GLORY DAYS

COUPLE OF ODD COUPLES;  P 1
?BUSHWICK BLUES BROTHERS?

Summertime 1993 and L 112 is proudly celebrating 100 years of fire service to the community and residents of Bushwick. As planned, this morning the company is going to ?March? three blocks north on Knickerbocker Avenue, turn west on Menahan Street for two blocks to Central Avenue terminating at St. Barbara's Church for a Christian Mass. Both E 277 and L 112 will be ?out of service? for the day. Sounds simple enough.

Back up a few months. L 112 members and company officers are conducting a ?Company Meeting? in the firehouse led by Captain Jerry Hartman. Almost every member is in attendance since the topic is the upcoming ?Centennial Celebration? and the big question is ?what are we going to do??.

The greater majority of members thought a Mass and formal celebration was a little bit much. After all, we are ?No Frills?, the name was appropriate in this case and in other ways. We discussed at length about donating money set aside for the festivities to a ?worthy cause? at the benevolence of  L 112. A poll was taken and the majority of the company members were in favor of rejecting the celebration and party. Instead, how about just a nice lunch, toast the members who came before us, and those who are no longer with us. That was the tone and direction the Centennial would take as decided by majority consensus. Meeting adjourned...

Enter the ?Six Who Care?;  these were five members and one officer who decided among themselves afterwards insisted  we must have razzmatazz, pageantry and a parade with all it?s trimmings plus bells and whistles!. And so a parade through the streets of beautiful downtown Bushwick to St. Barbara's Church was planned by the ?SWC?.

It is the day of the centennial, a beautiful warm and comfortable morning, everyone is dressed sharply in their Class A uniform, a solid turnout by the members. Soon we will be stepping off in front of the firehouse and heading north on Knickerbocker Avenue led by Captain Hartman and the company officers. Behind in a double column are the forty or so members that make up both companies with L 112?s apparatus right behind us.

Two of the ?SWC? members occupy the front seat; LCC John ?Elwood? Caluccio and Lt. Tony ?Jake? Campisi of the otherwise ?empty? apparatus. A police car protects our rear.

Our small squadron dressed in blue attempts to stay in formation  trekking up Knickerbocker Avenue first passing Gates Avenue, then Linden Street. Curious onlookers gawk, as some sip from their brown paper bag taking notice of this unusual event, a few wave but most don?t even pay attention as we amble by. We make small talk amongst ourselves.

From behind us the rig starts blaring the horn. We surmise a little noise to create a bit of drama and adventure, however, the apparatus is closing in on the members who have taken notice and becoming alarmed as the rig moves even closer, the siren and air horn blasting away assertively. To a man, we all are looking back at this cacophony of noise behind us. The rig is moving toward us in an aggressive manner as we peel from our ranks and squeeze up against the park cars on Knickerbocker to make room, apparently we are not moving quick enough as we are trying to make sense and completely dumbfounded by this bizarre activity. Unbelievably, the rig mounts the curb and travels down the sidewalk around the remaining members standing in the street nearly smashing into the red and yellow bodega awning. Jake and Elwood are doing an ?end run? around the slow moving members including the bewildered Captain Hartman.

The rig bangs down off the curb and swooshes off toward Myrtle Avenue, siren and horn fading into the distance and out of sight. You would have to think the rig was ?possessed?.

Our small contingent has been  abandoned on Knickerbocker Avenue. Members look at each other in disbelief, I see Captain Hartman scratching his head and the guy drinking from the paper bag clapping while laughing. After a few minutes, the shocked troops reconverge into formation. The police officer behind us has a look of incomprehension.

In a few minutes or so, the rig silently creeps back up behind us and into position. The two front seat knuckleheads, Jake and Elwood appear forlorn and woeful. Apparently they were monitoring the rig's radio when they heard a box come in about four blocks away, in their infinite wisdom decided to ?voluntarily take in? the alarm alone, even if it meant crashing through a parade! I thought only wacky scenes like that only happened in the movies.

I bet you would never see anything like that again in the next 100 years.

