who began to show up as the night progressed into the wee hours. Everyone hunkered down against the wall of the building reserving your spot. By midnight there were about sixty or so guys lining up along Thomas Street waiting for the office to open in the morning for the golden ticket, an application. I remember it was a comfortable night, but long, many of the guys were from different volunteer fire departments, so conversation was lively until everyone started to crash from exhaustion and begin nodding off along the wall. In the morning we heard the doors being unlocked, we all rose from our contorted positions along the sidewalk while a surprised and gleeful employee began to hand out the application, I remember I was number thirteen... Later on we found out, the tie breaker would not be your application number, but some other method none of us were privy of.

YOUNG JOHNNY GAGE ON 49 THOMAS STREET, 3rd ON RIGHT FROM LIGHT POLE.

With the application now filed, us four amigos enrolled into the ?Delehanty FDNY Prep Course? that was given once a week at night in a Hempstead commercial building that was designed like a classroom. I think it cost us fifty dollars per month to enroll.

At Delehantys we were learning how to take and prepare for the highly competitive exam. We reviewed mathematics, local city history, general history, current events, spelling, pulley ratios, identifying abstract diagrams and memory recall among the popular topics.

I also bought myself the ?ARCO FIREMAN FD? book that was supposed to give you an edge on civil service exams with previous questions and exams from other fire department exams that I immersed myself into.

Eventually when the open competitive exam was given the questions were remarkably simple and not what we expected. As an example, one question showed you the head of a screw with a cross-shaped slot for turning...you then had to select that corresponding screwdriver from three other tool options, the other questions were very similar and not complicated as well. Since the test was very elementary, a couple of points off the exam made a real difference. The part that many of the test takers had trouble with was the memory recollection. Here I was very thankful that I attended the Delehanty prep course...with just a few years out of High School I did not have many opportunities taking civil service exams yet, just a couple perhaps and I did well. Fortunately none of the previous exams I took had a memory recollection part, but the FDNY exam was a possibility, so Delehantys coached us with a very helpful strategy; the strategy was to focus on the image, take the five minutes allocated to review every nuance and detail then burn a memory into your coconut. When the proctor collected the paperwork and allowed you to begin the exam, the very first thing you did was to redraw the image on the scratch paper provided before you did anything else...not even look over the questions or write your name! Solid Gold advice!...Lo and behold, the FDNY entrance exam did in fact have a memory recall part (which was a semi-intricate floor plan with windows, rooms, hallways, doorways, furniture, and victims), and I aced all ten questions pertaining to the floorplan...Later on I heard many students talking after the exam that they ?blew? that portion of the exam and did not do well, as simple as it was.

After the exam us four amigos were relieved and now it was time to celebrate, the stress now behind us we pulled into a White Castle parking lot and loaded up on belly-bombs! Later we would all go home and be glued to a local NYC radio station that divulged the answers for the written test later that night.

After the written exam us four amigos would go to the physical agility practices that were set up at various places and designed to make sure you are training properly in anticipation of the upcoming agility exam.

So, 49 Thomas Street was where it all began for me, the first act of applying for the job I coveted for years as a young man from my shared experiences with Ladder 31, and Uncle Jack during the War Years...ironically a few blocks south is where my career came to an abrupt halt after the attack of September 11.

Among us four amigos, I was the only amigo fortunate to pass both written and physical agility exams. And now here I am, back in the Big Apple and driving down the Long Island Expressway to be sworn in at Brooklyn Boro Hall by Mayor Ed Koch. Monday I will report to Randall's Island at the FDNY Training School. That's next.

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed... Happy Thanksgiving to all!    KMG-365

As I recall, there were over 7,000 men on that list. 
Do you know if they went through the entire list and when the last from that list were hired, or when the first from the next list were hired?

t123ken said:
As I recall, there were over 7,000 men on that list. 
Do you know if they went through the entire list and when the last from that list were hired, or when the first from the next list were hired?

Hello t123ken, not sure what the final list number hired from exam 3040, next exam 1162 final physical agility was given Spring of 1984, hiring started after that. The womens organization held up hiring on 3040 for almost two years. Hope that helps.
Best, JG

68jk09 said:
CHOWS ON JOHHNY....  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emergency-Squad-51-vintage-antique-lunchbox-lunch-box-Johnny-Roy-TV-Aladdin/283689807040?hash=item420d3aecc0:g:tv4AAOSwfrld3cL9

I had this lunch box in 1st or 2nd grade

Johnny Gage,

Thank you so much for the great stories of your time with the DCFD.  I grew up 50 miles south of DC in Fredericksburg, VA.  My close encounter with DCFD came in the spring of 1982.  I was picking a girlfriend up from a relatives apartment that was on Columbia Rd. in Adams Morgan.  As I approached the area, I noticed a large column of smoke in this area and heard the sirens heading in on the box.  There was a fire in an OMD located behind the building I was heading too.  I got to the building just as an Engine Company was laying out with their wagon and a pumper was hooking up to the hydrant to supply the wagons 3" line.  The two piece engine company was something new to me and held my interest watching them get set up.  I soon realized I needed to get out of the way so I headed further up Columbia Rd.  As I approached an intersection, and Engine Co, Truck (a Hahn Tiller) and RS 4 with the Ford Bruco rescue wagon turned onto Columbia Rd. in the opposite lane of traffic and heading directly at me.  I knew that in this situation I was on the losing end, so I quickly found a parking place on the sidewalk for my little Chevy.  These units proceeded in and took their positions for work.  I picked up my girlfriend from the apartment, and headed around the block for a little buffing but could not get close to the scene.  I did note E21's Ford pumper hooked to a hydrant suppling the wagon down the block. I wanted to park again and get a little closer to observe the action, but this girlfriend wanted nothing to do with my interest in the fire service.  She was not my girlfriend for long!  It was great to see how DCFD operated and how quickly they went to their positions and controlled the fire.  I wish now I had made a few more trips to the Big City (other than to the Georgetown Bars) during this time.  It would have been great to capture some of the action of this aggressive fire department.  I did return a few years later to attend some training with DCFD, but at this point the crack wars had taken hold of many neighborhoods and there were places you did not venture out into, especially Southeast where we were.  Looking forward to the next installment of your early FDNY days, and thanks for bringing back good memories!

Thanks Brother Fltpara16 for your kind thoughts, yes, DCFD was a wonderful experience and I am grateful to have been a small part of it from 1979-1982. With two piece engine companies, and four engine companies assigned to a Box that was eight pieces of apparatus, NOT including the two trucks, Rescue and Chief assigned too! If you stood on the right corner it would be like watching a fire parade as the apparatus whizzed by...with all that apparatus on one Box the surounding area got congested very quickly. DC Engines first and second due dropped a supply line whether there was any indication of fire or not. Since the DCFD did not have a real problem with false alarms, almost every call generated by telephone, therefor, lines were dropped, and picked up just as quick if not needed. It was an awesome experience working in the Nations Capital, some super firefighters too!

E 21's neighborhood was Adams Morgan and Columbia Rd was the main drag, the firehouse was one block north of Columbia Rd. Adams Morgan (no hyphen) was two local schools that combined their resources in the 50's to enhance the neighborhood childrens education and racial differences.

Thanks for checking in! Best, JG

Downtown and midtown Manhattan used to have a 4 engine response but not every unit had a hose wagon. The Fire Patrol also responded with a unit in those areas so there was almost as much apparatus responding to initial alarms.

PROBY SCHOOL

After last Friday?s swearing in at Brooklyn Boro Hall and now with the weekend behind me, this Monday morning our class is to report to the Training Facility on Randall?s Island, the ?Rock? we have been told to park on the gravel section of the parking lot and not on the blacktop, my first order as a NYC Fireman!...Arriving in the designated parking area I notice a hundred and fifty new clean shaven faces, all with that confused and apprehensive look...everyone is scanning the unfamiliar grounds, looking around, eager to meet new friends and share an exciting unknown journey ahead. Some guys seem a bit edgy, but all seem enthusiastic about getting the ?show on the road?. Immediately a Lieutenant approaches the group and introduces himself, he is soft spoken and kind manners as he welcomes us...He informs us; when he calls your name you are to line up on the yellow lines painted on the blacktop in front of the first training structure and begin forming the first of two platoons of seventy five guys, each platoon has three squads of twenty five men...when your name came up, you fell in place next to the previous named recruit. One by one guys were falling in, there were only a few of us still standing on the gravel stone as the last squad was forming in the second platoon, finally my name was called, I was in the third squad, second platoon. My partner immediately to my right  was Joe Leavey (RIP 9/11), we became friends right away. The Lieutenant (I cannot remember his name, but I remember him telling us stories about 17 Truck) asked for anyone with a military background, those who had raised their hands and volunteered to become our squad and platoon leaders. I remember our squad leader was Sidney, a very cool and calm vet, quick to laugh and with a warm genuine smile.