Thanks for reading, Hope you enjoyed!        KMG-365

COUPLE OF ODD COUPLES; P 2
?AL DI LA?  MEETS  NORTON

E 277 and L 112 are backing into quarters after ?taking up? from a neighborhood job, it wasn?t much of a job so we are not taking any time for R&R. The relocators that occupied our firehouse are gone and heading back to their quarters. We ready our turnout gear and begin to clean up the equipment we used. First only a few of us noticed, plastered all over the firehouse walls is white copy paper with two large bold words that fill the page; ?Hi AL!?. The ?Hi? on top, with ?AL? and exclamation point on bottom. These handwritten notes are taped everywhere the eye can see; all over the apparatus floor, inside the apparatus floor bathroom, walls of the kitchen and dining room...everywhere. The prank must have been time consuming.

We left the notes undisturbed and called the Ladder Company who relocated to our joint to get  the scoop on their meaning. The firefighter on the other end of the line reveals to us that a recently promoted ?Lieutenant? named ?Al? who just happens to be a newcomer to E277 is the beneficiary of the prank.

He goes further with the story; Once upon a time, Al and a ?study group? of the Brothers from the same Ladder Company were studying for the upcoming Lieutenants exam. Al did well and was promoted. He covered vacancy spots and shortly thereafter assigned to E277.  Prior to his promotion as the story goes from the firefighter, Al experienced some dark days, however the ?study group? of Brothers remained steadfast alongside him day after day until Al?s days became brighter.

After his promotion, Al returned to his previous firehouse and spoke with the remaining members who were still awaiting promotion. When one of his previous ?study group? members called him Al, he was immediately admonished; ?Don?t call me Al, it is Lou, or Lieutenant...but not Al anymore?.

Well, quicker than a speeding bullet, word shot out all over the Knickerbocker Avenue firehouse of this outlandish story. The signs remained up and the ?Don?t call me Al? phrase became the hot topic of discussion in the kitchen. Our leader,  Lieutenant TK, who was a bit of an instigator, started to sing the first line of a 1963 Jerry Vale hit; ?Al di la??. And the gag caught on. Now whenever Lt. Al was seen coming or going from his office, inevitably someone would break into song ?AL (pause, hold the AL note...then, just as Lt. Al gave you the stink eye...continue to sing) di la?...? da da da da-da?.Al di la?...What? I?m just singing here!

Of course there were other songs that worked too. Especially if you were behind Lt. Al, you might break into song, always pausing after the first note like Michael Jackson?s;  ?I?LL (AL)...be there, I?LL (AL) be there??. And of course the Christmas classic ?I?LL (AL)...be home for Christmas. Of course emphasizing the ?Al? part.

One particular night tour we had a detail from L111 to L112. The detail is Firefighter TB. TB is a distinguished, polished, aggressive firefighter, and one of the most remarkable Brothers I have ever worked with. TB has an extraordinary electric character, he affectionately calls everyone ?Norton?. And so everyone returns the favor and calls him Norton, right back.

It is a hoot watching TB when he is in full schtick mode, indescribably entertaining. L 111 is renownedly known as ?The Nut House?, and TB is the perfect ambassador. Right now he is the court jester in our small confining dining room, everyone working this night tour is watching this spectacular performance. TB is bare chested and flexing his muscles to our amusement with howls of laughter. He is on a roll!...Only one person is missing and it is Lt Al who has barricaded himself in the Engine office.

During TB?s production Lt Al emerged from his burrow and came downstairs for a cup of coffee. Lt. Al takes a peek from the kitchen into the dining room and sees the uproarious floorshow. In a flash Lt. Al disappears back upstairs and closes his office door but not before TB takes notice of this peculiar ?non-conformity? as we kind of mention his ?Don?t call me Al? demand.

TB does not miss a beat and In the middle of his artistic performance, he?s enlightened! Abruptly, the bare chested TB races up the stairs toward the Engine Office carrying a halligan tool. From downstairs we can hear the office door kicking open with TB exploding into the office singing; ?AL Di LA, DA DA DA DA-DA...?.

On Knickerbocker Avenue you didn?t just need thick skin, you needed a shell.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!    KMG-365

JohnnyGage, we appreciate your stories.

So we hope you like this gift - FROM US TO YOU. As we take you back to those Glory Days of the Past.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kcPlHGG-q4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiWgKEFyY0A

Willy, you're always spot on with these videos! Love the Ed Norton clip, he really was a "blast from the past".

'KNOW WHEN TO SAY WHEN'

Since the early years of the first American colonies and the formation of fire companies, fire companies often shared friendly and not so friendly rivalries. Sometimes even brawling at the scene of a fire. Pride and tradition is solidly instilled and reinforced into company members and at times may clash with opposing companies bearing the same attributes. 

L 112 has had a few runs with our colleagues from Bedford Stuyvesant TL 111. Typical wise cracks are exchanged with affection and friendliness. TL 111; ?The Nut House? is a well known and distinguished tower-ladder company with  highly motivated and dynamic members on their roster, they are proud to be called ?The Nut House?.  And their nickname suits them well.

This particular summer day tour, one of our L 112 members, Fr Kayce seems to have developed testicular fortitude as he continues to shoot some over-the-top snide remarks at the members of TL 111 relentlessly. The recipients of the wise cracks are becoming annoyed and cease laughing, the usual smirks and smiles have been replaced with the stink eye. A couple of us tell Kayce that he might want to back it off a notch and  tone down the bull$hit.

Late afternoon, back in quarters the news from the truck office to the housewatch is tonight L 112 has to detail one member to ?The Nut House? TL 111...wait for it?and yes,  Fr. Kayce just happens to have the detail slot. A collision of instant karma and retribution is heading Kayce?s way.

The next morning following the night tour Kayce spent with TL 111 two women approach the Knickerbocker Avenue firehouse door and knock on it, dutifully, the house watchman cracks open the door to address the ladies, one of the ladies states that there is a firefighter across the street in the firehouse parking lot and he says ?he needs help?.

Across the street, leaning helplessly against the eight foot chain link fence is Fr. Kayce and he has been wrapped in duct tape every inch of his body from head to toe with his arms against his sides. He resembles a lumpy silver mummy and for good measure an old trophy cup has also been duct taped protruding from his a$$... Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Moral of the story, two thoughts; ?Know when to say when? and never mess with a company that calls themselves ?The Nut House!?.

Hope you enjoyed, Thanks for reading!    KMG-365

Dan,  your TB/ Norton story was a Classic.  The LT must have been beside himself.  Tommy is the Only Fireman I know to be assigned to Ladders 111, 112 & 113.  Finishing his career in Squad 252.  We (when I was a Fireman in 111) used to say, if we were trapped, we want Norton to come and get us. I don?t recall the story of your detail to our place But both Companies had the Highest respect for each other. I look back to my Brooklyn time as a Fireman in TL -111 and the Captain of TL -120 (for 10 years) and think about the GREAT Trucks we ran in with and all the Trucks I covered in throughout the Boro, listed in order, Ladders: 102, 103, 105, 107, 108, 112, 113, 123, 124, 132, 147, 157, 159, 170, 174, 175, 176.  That is Some collection of Truck Companies. I hope I didn?t leave anyone in the ?Hood? out. The level of Firemen was the highest and the quality of these individuals were even better. Told someone down in Florida yesterday, the ultimate compliment from the Brothers is,? He?s a Good Fireman?

As a side note,  I spent my first 11 years on the Job on the Mainland, the BX. Another day and another story...

^^^^^^Hi John, thanks for jumping in! I know with your background and history you must have a cache full of great stories and memories, you worked in great shops and always very well respected.... TB was certainly one of a kind, if you met him one time, you could never forget him... even as I type I'm smiling thinking of him, it's very true, I thought the same thing typing about TB, if I was in a jam, I would hope TB was nearby! (Saw TB at a L112 old timers reunion a couple weeks ago, hasn't missed a beat!)...You and I were very lucky to be on the job during a special time and work with great truck companies and learn from the "Masters"...that is the perfect discription of those war year vets. You too John, a gentleman and one of the fine "Masters" of our time.