Our squad, why is it in every group photo someone has to "give the bird?"

JohnnyGage next to Joe Leavey (RIP 9/11)

The first day was a whirlwind, the exciting notion that you were now at the training school and  being bombarded with orders, greeting new faces, absorbing new sights, navigating confusing criss-crossing hallways and classrooms, made the day go by quickly. But the instructors knew how to turn the chaos into order before we even left the tarmac to head inside and begin filling out paperwork and receiving lectures. Different squads would head off to have your head measured for a leather helmet, (a machine that formed around your head and then translated the data to a helmet mold specifically for you (we would not receive our helmets until we graduated). After that you tried on for size a turnout coat and given the option of either a duck canvas material coat that seemed very popular or a rubber coat. I had the duck canvas style in DCFD, it held water and was cold during the winter and not so crazy about it, so I decided to select the rubber coat...and I?m glad I did! (I do not recall getting very wet inside as the rubber repelled the water instantly). Everyone was issued a black round hard plastic/ fiberglass type helmet, three quarter rubber boots, a used yellow slicker and heavy light blue fire resistant shirt to be worn underneath the slicker for the smoke house. Our class was the first to wear the new dungaree pants and blue tee shirt. The white silk screened ?Florian Cross? (The Florian Cross is the actual Firefighter Cross, often mistakenly called the ?Maltese?) was stenciled in the wrong location on many shirts, instead of the cross being over your left breast, it was stenciled too low and almost under your arm, in the middle of your chest, or left part of your upper stomach. On your helmet you had to run masking tape along the side just above the brim and then write our last name for identification on front and back. On our boots we had to mark them as per department orders, there would be three lines, the top line you wrote NYFD, the middle line your name and the bottom line your Badge number. When I received my badge, there were two ?used? Florian style badges in a small yellow envelope. I received Badge number 10617, I liked the fact that it was a five digit number, same as Uncle Jacks whose badge number was 10324. Of the two badges, one was a hat badge and the other you could wear (but nobody did) on your dress uniform. (My dress uniform badge rounded arch that displayed the hydrant was partially snapped off, but I did not intend to wear it on my uniform anyway and so it sat in my jewelry box until I retired).

Notice location of Florian Cross stenciled incorrectly on work duty tee shirt

Within a day or so, everyone fell into the daily routine and becoming more comfortable, we were becoming a solid paramilitary organization. As we got to know one another most of us were able to hook up into carpools quickly. On my first day I recognized one of the recruits as a former High School colleague and volly fireman from another nearby local fire department, his name was Stevie. Stevie was an electrician by trade, and coincidentally used to ?carpool? with my younger brother to their Union affiliated Electrical night school, now Stevie and I would start car pooling. Stevie and I then met another fellow who lived nearby, Santo, who preferred to be called ?Chicky?, he had one of those long four syllable Italian last names that were easily mispronounced that began with ?Cicc?... Santo had just bought a new compact sedan and offered to do all the driving. During our first week riding back and forth we picked up a fourth rider, Paul, a former transit cop who was switching over from Transit Police to the FD. Paul, is a real nice guy, but a little aloof...he never made eye contact with you when he spoke to you, he kind of glanced over your shoulders and rocked up, down, back and forth on his heels... At the end of our Proby training I still don?t think Paul knew our names (But he did retire as a Captain, Stevie retired as a respected Engine Chauffeur after twenty years and Santo retired with a disability five years on the job after he was hit by a car in front of his assigned quarters).