‘GLORY DAYS’ FLASHBACK;
DCFD; 1982

“LET NO MAN’S GHOST RETURN TO SAY HIS TRAINING LET HIM DOWN”. April 20, 1982, four months before I was called for the FDNY I was a firefighter with the Washington D.C. Fire Department. No truer words of the motto could have been more suitable this night tour.

I was hired on August 6, 1979 and became one of twenty four probationary students, Class #273. Our training was as expected, tough and grueling. Part of the training curriculum you had to be proficient in the “scaling ladder” evolution. You hoisted the single beam ladder up hand over hand, rotated the hook ninety degrees into the window, climbed up and repeated the evolution when you reached the window ledge above. This continued until you reached the roof of the six story double windowed tower. There was a net below, just in case.

After graduation; I was assigned to Engine Company 21, the “Alley Rats”, a single, two piece company in the northwest neighborhood of Adams Morgan. E 21 is considered a very active and proven fire company. In 1979 E 21 was selected among the fifty one companies as “Fire Company of the Year”, an annual award presented by the City Administrators for all around performance and administrative duties.

An architect designed the 1908 firehouse located on Lanier Place in a Spanish “Alamo” style with dark green trim including the apparatus doors. Two blocks behind the firehouse is the National Washington DC Zoo, one of the oldest zoos in America and part of the Smithsonian Institution. On a calm quiet night you can hear the roar from the big cats while resting in the bunkroom.

DCFD Engine Companies still operate a two-piece concept. Both rigs are set up exactly the same with pumps, hand tools, hose beds and handlines. The first piece is called the “Wagon”, it is the newer rig,, the second piece is called a “Pumper”. The Wagon was where the Wagon Driver, Engine Officer, Lineman and Layout man rode, the pumper followed close behind with just the pumper driver by himself, known as the Pumper Driver. The Pumper Driver’s mission was to secure the hydrant and supply the wagon while the crew from the first piece began stretching hoselines.

Washington DC streetscape was designed on a grid system with the Capital at the center, streets running north and south are numbered, the streets running east to west are lettered. Almost every block was dissected with an alleyway. On a “Box Alarm” assignment, four engines, two trucks, a squad and Battalion Chief responded, twelve pieces of apparatus converging to a street corner. Alarm assignment went as follows; the first and third due companies responded to the front of the building, the second and fourth due took positions in the rear alleyway. Regardless of conditions showing, the first and second due companies “laid out” a supply line from the nearest hydrant.

With dinner now complete, we roll dice to see who does the pots and pans in the sink, high and low rollers get the honor. It’s a little after 2100 hours, when the city wide vocal alarm breaks the silence with two tones indicating a higher level alarm is about to be transmitted, everyone in the firehouse stops and tunes in for the alert; “BOX ALARM: ENGINE 9, 21, 23 and 1, TRUCKS 6,3, RESCUE SQUAD 1 BC 4: 1514 17th STREET. FIRE REPORTED ON 4th FLOOR.” The member on house watch duty furiously bangs on the house gong as crew members scurry from all parts of the firehouse to the apparatus. Kicking off my duty shoes and slide into my three-quarter boots simultaneously flinging on my yellow turnout coat. The rig eager to pull out, I hop onto the Hahn “Wagon” as it roars out and heads down Lanier Place, the Ford Pumper following close behind. At the end of Lanier Place begins 18th Street and we charge down the broad street, since we are second due, we split lay and drop a supply line from the alley that dissects P and Q Street towards the 17th Street address. Radio reports have confirmed an apartment rockin’ on the fourth floor, the building is a large pre-war seven story brick apartment house that is shaped like the letter E shaped wings.