The first few weeks of proby school seemed to go by fast, we were scheduled to graduate in October but that still seemed so far off. It was only a short time ago that I completed the DCFD Training School...With that experience behind me I was not overly apprehensive about the scaling ladder or aerial ladder climb confidence courses, and I sought of knew what to expect of the smoke house...the days seemed to blur by, we had a good squad and new friendships were forming, the officer instructors were getting to know us little by little and started to lighten up on the drill sergeant schtick... And we were getting to learn who the instructors were too, the ones you could have a little fun yukking it up with, which were most, but a few of the others you avoided. Some of the more colorful instructors we mimicked  behind their backs for a quick laugh...However,  everyone, and I mean everyone, feared the Captain who ran the proby school!... Captain Saccomanno... to be called up to his office or singled out by him was to be avoided at all costs. Captain Saccomanno was gruff, stern, hardened and intimidating...and he let it be known that he set the standard; exemplary. Of which he, in turn,  demanded the highest standards from us recruits, no excuses. Captain Saccomanno  had a lean wiry build, not very tall, but he stood ten feet tall in his impeccable uniform, he walked with a purpose when we observed him walking around the training facility, all eyes following him. (Little did I know he could have came from the same mold that Tough Timmy came from!).

Outdoor Training Stations

Another Lieutenant , we?ll call him Lt. Snarl; which actually rhymes with his real name, was a relentless pain in the ass and bad tempered, always with a scowl on his face...he was ruthlessly unkind bashing and insulting recruits and he never let up, unyielding even to the last day, he seemed miserable...So now, when your squad went from one outdoor training session to the other you did so in formation and belted out a cadence. One ingenious member of our squad began incorporating Lt. Snarl?s name in vain into our favorite cadence, other squads loved it and they too picked up on the unflattering ditty and began using it too..I forget how the song went, but I remember distinctly the last line as we accentuated it loud and clear jubilantly;  ?...you grumpy fat f*&% !?...(He had a large beer belly).

Even todays Proby's employ a cadence between training sessions

During proby school the name of the game was of course not to be highlighted or bring attention to yourself. I had a few turns in the barrel as well as everyone else. But we were somewhat fortunate, among our twenty five squad members we had one recruit that was always screwing things up and not getting it right, despite all of us trying to pitch in to help him, ?til the very end he was hopeless. It bode poorly for our squad as we acquired extra cleaning details, but the good thing he was like a lightning rod for the instructors, taking the heat... and that let the rest of us slide under the radar.

However, eventually you get nabbed, and I did a few times. My first was toward the end of a warm summer August day? Since all recruits had to assemble in the auditorium for the daily lecture towards the end of the day, it was tough to keep your eyes open and you could see many recruits start to nod off, bleary-eyed trying to remain awake. Lieutenant instructors were along the sidelines looking for the culprits, and as soon as one saw your head drop or roll, they would come down the aisle, tap you on the shoulder, do the ?come with me finger thing? and make you stand in the rear of the auditorium for the remainder of the lecture...which could be almost an hour. Many times there were more than a dozen recruits standing in the rear, many repeat offenders. I was doing my best, I was exhausted and I was doing so well hanging in there...when suddenly a tap on my shoulder I opened my eyes to see Lt. Larklin looking me in the face, ?let?s go son?, he whispered kindly. I was embarrassed and mortified, not only because I was caught  with my head rolling, but I noticed on his left collar brass was an E 45. ?Holy $&*#?, I said to myself!  This intolerable infraction (drama added) is surely going to get back to ?Uncle Jack!? who was assigned to E 45 at the time, furthermore this was the company I presumed I was heading for after graduation. I stood in the back, all wired up thinking how am I going to explain this to Unk Jack when he calls me after he finds out from Larklin on my impromptu siesta during training school lecture?... Of course nothing ever happened, soon enough there were a bunch of us standing in the rear. But that was the only time I was nabbed for that offense, as a preventative measure I made sure I had a couple of swigs of hot coffee in the cafeteria before we assembled for the lecture.

End of Day lecture

During two other outside training sessions I became the unintended focus recruit of our squad, the ?lucky one?. At one training event we were practicing how to slide down the pole that was mounted on the outside of one of the training buildings by itself, here we climbed up the stairs in single file and when it was your turn you ?slid? the pole. I?ve slid the pole hundreds of times in DCFD, and there was nothing to it. When it was my time, I simply slid the pole with no fanfare and proceeded to walk toward the end of the line of our squad to repeat, until I heard ?Just a minute there Mr. Gage, where do you think you are? Back in the DC Fire Department??... I had no idea how the instructor knew of my previous history, but he wanted to have a little fun with me and he insisted I slide the pole again and again while he had my squad stand by to watch. I must have gone up the steps and slid down the pole five consecutive times while he stood to the side smirking.

At another session not to far from the sliding pole we had to handle a deuce and a half with another Instructor. Everyone would have a chance on the nob, the line was charged with high pressure that required all your strength and grit to maintain control with a backup firefighter. To make it more difficult we were kneeling on loose gravel and it was a struggle to maintain solid footing to support the line advancement. Now, It was my turn on the nob, and I had a good back up firefighter (Joe Leavey), we duck crawled as instructed, then advanced on our knees, the Lieutenant instructor standing next to me we used to call him (Unbeknown to him, of course) Yogi, as in Yogi Bear, ( and we noticed that he hung around another instructor that was rather short, so we called him ?BooBoo?...Yogi and BooBoo, the tag fit for both). Yogi was tall, large and beefy, he had thick curly hair and was a bit goofy, but usually a calm demeanor. Today, though, uncharacteristically he was being a hard ass toward the squad. I took my place on the nob and got a firm grip, carefully pulling the nozzle bale towards me the line comes alive... Yogi is yelling into my ear over the loud water gushing from the nozzle ...?MOVE IN, MOVE IN !?...I continue methodically duck walking forward, whipping the nozzle clockwise with a straight solid stream. Yogi is yelling louder at me: ?IT?S OVER MY HEAD, THE FIRE IS OVER MY HEAD, OVER MY HEAD, I SAID !?...With all my strength I pull the arms length of hose with the nozzle straight up into the air, above us, the water cascading down onto the squad...but that?s not enough, he continues to bark into my left ear,  ?OVER MY HEAD, OVER MY HEAD?!?...with that, I leaned back even further and with all my ability and vigor I swirl the nob further backwards, still in the circulating motion..when all of a sudden it happened...to this day I can still hear the slapping sound of solid stream smacking a solid object, that would be Yogi?s forehead and propelling his helmet high into the afternoon sky, landing some distance away..Oh, Man! Did he explode!...I shut down the line...Yogi, now red-faced, wet and flustered threatened to keep me for the next three proby schools; ?YOU AIN?T GOIN? NOWHERE, GAGE!? he kept berating me over and over loudly...Our squad had a great time remembering that instance for the remainder of our training, it afforded us a lot of laughs.

Notice gravel rock off of sidewalk and surrounding building.

Anyway, our day of reckoning came and our class of one hundred fifty probationary fireMEN graduated, the last class of all males, the next class will have the first twenty-five female recruits in attendance.

First Official Mugshot for ID Card and "Newspaper" if......

A couple of years ago the Retiree Group I belong to was organized, lo and behold Captain Saccomanno and Lt. Larklin eventually joined our group...To this day I see Captain Saccamanno and Lieutenant Larklin at my monthly retirees group meeting, in fact I sit with them both at the round table sharing coffee and chatting with them...I did not know that Captain Saccamanno was a former member of E 88 before he was promoted and we have a fun time exchanging stories!... One time I reminded Larklin how we met back in proby school and my concern of him ratting me out to Unk Jack when I nodded off during lecture and was handpicked by him to stand in the rear of the auditorium... We laugh, and he says??He should have called Jack!? Both guys are sweethearts, mellow, cool and real fine Gentlemen..

But, WOW, they were both HOLY TERRORS back in ?82!

Thanks for reading....  Hope you enjoyed!                KMG-365

Dan, during your Probie Days at the Rock, I probably had you and the other Probies under surveillance once or twice a week back then. I would usually make a visit to the Rock before I hung out in the streets chasing the FDNY rigs.

Actually, I enjoyed going over to the Fire Academy watching the guys train and I would often pick up a few "tricks of the trade" that I couldn't wait to show off to my local Connecticut Brother Firefighters. But I really owe it all to you guys and those GREAT FDNY Fire Instructors.

I remember seeing the guys with those helmets having their last names written on that masking tape. I remember the gravel lot and the sign that said: "No Probie Parking Beyond Here".

But Johnny, there's more. One day when walking around, taking pictures, I asked a boss some questions regarding the Probie Training. That boss turned out to be Captain Saccomanno. He invited me into his office and he explained to me about the FDNY Probie Training and how it is set up. But he also gave me a copy of an FDNY Probie Manuel, which I believe, I still have today. I think it was his copy because his name is written on it in pencil.

That Probie manual opened the door for me to understand the tactics of the FDNY. I added the updates every three months to it which I would get at the FDNY Fire Academy. Later I would add all of the FDNY Manuals like Ladders Vol 1-6 (?), Engine Co ops etc. What Capt Saccomanno gave me that day was a tremendous help to me in doing the job and in helping other guys I worked with to do the job.