Reaching our position in the rear and preparing to stretch a handline, we notice a woman overhead at a fourth floor window panic stricken and screaming that she is trapped. A member of L 3 has placed a thirty five foot ladder to the third floor window, one floor below the distressed woman and far too short to reach her. Suddenly, scurrying around the corner Firefighter Joe Nevel from L 3 is dragging a sixteen foot scaling ladder with the gooseneck over his shoulder.

Joe is having a bit of difficulty handling the cumbersome ladder in the tight alley by himself. The scaling ladder, made from aluminum alloy has a single beam with cross rungs and a long gooseneck that hooks into window sills. My boss notices the struggle, directs me to “drop the line and give him a hand”. I pass off my folds and grab the bottom of the scaling ladder with my right hand. And up-we-go on the 35’ portable ladder to the third floor. Joe is carrying the gooseneck hook in his right hand, I have the lower half of the single rail in my right hand as we climb in tandem.

Reaching the third floor, I pass my end up to Joe as he raises the ladder like we were taught in proby school, hand over hand then hooking the gooseneck into the fourth floor window. He begins to climb and I follow behind.

On the training ground, scaling ladders can be used effectively to develop confidence in a probationers climbing ability. It also helps probationers learn to work at ease at unusual heights. Each DCFD probationary firefighter was required to perform a six story single person climb that required personal fortitude and upper body strength. The proby raised the ladder from the window hand over hand, hooking the gooseneck into the window above, climbed the ladder into the above window and continued the procedure until he reached the top floor.

Joe reaches the fourth floor and climbs into the window, I move up and take a position eye level with the window sill. The frightened woman is rather large but has no problem hoisting herself over the window ledge without hesitation nearly kicking me in the face. I place her foot on a lower rung and firmly embrace her with a death grip on another rung, slowly we descend step by step.

Reaching the third floor window and thirty five foot portable ladder I’m trying to decide should we continue down the thirty five foot ladder, knowing that would be a hairy transfer or should I just bust into the third floor window. Joe suggests from above, “Kick in the window”, the window would be the better option. I kicked through the open screen and scooted her into the apartment. Joe followed us down. With three of us now in the safe confines of the apartment below Joe escorted the woman to the street. I climbed down the portable ladder and resumed my engine duties.

Joe received the highest DCFD award that year, the “Gold Bar” and I was honored to receive a “Chief’s Commendation Certificate” and a lasting memory of being a small part of a rescue team to effect a scaling ladder rescue with the DCFD. A successful operation thanks to the training and dedication of the esteemed training school instructors. “LET NO MAN’S GHOST RETURN TO SAY HIS TRAINING LET HIM DOWN”.

It was immensely rewarding being a firefighter in our nation's capital. I am forever grateful for the outstanding training I received and the pleasure of working with a very dedicated professional brotherhood of firefighters. Some thirty nine years later, I still feel a personal connection with the DCFD.

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for reading! KMG-365

images.jpg

20190331-131519-1-1.jpg

Screenshot-2019-04-17-07-35-21-1.png

Screenshot-2019-04-17-07-58-29-1.png

Last edited:
I agree with Frank.  Great story!  Keep 'em comin!  Where on Long Island are you from?

raybrag said:
I agree with Frank.  Great story!  Keep 'em comin!  Where on Long Island are you from?

Thanks fdce and Ray for your comments, more stories on the way.
To Ray; Born in Brooklyn, grew up on LI in Brentwood, Suffolk County.

I know where Brentwood is, but I'm not sure about Brooklyn.  Isn't it located someplace east of First Avenue in Manhattan??

manhattan said:
I know where Brentwood is, but I'm not sure about Brooklyn.  Isn't it located someplace east of First Avenue in Manhattan??

"manhattan" you fit right in.

Are you sure you NEVER worked in a firehouse before ? Because it sure sounds to me like you did.

Those guys that have spent any time in one of those neighborhood firehouses are usually the Best when it comes to figuring out the answers to the Worlds BIGGEST Problems. "Only" because they know how to ask the Right Questions. Then putting it all together such as you did "manhattan", they can clearly come up with the correct answer.

Thank you JohnnyGage and all the guys who have contributed to this. My next question. Could a MOVIE be in the Making called: "GLORY DAYS".

A quick BX story,  I am a young (27 y/o) Fireman in Ladder Company 48 in the Hunts Point section of the South Bronx. The locals used to say, ?the Point is where it?s at?. So much for where it?s at, the Firehouse became the only occupied building on the block, losing the rest to fire. It?s probably 1979. We are in a tenement overhauling after a Job with 31 Truck. I have the Can position, as I did for probably one year straight when I transferred across the floor, since 48 was one of the Most Senior Trucks on the Job (lucky me). For some reason, we and 31 are in the same apartment and 31 Legend, Jerry Albert looks over to me and says, ?hey Kid, give me your Hook?. I am with Eddie Scott, one of 48?s legends and I recoil in horror. I clutch the hook to my body and would Never think of parting with it, imagine. Jerry looks at Eddie, chuckles and says to Ed, ?you taught him well ?.  As Johnny Gage presented and I have alluded to, They were the Masters.  Several years ago we buried another South BX Legend, Gene Hessler and I saw Eddie for the first time in almost 20 years at the funeral. Glad I had the opportunity to speak with him. Eddie Scott died 6 months later...

Eddie Tegjian ( spelling) was the FF from Ladder 48 that I remember in that capacity.  I was a Johnny LT assigned to the 6th division and working the R group (94/48 and 71/55)  Eddie always treated me with respect as he did with every officer.  He took the irons almost every tour and he took ? the kid? with him on the can.  ?The kid? may have had 15 years on the job.  Eddie may have carried the Rabbit tool, but there?s no way he was going to use it.  He was a fireman?s fireman.  RIP Eddie

Eddie Teijan was a little younger then most of the real Senior guys in 48 but we are talking about men with 25-30 years of South BX firefighting experience during the busiest time in the history of the FDNY. He became The Senior Man in 48 Truck and was revered by the members. I remember him as a helpful man to a young Fireman (me) and respected by all the members and Officers of 94/48 & the 3rd Battalion. I am thankful for him passing his knowledge to me but more importantly, befriending me. One of the signs of a Good Shop is how they treat the Covering Officers and we, 94/48, Always took care of them.  I was promoted to Captain the Sunday following 911 and covered throughout the city for 2 years so I have a good understanding of how a Covering Officer should and does get treated.  Eddie was a wonderful person and everyone who knew him was saddened by his loss...

jkal said:
A quick BX story,  I am a young (26 y/o) Fireman in Ladder Company 48 in the Hunts Point section of the South Bronx. The locals used to say, ?the Point is where it?s at?. So much for where it?s at, the Firehouse became the only occupied building on the block, losing the rest to fire. It?s probably 1979. We are in a tenement overhauling after a Job with 31 Truck. I have the Can position, as I did for probably one year straight when I transferred across the floor, since 48 was one of the Most Senior Trucks on the Job (lucky me). For some reason, we and 31 are in the same apartment and 31 Legend, Jerry Albert looks over to me and says, ?hey Kid, give me your Hook?. I am with Eddie Scott, one of 48?s legends and I recoil in horror. I clutch the hook to my body and would Never think of parting with it, imagine. Jerry looks at Eddie, chuckles and says to Ed, ?you taught him well ?.  As Johnny Gage presented and I have alluded to, They were the Masters.  Several years ago we buried another South BX Legend, Gene Hessler and I saw Eddie for the first time in almost 20 years at the funeral. Glad I had the opportunity to speak with him. Eddie Scott died 6 months later...

"jkal", a story not about a member of the FDNY, but of a young Con Edison Employee working on Hunts Point Ave. That young Con Ed guy working in dahood at the time is our very own site member "fdce54", aka Mr Frank Donohue.

One day working on that Hunts Point Ave in one of those "then" occupied buildings, he is alone in there working by himself. When he comes out and the job is finished, a couple of Anti Crime Cops had been watching that building. Yes, apparently some kind of illegal activity was taking place in there.

As he comes out the Three Anti Crime cops want to talk to him. They ask him what he's doing in there. He tells them; "I work for Con Ed, in fact there's my truck parked up the street".

They then said to him - "You went in there by yourself" ? He tells them "yes".

Then they said to him: 'You know what - when we go in there, there's THREE of us and we carry guns". "When the firemen go in there , there's six of them and they carry heavy tools".

They then told him: "The NYPD is the Finest, The FDNY is the Bravest, But the Con Ed workers are the F##king Craziest".

Many of us here know that "Crazy Con Edison worker" who goes by the name of "fdce54".

Also, a good friend to many of us here, (I don't know if he goes on this site though), is Retired Lt Kenny Burbulak. I think he was at 94/48 back in those Glory Days. He usually has a few good stories to tell too.

Let me also add, "I remember riding by 94/48 as a buff back in the day". As "jkal" says the firehouse WAS actually the only place left on the street that hadn't been burned out. Same story for the police pct on Simpson St. (I think 94/48 due there too).

Those Glory Days and the stories that came out of them are GREAT. Thanks Dan, I mean Mr Gage, for getting it all started.

mack

Administrator
enginecap said:
Eddie Tegjian ( spelling) was the FF from Ladder 48 that I remember in that capacity.  I was a Johnny LT assigned to the 6th division and working the R group (94/48 and 71/55)  Eddie always treated me with respect as he did with every officer.  He took the irons almost every tour and he took ? the kid? with him on the can.  ?The kid? may have had 15 years on the job.  Eddie may have carried the Rabbit tool, but there?s no way he was going to use it.  He was a fireman?s fireman.  RIP Eddie

FIREFIGHTER EDWARD V. TIETJEN LADDER 48 November 25, 2003

Died as a result of WTC-related illness

mack

Administrator
FF Eddie Tietjen ? Deeply Missed! By EDDIE BROWN - Fire Lines 2006

"The year was 1982.  I graduated probie school along with another probie, Richie Straub, and we were assigned to Engine 94 in the Hunts Point section of the Bronx?vacant buildings, drug dens, prostitutes.  A life-long Bronx resident raised by my mother in an apartment, the youngest of seven children, my father passed away when I was nine months old. Nervously walking through the firehouse door for the first time, I didn?t know what to expect, since I was the first Firefighter in my family?s history. Richie and I were told to go to the kitchen where the guys were waiting for us, asking us everything you could imagine.  They had a lot of fun at our expense. During the next few months, we caught a lot of work.  Engine 94, Ladder 48 was a senior house.  The thing that amazed me the most was these guys were real professionals.  When it hit the fan, everyone stayed calm and did their job.  Guys like Bill Dillon, Dennis Golden, Dennis Pierce, Gene Hessler, J.P. Sullivan, Ed Scott, Ed Loehmann, Rod Downie, Big John Braunagel, Jim Henderson, Capt. Tom Collins, Capt. John Cunniff, and Eddie Tiejen.  We would go back to the firehouse and critique the job-everyone was in a good mood.  All these guys worked two jobs, raised families, and made me proud to be a Fireman. Eddie Tietjen, was THE guy who stood out in 48 Truck.  He was raised on 138th Street in the Bronx, and was a Vietnam veteran.  He came on the job in 1968 and was one of the best irons man in the job. Eddie was a Firefighter, a butcher, plumber, and a best friend when you were in need.  He and his wife Mary raised two great kids, Dennis and Nicole, in Mahopac.  Eddie passed away from lung cancer in November 2003 just when he was about to retire. One year Ladder 48 was having annual inspection.  The Chief of Battalion 3 was inspecting Eddie?s gear.  The Chief kept saying, ?Eddie!? looking down at the beat up boots Eddie was wearing. Eddie kept saying, ?but Chief, they?re your boots.? The Chief said, ?Eddie, I need new boots.? Eddie, all the member of Engine 94, Ladder 48, and the whole Battalion 3 are all better men for knowing you.  We miss you and we love you."