So Dan, I hope you will pass this on to him. 

Thanks Dan for your recollections of a Great Time in an FDNY FFs early life.... i have never personally met Richie Saccamanno  but i remember a WNYF picture of an impending  BX collapse that DC Vinny Dunn later had said to us that it was Richie as a FF holding the Nozzle in 88 maybe a cover photo ?  ....maybe someone can post it ?

68jk09 said:
Thanks Dan for your recollections of a Great Time in an FDNY FFs early life.... i have never personally met Richie Saccamanno  but i remember a WNYF picture of an impending  BX collapse that DC Vinny Dunn later had said to us that it was Richie as a FF holding the Nozzle in 88 maybe a cover photo ?  ....maybe someone can post it ?

Maybe this cover?

You got it Turk, thanks!...Richie with the nob, notice 88 frontpiece on Brother at multi- versal.

^^^^ Thanks Turk that's the photo...Vinny Dunn also pointed out that the LT Danny Maher was running to get the guys on the Multiversal who were in danger & may not have been aware......he also said if i remember correctly that the wall collapse was caused by sloping hip rafters at the end of a bow string heavy timber truss roof.

WELCOME TO BELMONT AVENUE!

A couple of weeks before we were to graduate from proby school a few company officers from L 54 came down to the Rock looking to “recruit” a couple of probies for their company. I knew nothing about the company, only that it was a Bronx truck company, and the idea of being assigned there sounded interesting to me instead of some far off slow engine company. Before I made a decision I thought might be best to run it by ‘Uncle’ Jack for his insightful guidance. That evening after I got home from Proby School I gave Jack a call and told him that L 54 was seeking probies, and what did he think of the company?

Up to that moment, I did not know that Jack had ‘plans’ for me. He said to forget about 54 and told me “that I was coming with him”. As I understood at the time, Jack was a Lieutenant at Engine 45. However in our brief phone call he did not mention that his new home was at L 38, transferring from E 45 a few weeks ago. So as the final weeks of proby school began to wane I was under the impression that I was going to E 45, home of the ‘Eagles’, I was very excited about that since I buffed there many times, knew the house and some of the guys, I was sitting pretty!

Finally what seemed an eternity, the long wait is over and on September 16, 1982 Department Order number 131 came out. There were a few copies being passed around the cafeteria tables as a Lieutenant began to read the names. The order starts off with the lowest engine number and I listen for my name as the Lt gets closer to E 45. He reads a name of a classmate Richard So and So, Engine 45, then the next name skips to another engine. I’m dumbfounded, what just happened here, and within a few more names I hear my name, JohnnyGage, Engine 88. I grab hold of a copy and start looking it over with my squad members, a guy from my class is going to E 45, but it ain’t me. A quick thought ran through my coconut, must have been a mix up somewhere. The only time I ever heard of E 88 was from reading a small blurb from “Report From Engine Co. 82” where E 88 was mentioned. Otherwise I have no clue where this company is.

During proby school, there was one instructor wearing a covering officer E 88 insert, I spoke to him in the cafeteria near the coffee machine. “Hey, Lou, Engine 88? Where is that”?. The first thing the officer asked me was, “who did I know?” which confused me more, then he began to fill me in, ending our conversation his mouth spread wide with a grin and the first of many to come, “Wait until you meet Captain Tough Timmy!”.

As soon as I got home I had two missions, the first, dig out some of my old WNYF magazines and look up the Runs and Workers. I was relieved to note Engine 88 was right in the top engine companies, that was cool. My second was to give Jack a call thinking there might have been a mix up, but that’s when he told me that he had recently transferred to L 38 and did not realize he did not inform me, then followed by a chuckle he went on to tell me I would be working with the legendary “Tough Timmy!”...again with “Tough Timmy”, who is this guy?

20191208-173949-1.jpg
After we were sworn into the FDNY in Brooklyn the first couple of days I got to meet new friends and actually a High School friend who was hired too. When I left DCFD I was driving a Black 1955 Chevy I bought from another firefighter that he had rebuilt, it was in fine condition and ran well, it was a fun car to drive and with a 327 cubic inch motor in it, it was quick but not suitable for driving back and forth everyday. The car met it’s fate when my younger brother took it for a ride and smashed it up. But the first free days of school, I met a new classmate who lived nearby and we started a carpool, his name was “Chicky” and bought a new Chevy Chevette. Within a week we had a full car full of guys, including my old High School friend Steve. Chicky preferred driving and we took turns taking care of the gas and a few cold ones for the ride home.

Lucky for me, while in proby school I received my pension check from DCFD, not much of course for only being there for three years, but I was able to buy a sleek looking 1977 Silver Mercury Cougar from a used car lot. The car handled like a limousine with all the extra features that I never had before in any of my cars.

download.jpg
Driving the first day to E 88 I remember how comfortable the plush car seats felt, sitting back gliding over some of the rough Bronx Streets and riding in style with FM radio, what a difference from the 55 Chevy that had no air conditioning and no power steering.

I made sure to arrive extra early at the firehouse, turning right from 182nd Street onto Belmont Avenue I noticed right away the three story brick firehouse ahead of me in the middle of the block of two story homes, my heart started thumping quicker as I cruised closer. I slowly drove past the firehouse toward one of the available parking spots along the street reserved for fire department vehicles. Passing by I noticed the Engine Bay door open with an American LaFrance engine standing at the ready, two white 8’s on the front cab, this must be the place!

Standing alongside leaning against the open apparatus door was a senior-looking fireman with his arms crossed passing the time. After I parked the car, I grabbed the two cakes I bought at my local bakery and started my way to the open door. In Proby school you were continually reminded repeatedly to make sure you do not enter your firehouse “empty handed”, it was good advice. I was greeted by the fireman standing by the door, upon seeing me he had a welcoming smile, “Hello Kid!, Welcome to 88, I’m Ralph, the nicest guy in this firehouse!” as he laughed out loud. (NOTE: I so loved that line I kept it for myself during my career and used it every time a new face came into my firehouse). And his statement was true, Ralph was certainly a nice guy, too, the senior man and one of the four ECCs of E 88.

20191208-174821-1.jpg
E 88 is quartered with L 38 in the Belmont section of the Bronx, both companies were organized in 1908. Geographically, the firehouse is further North from E 82 / L 31’s quarters by about thirteen blocks. During the earlier years when I rode as a young teen with Jack at L 31 the response area was almost burnt out and decimated, rumors circulated among firefighters that the next neighborhood “hotspot” that would become victim of fire and arson would be Belmont section. Although most of the Belmont area did see widespread devastation along the southern and western fringes, spared was the immediate area surrounding Arthur Avenue and 187 Street, known as “Little Italy”.

Even today, this area is well known as “The Little Italy” of the Bronx, and compared to Manhattan’s “Little Italy” a real challenge for notoriety. Arthur Avenue is the backbone of the community, and is still a thriving shopping mecca of Italian specialties. Flourishing businesses owned by Italian merchants line Arthur Avenue with exceptional restaurants, cafe’s, markets with fresh produce, live poultry, fresh fish and the finest Italian bread and pastry shops you could ever find in this country. Along 187th Street there are additional phenomenal restaurants, fresh pasta and ravioli shops, meat and cheese markets mixed with specialty shops and religious artifact businesses. When fire companies head out to procure the daily meal, it is not uncommon to see a half dozen rigs parked along the street while the firefighters gather meal provisions.

It was known that “Dion and the Belmonts” a local leading American vocal group of the 1950’s originated their sound on the corners of this neighborhood. The group called themselves the “Belmonts” since two of the four members of the group lived on Belmont Avenue, the other two nearby, Dion grew up around the corner on Hughes Avenue.

Surrounding the Belmont area to the east is the Bronx Zoo off of Southern Blvd. The Bronx Zoo is one of the largest zoos in America with over four thousand animals and more than two million visitors a year. E 88’s motto is “First Due At The Zoo”. (The Zoo is part of E 88’s “Administrative” District, part of our responsibility is to make sure the hydrants work on property, I’ve done that a couple of times, it was always interesting to spend a morning at the Zoo flushing out hydrants while tigers and gorillas eyeball you). One of the members from E 88 had unique collar brass made up, instead of E 88, we had a “ZOO” pin that we wore on our dress uniform shirt collar for company identification.

North of the Bronx Zoo and directly opposite on Fordham Road is the “Bronx Botanical Gardens”, a 250 acre landscape that supports over one million living plants. One block west of the Botanical Gardens is Fordham University campus, Fordham University's ranking in the latest edition of Best Colleges is #74.

Since I had already stopped by the firehouse a few days earlier during our last day of proby school to drop off my equipment, I was assigned to one of twenty five groups and given a locker for my work duty uniforms. I was assigned to group fourteen, one group away from “Captain
Tough Timmy’s” group, and of course the warnings about working with him continued to en masse from the members (At that time, Captain Tim Gallagher was on medical leave recovering from serious burns he received in the performance of rescuing a person with disabilities).

20191208-174655-1.jpg

After greeting “the nicest guy in the firehouse”, Ralph, I proceeded quietly up the stairs to the third floor passing the dark second floor bunk room where the members were still in the racks. I was eager, excited and anxious all at the same time as I fumbled around with my lock and dressed into my work duty jeans, blue tee shirt with the misaligned Florian Cross and slipped into un-tied black work boots. I noticed the hallways and locker room were very neat and tidy, there are about twenty dark oak wooden wall lockers that are inserted into both walls, and about a dozen metal lockers placed together at the far end of the third floor, that’s where my locker was. The wooden lockers were for senior men, they were a good size, about six feet deep and four feet wide, a wood bar to hang your uniform and a small dresser inside.

Quietly I tip-toed back downstairs and grabbed my new rubber coat off the rack, it was hard to miss since it was the only one with bright yellow stripes. Our “sized” helmets did not arrive before graduation so we were told to take the ugly round pot lids to your assignment and use them until your official helmet was delivered. I had no intention of wearing that odd shaped ridiculous chapeau, so I repainted my DCFD leather helmet back to black from yellow. The DCFD insert was the same style of FDNY and so I just replaced the 21 with the orange “pumpkin” proby insert. When my helmet did arrive, it was too freakin’ tight on my head. I resorted to different techniques attempting to stretch it slightly larger for comfort. Remember, in proby school we all had very short hair, but once we graduated, most of us let our hair grow out, and that little extra hair made all the difference. Anyway, I did get it to fit more comfortably, but it was still tight.

Now downstairs in the quiet firehouse and in the kitchen I started immediately to clean the sink and began meeting new colleagues as they entered. The Belmont firehouse was considered a “Senior House”, most of the firefighters I would work alongside were ‘War Year’ Officers and Veterans. But the last few years E 88 was beginning to receive a bunch of us young bucks from the latest entry exam. I would meet and work alongside two newfound special friends in E 88 while sharing the back step during our budding career. Ed Kearon, who retired as the Commander of B2, and Fireman Marty O'neill. We three served as young firefighters under the tutelage of Tough Timmy Gallagher. Even today we continue to enjoy each other's company and friendship, in fact we often have lunch together and recall the good ol’ Glory Days.

As a recycled proby from my DCFD experience, I completely understood what a proby should be doing and wouldn’t need a learning curve. My philosophy was simple enough, if anyone did not like whatever menial task had to be done, that was my que to step up. First in the sink and last out, last to sit at the dinner table and first to get back into the sink, throw out the garbage. It didn’t stop there, be the last into the bunk, get up during the night to cover the watch when the Truck went out, be the first up in the morning to clean the kitchen and get the first pot of coffee brewing. And it continues, throw out the garbage, strip the beds during committee work, wash, dry, fold sheets and put away, throw out the garbage, do change of tour inspection of self- contained breathing apparatus , throw out garbage, sweep, mop, polish brass fittings and poles, keep moving, did I mention throw out the garbage?

E 88 is a distinguished and highly respected company, we were also listed in the top ten “Runs” category for Engine Companies for many years. As I recall, the busiest night tour I had on-the-job was with 88; in addition to our usual adv fires and emergencies, we responded to thirty runs (Prior to EMS calls) before midnight in part due to a disgruntled person of the community who was riding a motorcycle and pulling fire boxes in the neighborhood. Recently I met up with the covering officer at a retirement party who worked that night in E 88, Lieutenant Jon, he confirmed my recollection and even added that we caught a good first due job later that tour, too!.

Screenshot-2016-09-10-20-19-39.png
Forever good buddies to the end! FF Martin O'neill and BC Ed Kearon!

I remained with E 88 for four years until I made first grade. I am humbled and honored to have worked alongside some of the most respected and admired firefighters and officers of the FDNY.

Thanks for reading, Hope you enjoyed! KMG-365

Last edited: