GLORY DAYS

E80/L23 - years ago, hanging on the kitchen wall was a clock - wind it up and it would play a certain song. For awhile, whenever 80 had the meal and the call went out "chow's on" - an engine guy would wind up the clock and as the truckies came streaming into the kitchen somebody would always say "23's theme song, playing again" - "Send in the Clowns" by Judy Collins. As I said, that went on for awhile, a short while and mysteriously the clock disappeared!

Which brings to mind another "clown" story:
1981 - L23 has 4 probies assigned from the latest class (Billy B., Richie L., Rich N., & Al R.) - doesn't take long for Aldo to develop aspirations of becoming a ladder co. chauffeur, almost always reserved for the most senior men in the company, but he has been granted the privilege to assist the chauffeur, in washing the rig every day tour he works.  He seems to enjoy the cleaning and quickly takes to the rig like it is his own, taking pride in how the truck looks - usually not a bad thing!

I don't think a year has gone by and Aldo is already asking about how it works for guys getting to go to chauffeur school. He's been told a number of times that he has quite a ways to go before his name will even be in the mix. One 9x6 tour Aldo is working and L23 is going out on BI (building inspection) - the dispatcher is doing a roll call of the units going out on inspection - the Lt. yells down to turn on the perko switch and answer when the dispatcher calls for L23. Aldo happily jumps up into the rig andinstead on just turning on the radio, he starts the rig up - sits there patiently waiting and answers when the dispatcher calls L23. Now all is well until Aldo, for some unknown reason, takes off the maxi-brake and the rig slowly starts rolling forward, picking up a little speed. Guys are yelling for Aldo to hit the brake, well, that doesn't happen and WHAM - what a sight , the rig going right through the closed apparatus door, across 139 St. and into the iron fence of 504 W. 139 St. Luckily, no pedestrians or vehicles were passing by the firehouse at that very moment or it could have been much more serious. I think Aldo had to have his hands pried off of the steering wheel.

Lucky enough to be working that day, I ran up to the 3rd floor, got my camera out and took a few pictures to preserve the historical moment. Many years later Aldo finally got his wish (LCC), long after L23s Capt. from '81 was gone. If ******* is who I thinkhe is, I may be mistaken, but he might have been the Manhattan boro commander at the time or maybe he was the commander when 80/23 had the mid '80s firehouse cellar fire, I do recall the boro commander visiting the house, but not for a moment of glory!

It may take awhile, but I'll find those pictures.

Great stories, there are a ton of stories out there! Thanks for your contributions to this site, I appreciate sharing these gems together and keeping them alive!...more, more, more!...

TOUGH TIMMY; Part 7
'RUBBER'

I just settled in to watching a little television in the E 88 kitchen after cleaning up from the evening meal when the Housewatchman yells back towards the kitchen that the boss wants to see me upstairs in his office. The boss is TT and he is sitting at his desk, then turns towards me when I enter, he  points to the ?can? on the floor next to his desk, the ?can? is a water pressure extinguisher we use for small fires that is kept in a compartment on the rig. Thoughts instantly shoot through my mind, ?did I forget to top it off, did I leave it somewhere?? TT begins to tell me his last night tour a certain ?Proby? firefighter kept waking him up during the middle of the night screaming in pain. At this time we only had one ?proby? and he happened to be a competitive weightlifter, he is big, powerful and strong, but sometimes he wakes up with muscle cramps and howls in pain, thus disturbing the boss.

TT has a plan:  When the Proby begins to howl, he wants ?me? to ?squirt him in the face? with the pressurized water! I?m stunned, ?What, are you crazy, Cap?, he?ll kill me!...plus I sleep in the kitchen? (we have two extra long couches there). TT swivels his chair back toward his desk, ?alright, if I have to do it, I?ll do it myself??

************

In TT?s world; if he did not particularly care for you, you were a ?RUBBER?, the most abhorrent monster possible. Whereas if you were a member of E 88 and transferred over to L 38 you were not as bad as a RUBBER but close to it and called a ?TURNCOAT?. TT never cursed, at least I never heard him. TT had his own version of formality if you wanted to transfer to a truck company. It was fine to transfer to another truck, any truck company in the world, in fact he would give you ?his blessing?. However, you couldn?t transfer across the floor to L 38, if you did you were labeled a ?TURNCOAT?. TT used those two words sparingly adding more significance and being careful not to ?wear out? the depiction of his target. ?RUBBER? and ?TURNCOAT? were withheld for certain people he was not too fond of.

************

At one of my retiree meetings I was speaking with another retired E 88 member who was a senior member when I arrived and worked the ?War Years? with TT, Bob Warner. Bob is an energetic hyped-up character with a treasure trove of funny stories. Bob got along very well with TT and he shared this story. He and TT were on the roof of a burnt out frame dwelling wetting down hotspots with the line. Suddenly, the frame gave way partially collapsing under both of them, Bob dropped the line, he and TT lunged onto the remaining side wall, feet dangling over a deep void below. To alert members of their serious predicament TT ordered Bob to throw his helmet to the street below indicating their ?Mayday?. Bob responded back, ?why mine?...throw your own helmet?. TT replied, ?if they see it?s the Captain?s helmet of 88, nobody will come!?. 

***********

TT organized the FDNY hockey league back in the 1960? and was still playing full contact hockey after 60 years old. TT loved hockey, he was a scrapper and quick with his hands, too. On occasion during hockey season TT would come into the firehouse sporting a new and obvious ?shiner?. It was not uncommon for him to get one every couple of months from rolling around on the ice; ?Look Johnny! some ?RUBBER? gave me a cheap shot, but I got him back pretty good too!? 

And if that was not enough, he took up skydiving, jumping every month or so. TT was a colorful character, at times he expressed a death wish and everyone who worked with him, knew it. TT would tell us young guns in the kitchen, and more than once, that he wanted to ?go out in a blaze of glory, in a vacant building?. The senior members would roll their eyes, us young?uns hearing this the first time would tentatively chuckle while looking at each other questioning his conviction.

When TT would come into the firehouse after a day parachuting I?d wisecrack; ?Bad day, eh? I?ll bet you?re a little upset that your ?chute opened?. He?d give me that big TT grin and we would both head to the Engine kitchen for a cup of tea.

Stay tuned, TT Part 8 ?TURNCOAT?...that?s me!      KMG-365

I was a Hockey Team member in the late 70?s and a couple of years into the 80?s. I met Timmy thru the Team and remained friends with him until his passing. I remember talking to him at a 911 funeral on Long Island. His daughter had just died and he was inconsolable. I told him we will all be together in the next life. He looked at me and said, how will she know it?s me. I loved Timmy as I did all the South BX Guys that broke me in. Yes we will all be together again. What a time in the Bronx...

PROFILE; B2 CHIEF JOE

B 2; BC Joe Egbert came to Sixth Avenue firehouse shortly after I became the L 5 LCC. Prior to him being assigned the 2nd Battalion the Chief was the Captain of E 214 from Hancock Street Brooklyn quartered with TL 111, otherwise known as ?The Nut House?.

Previously D 1 was quartered with E 24 and L 5 before relocating to L 20?s quarters on LaFayette Street. Chief Joe came about the same time B2 transitioned to E24/L5. I introduced myself to him in the kitchen the first day he arrived, he was upbeat and all smiles with his new assignment, we exchanged small talk over coffee. During our chat we discovered that we were from the same neck of the woods in Brooklyn. Instantly we became buddies, even to this day we keep in touch.

Chief Joe was a seasoned ?War Years? fireman assigned to the very busy L 103 in East New York, back when it had two sections. During his time at L 103 the company received one of the first newly issued  K-12 ?Partner Saws?.

On Sunday morning multi-unit drills when the Chief worked, he would gather the troops around, remove his white starched shirt, hang it in his battalion vehicle and ?roll the saw? to a piece of railroad tie to review safety procedures and demonstrate types of cuts.

The Chief was always in good spirits and was a wonderful storyteller. He was a straightforward boss and very confident in his decisions. He was cool under fire, nothing seemed to ruffle him even when conditions became hairy. But, you did not want to mistake his kindness for weakness, the Chief did not tolerate any insubordination or misconduct.

Sitting around the kitchen table of E 24 and L 5 after finishing dinner a young disgruntled firefighter assigned to E 24, who has a history of controlling his temper enters the kitchen from housewatch duty. For some unknown reason he is obviously angry and throws his dinner plate into the dishwasher loud enough to create a scene. Everyone in the kitchen turned to see what caused this disturbance. Chief Joe did not even look at the disgruntled firefighter, instead he glanced at the firefighters boss who was sitting to the Chiefs left and without picking his head up from his plate said to the Captain, ?perhaps you can find a spot for that young man for thirty days or so to cool down and reflect on his good fortune?. The firefighter was detailed to E 55 for thirty days on the next set of tours.

Chief Joe grew up in Far Rockaway near the water. At a young age he became a lifeguard and maintained his wiry and lean six foot lifeguard figure well into his later years swimming in the ocean and rough waters, he was in great shape.

I had a ton of respect for the Boss and I especially enjoyed being his aide for the tour. On this fall day, just after the nine o?clock roll call the tones activate and the computer voice alarm spits out; ?ENGINE / BATTALION?. We are assigned to Broadway and Houston Street for rubbish burning on the subway tracks. The ?rubbish on tracks? at this location is frequent, a nuisance and more importantly hazardous. Today it ends.

We are only eight blocks or so west from the location and we arrive very quickly. I park the Chevy Suburban on the east bound shoulder of Houston Street just before it intersects with Broadway, there is the entrance to the subway platform. The Chief puts on his white bell cap and heads down to the lower level with the assigned companies on the box. In a few minutes he calls me on the handi-talkie;

?B2 TO ADAM?  (almost every other officer and chief uses the more common phonetic term ?Alpha?. Chief Joe is actually correct according to the Communication Manual. He insisted that you respond accordingly with ?ADAM? or he immediately corrected you, on the spot.)

?ADAM; GO AHEAD CHIEF?, I reply
B2: ?HAVE AN MTA SUBWAY SUPERVISOR DISPATCHED TO THIS LOCATION FORTHWITH?.
B2 ADAM: ?10-4 CHIEF?. With that I contact the Manhattan Communications Office and relay the Chiefs message.

There is a short pause, then the following from the CO.

?MANHATTAN TO B2, COULD YOU PLEASE ADVISE THE REASON FOR THE SUPERVISOR REQUEST, K?.
?B2 TO MANHATTAN, STAND BY, K?.  I then relay the message from Manhattan to Chief Joe as to why the request for a MTA subway supervisor is warranted.

I receive ?his? response back in a calm voice and measured tone. The response is classic and I can?t wait to transmit it for all of Manhattan companies to hear.

?B2 To MANHATTAN, K?....?GO AHEAD B2?....
Now it?s my turn to deliver the news in a calm, measured tone: ?B2 CHIEF EGBERT REQUEST THE IMMEDIATE RESPONSE OF A SUPERVISOR BECAUSE NUMBER 1...HE?S THE CHIEF.  AND NUMBER 2...BECAUSE HE SAID SO, K?

There was a pause of all radio traffic, nothing but dead air. Then a simple ?10-4 B2, WE?LL NOTIFY?, I heard with a slight chuckle from the dispatchers voice.

Chief Joe retired just a few months before 9/11. The BC who took his spot perished. The Boss is now enjoying himself snow-birding between his homes in Florida and Delaware with his lovely wife.

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for reading.          KMG-365

Screenshot-2016-09-16-21-39-31.jpg

Capt Pat R (L5), Capt Tony V(E24), Capt. McC (?), Wizard and Batt 2 Commander Joe E, LCC L5 JohnnyGage (1998 NYC Halloween Parade, Greenwich Village)

I think Fellini May have been in quarters at the time of the basement fire....temp div 5 quarters?
I didn?t get to 80 until just after 9/11, but Al was pretty reverted by then though.....in fact I had never heard your story before.

The rig through the apparatus door I believe was  in 1982 - almost 20 years before you got there cap - most guys from that time were more than likely gone - Al R. wasn't the type of guy to be eager to tell that story - when I have a chance, I'll look for the pictures I took. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Matty Murtagh (RIP) was the D5 commander at the time, Fellini was still a BC then.

8060rock said:
E80/L23 - years ago, hanging on the kitchen wall was a clock - wind it up and it would play a certain song. For awhile, whenever 80 had the meal and the call went out "chow's on" - an engine guy would wind up the clock and as the truckies came streaming into the kitchen somebody would always say "23's theme song, playing again" - "Send in the Clowns" by Judy Collins. As I said, that went on for awhile, a short while and mysteriously the clock disappeared!

"8060rock", let us take you back to those Glory Days of Engine 80/Ladder 23. Actually as I knew it, a very busy time for that Harlem Firehouse.

But a time when those GREAT FIREHOUSE MEALs, cooked by the members of Engine Co 80 were ready to eat. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIqx5_w-dnk

Thank you Willy - still sounds the same after all these years - almost think I recognize those 3 dancing clowns - ohh, enginecap, the "Send in the Clowns" clock was long gone by the time you got there.

Also, thanks JohnnyG - another funny story - always a good read!

In regard to Reply # 85 above.....Joe E. as stated was a great guy & FF/FIRE OFFICER...a quick story...back on Carlton Ave (before SOC) there was no Covering Officer pool for the Rescues ....to fill a vacation or for the "R" group an Officer was chosen from the DV to fill the vacancy....we (R*2) were in the old 10*DV...Joe E. was a LT in 122 & was one of the Officers who filled in at R*2 often & was always Welcomed by us...one Sat day tour in early December Joe was working & i was driving him... on the first run of the day as we were on the way back to Qtrs he leaned over to me in the Cab & very quietly (almost a whisper) said to me i would like to stop somewhere today & purchase a "Grave Blanket" to place on my Parents Grave for Christmas....now in his low tone i think he said a "gray blanket" (like wool) i figure it is some tradition in his family to do this at Christmas ....i say to him you don't have to buy one ....you will have one by the end of the tour...he says an emphatic Thank You....at lunch he says please don't forget about the blanket...the afternoon is spent criss crossing  BKYN w/a job thrown in...around 1630 we are in the area of Greenwood Cemetery & he says "i could get a blanket around here" ...i am still thinking wool & again say "i got it dont worry"....another run or 2 & we are back at Qtrs around 1730 hrs...i go upstairs to the ENG supply locker & take a brand new gray wool blanket out & place it in a shopping bag...Joe is on the apparatus floor getting his gear off the Rig & i hand him the bag & i say "don't open it in Qtrs the ENG does not have to know" ....he walks to his car & opens it & comes back in glaring at me....he said something like this is not funny i wanted a blanket today...i am dumfounded because up until after that day i had never heard the term "Grave Blanket" & honestly thought he said "Gray Blanket"....now i feel bad & tell him i REALLY thought he said "Gray Blanket" .....lucky for me he knows me not to be a clown & drops the subject & leaves....he would be one of the last guys that i would do something like that on purpose to....first because he was a Friend & a Gentleman & second (or maybe first) because i would not want to pi$$ him off.

Danny & Jack, your Joe E stories are great.  I can hear him telling his Aide (Dan) why he wanted the MTA Supervisor, I chuckle thinking about it. I can also hear him trying to clear the stairway at a Job. For some reason, in brownstone firefighting, the stairs are packed. They (brownstones) are only 20x40 and 3-4 stories, don?t know how many Firemen you can fit in it. I had the honor of working in TL-111 for 5 years (89-94) and Crazy Joe E was the Captain of the Engine (214) during that time and was simply a great guy, good Fireman and an Excellent Fire Officer. We had a cast of characters in the NutHouse and strong leadership was imperative. He, along with Captain Frank P, in the Truck, did a nice job running our shop as there were several detractors. The NutHouse wasn?t an easy place to work in if you were faint of heart. I cooked most of the time I was working and Capt Joe was very appreciative of my efforts to put a good meal on the table. I also tried to keep the price around or under 5 bucks. Joe gave us life wisdom besides firematics because he was concerned about us as people. He was a very interesting man. When my daughter was born in 1991, he said to me, ?take care of that little girl?. He came to my promotion to LT in 1994 and I appreciate him taking the time to be there for a Truck member. I remember when he got promoted to BC and went downtown, don?t know if they were ready for him. It was a pleasure working with him and being part of the NutHouse. 

I sure enjoy reading these stories.

Just a little side note here and I've told a few retired FDNY guys this before.

Thirty or Forty years ago, I used to buff with a buddy of mine who is now 94 years old. His name is Ken Kelly and a few of the guys have met him a couple of years ago.

Kenny would always tell me, "Willy, if we ever get the chance, all we got to do is get these guys to sit down and talk - the beers are on us".

Glory Days and a few other topics here are just the kind of thing he was referring to. Just sit down and tell your stories. 

Thanks guys.

Kenny is still around, although he has some trouble with walking. But maybe over a Dunks Coffee, I'll read some of these stories to him. It'll make his day. He's gonna LOVE THEM.

WILLY... it was an Honor when you brought WW2 Veteran Ken Kelly to my home & later spending an evening with him on Bell Blvd.

TT  P 8
'TURNCOAT'

[ Que up ?Matador enters bull ring? music?]
A light tap on the open Engine office door then I braced myself, TT turned his head from his desk and greeted me with a smile,  ?Hey Cap, got a sec? I know you?re not going to like this, but I would like to transfer to 38?

As soon as those words left my mouth I knew I must be prepared for the wrath from holy hell, the clouds grew dark as TT slowly swiveled in his desk chair facing me standing in the office doorway. The smile is gone and now I see a bull, lowering his head and eyeballing me, he is almost getting ready to stamp his front foot into the dirt preparing to charge. Just then, a miraculous utterance from my dry mouth tamed the snorting beast, a perfect ?Hail Mary Pass!?

I have been working in E 88 for four fantastic years since being assigned from Proby School, and I?ve worked with  fabulous officers and members of the company. But I decided it was time for a change, time to move on, try my hand at truck work. It was exciting to think of the new opportunities that I could experience.

On the official FDNY transfer form there were six blank company options that you fill in and then submit. The selection is numbered in priority order to your preference. At that time I did not know many of the Brooklyn Truck Companies, but I had my eye on two; Tonka Truck L 124 and L 175 in East New York. I left the other four options blank.  I showed them to TT and asked what he thought and if he would sign his approval of my selection at the bottom of the form. Now TT had no objection of me going to a truck company, as long as it was not ?across the floor? to L 38. He was dead set against members who transferred across the floor from his company, his company was no ?revolving door?.

TT looked at my selection and seemed pleased, ?ah, good trucks Dan, you?ll like working in Brooklyn, yeah, good trucks, good luck? I remember him saying. With that he signs his name to my transfer application. Then TT mentions, ?why don?t you put in for Rescue 2?, I know Ray, I?ll give him a call?... I didn?t know what to think, I never considered R2, but that sounded good??Sure, thanks Cap?.

Years ago TT along with Captain Ray Downey, the Captain of R2 started the NYFD Hockey League and TT was good friends with Capt. D. ?I had a HOOK! dropped right into my lap... TT said he would speak to Capt D for me. Later that tour TT told me he just got off the phone and spoke with the Captain, even went so far and made an arrangement for me to have an interview with him. I thanked him, he was all smiles.

My paper was now submitted for the two trucks I selected in Brooklyn.  Still, I paid a visit to Rescue 2?s quarters on Bergen Street where the company recently moved into an old two story, single bay firehouse previously used by a salvage company. I introduced myself, the fireman on housewatch was very kind, and directed me to the stairs towards Captain D?s office.

Captain Downey was a cordial man with distinguished silver hair and a welcoming smile. I immediately felt relaxed and we had a pleasant conversation. I gave him a little of my background history; he was well aware of Engine 88 and Ladder 38, and I spoke about my experience working in Washington DCFD Engine 21 and Rescue 4 prior to being hired by the FDNY. Captain D seemed to like what he was hearing and he gave me two options; The first was he wanted me to experience at least two years in a ?good? truck company.

I told him about my transfer application I just submitted for the two Brooklyn truck companies. He liked my choices but he was surprised that I did not have L 38 on the transfer application?(could I tell him TT, his buddy, would have exploded?). His second option he suggested I take a scuba diving class. Doing so he would move my name from the middle of the pack of fifteen names or so, to two or three. I was pleased as punch, things were moving along well.

The Department Order with firefighter transfers is about to come out any day. I received a call from the ?Bronx Transfer Desk? at the firehouse, the woman handling the transfers is named Maryann and she proceeds to tell me that my overtime is ?too high? and will not be transferred to Brooklyn, there is policy that does not allow firemen to be transferred out of the Division and, therefore, create more overtime. Ergo, my transfer would be denied, squashed, kaput and I would have to wait at least another six months or so for the next firefighter transfer order. That meant re-submit another application taking my chances. Until Maryann suggests, ?there is a spot in Ladder 38, why don?t you go there??. I was surprised and jumped at the chance. Usually L 38?s roster is completely filled with troops with others standing by to get in. Maryann told me to modify my transfer request and ?just? add Ladder 38 as an option and the spot is yours. Easy peasy, right?....

[ resume matador music?]
The bull is ready to charge and his eyes blood red as he snorts, my tongue is tied and I?m dead in the water when I hear myself blurt ?But Cap, I don?t have any other choice if I am going to have a shot at Rescue 2?....with that ?Hail Mary? divine intervention takes over my voice and I hear myself continue??Captain Downey thinks Ladder 38 is a good truck to learn from?... TT stops in his tracks, his color returns to his face and a beam of light enters the room, TT questions; ?Ray said that? Ray said 38 is OK??...TT  has cooled down, sits back in his chair, looks me up and down and then calls me a ?TURNCOAT?. He is still a little miffed, but reluctantly allows me to transfer across the floor with a caveat;  he tells me my transfer to L 38 is ?only good for two years!?.

The following day the Department Transfer Order comes out  listing about a hundred or so  firemen transfers, including this one mid-page entry: FF JohnnyGage Engine 88 to Ladder 38. By the next set of tours, me and TT were amigos again...OLE!

Coming soon; Tough Timmy Epilogue

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed.  KMG-365

Getting the Boss out of retirement. Many mornings we would pick up coffee and rolls, pick up TT and spend a day at Ground Zero (photo; with other good E88 buddy Marty O.)

Tough Timmy chatting it up with out of town buffs after a day digging in the pit. TT loved buffs, he would talk forever with them and swap stories, for he was a NJ buff too!

(Side note; the little old ladies at the WTC Ground Zero Red Cross station fell in love with Timmy, he would go home from the Red Cross buffet loaded down with "carry-out" everytime we were down there digging.)

Johhny trade your SQ*51 patch for this ...... https://www.ebay.com/itm/FDNY-Ladder-38-patch/372660274410?hash=item56c44884ea:g:zvoAAOSwcnZcKRtg

^^^^^Hello JK, thanks for the heads up and posting...I was with LCC L38 Al M when he designed the L38 patch at the kitchen table, I was sitting right next to him. He started by taking a Maxwell house coffee can and making a circle, added the stars for our Lt who served with Patton in WW II....I have an original that I had sewn on my first denim jacket.

The L38 patch LCC Al M was made into an aerial sign and first used on this rig. After this decals were made for the next generation of L38 rigs.

I designed three patches during my time otj; The first was for E88. At the time 88 did not really have a patch that the members were happy about, it was a yellow patch with a lion riding a unicycle with 88 on its helmet. (I was told there was someone who was designing patches for companies, they all had the same theme, a cartoon character with a tool or nozzle...pretty dull and bland)... this came to mind, "Snarling Bronx Zoo Bear"...of course the troops also called it the "drooling bear". Anyway, they liked the idea and we had this for a period of time.

This was my sketch of the "Ant Farm", (notice the Maxwell house coffee can use again?). L 112 went through a period of time before "NO FRILLS" when we were known as the "Ant Farm"...I will give a detailed history in a  forthcoming "Profile" edition of Glory Days as to the relevance of this patch soon. Stand by!

This was my last and best patch! L5 at the time had a wimpy red apple with a 5 in the middle. During lunch our day crew thought up a rough sketch, we would like...however since Ladder 5 was also known as the "Phoenix", nobody actually knew what a Phoenix looked like! Any reference came from an encyclopedia (a what??)... Computer images back then were almost non-existent.

On BI one day tour, the troops were out inspecting buildings along 14th Street just west of 9th Avenue. Across from where we parked the rig we noticed a Harley Davidson sign hanging with a bird logo and decided it was going to be our "Phoenix". I  sketched the "Phoenix" image in the front seat of the rig on the back of a paper plate and made a rough design by the time the troops returned from BI. With two thumbs up approval from all we had 50 patches created...The patch is still used today, but it was modified by the new generation of troopers, rightfully so!

(Side note; If you saw the tv commercial years ago about the privately owned 9/11 Chevy Pick up truck that was used to transport the L5 members to Ground Zero, owned by a member, and heavily damaged on 9/11, but incredibly still ran!...the men removed the Ladder 5 sign from the destroyed aerial and fastened it to their new "transport vehicle"... The Ladder 5 sign had a depiction of the company patch. ...Chevy wanted to run the damaged but "Chevy tough" truck in an ad campaign. But they could not unless I signed a waiver for them to televise the patch I designed. I was happy to oblige.)

mack

Administrator
JohnnyGage said:
?. At the time 88 did not really have a patch that the members were happy about, it was a yellow patch with a lion riding a unicycle with 88 on its helmet. (I was told there was someone who was designing patches for companies, they all had the same theme, a cartoon character with a tool or nozzle...pretty dull and bland)...

Little side bar note...On the other thread concerning "War Year Lids"; concerning helmet inserts, I remembered a little gag we would pull on the probies coming off probation, or new firefighters who transferred into 88 that concerned the helmet frontpiece insert and the wrath of TT. We told the new troops to be extra careful mounting your "88" insert correctly, there was a very slight difference...God forbid you invert the 88's upside down, TT's biggest pet peeve. If TT saw that he felt it was the equivilant of hanging the American Flag upside down, a sign of company desecretion...and he would haul you off to the woodshed...it was fun to watch the troops show their helmet to us with new inserts;.."this is the right way, isn't it?...of course TT had zero concern...but why waste the moment and his reputation!

The correct way.

Ewww, that would be costly!...

?SNIPER FIRE?

I was hired the summer of 1982, for the most part the ?War Years? of unprecedented fire duty is over, but there was still some mopping up to do. Many neighborhoods of the city were still experiencing consistent fire duty, maybe not as often but steady. The next wave of us firefighters referred to this irregularity as ?Sniper Fire?.

Areas now decimated block by block by the sixties and seventies fire plague was still evident. Neighborhoods around Engine 88 and Ladder 38 still bore the scars of burnt out apartment houses and empty blocks filled with empty shells of homes and uninhabitable apartment houses. Ubiquitous abandoned lots loaded with broken appliances, automobiles, old plumbing fixtures and mountains of trash as far as the eye could see. The city attempted to keep trash out of lots by surrounding the lot with a six foot fence, some lots had apartment doors removed from the vacant building fashioned side by side to ring the lot. Instead of garbage strewn about the lot, it was now piled up against the fence and doors blocking sidewalks.

You could count on Vyse, Daly and Honeywell Avenues for vacant work from the endless blocks of empty apartment houses and the area near Bathgate Avenue had a mixture of vacants and occupied dwelling fires. In the ?Little Italy? holdout section we experienced good occupied work in many of the three story attached homes and you could expect a taxpayer fire along East Tremont Avenue or White Plains Road that usually occurred during the coldest nights.

I recall one night tour being detailed to E 48 on Webster Avenue where we responded to three ?All Hands? on Valentine Avenue alone. Valentine Avenue was packed with people from sidewalk to sidewalk, sitting on fire escapes and kids riding bikes in the street. Valentine Av was lined with tall apartment houses, double parked cars, hydrants opened gushing water, music blasting from car and apartment windows. There was plenty of lively activity in the area.

This night tour; Engine 48 was first due to an address on Valentine Ave (Between 183 St and 184 St) where we operated at a typical ?all hands fire?. Later that evening we turned out for what would be ?another? all hands job two buildings away from the first fire and on the same side of the street.  And would you believe shortly after that job we turned out again to Valentine Avenue for another all hands that turned into a second alarm in the very same building we had our first job in, but on another floor. Sporadic sniper fire was still alive!

I remember one particular night E 88 responded to over thirty runs before midnight! of course most were 10-92?s followed by a mish-mash of other calls including an ADV. (At a recent reunion, I ran into the covering boss of the engine that night tour, Lt. Jon M...he reminded me, in addition to all the runs we caught an ?all hands? job during that 15 hour tour).

************

'AIR MAIL'

You had to be ?heads up? for ?Air Mail?; Incoming objects that were thrown at you at any time.

I recall standing in the phone booth of L 38 returning from the quarters of E 45 and L 58, we were traveling north on Vyse Avenue when suddenly a loud bang came from a rock hitting the rig just in front of me. I poked my head out to see what made the noise and suddenly felt a heavy thud hit my chest knocking me back inside the compartment, I was hit by a second missile, thankfully the turnout coat absorbed most of the force. Having the can position I was not equipped with a handi-talkie and had to wait for the rig to stop at 180 Street to advise the officer and check out my chest. We slowly circled the block, but the villains were long gone.  I?m thankful the projectile did not hit me in the face.

I had a second close encounter while detailed to L 58. We were responding east on East Tremont Avenue just a few blocks from the firehouse, the rig was entering a curve turning slightly under the el at Boston Road where East Tremont. I was sitting on the turntable of the tower ladder on the officer side holding on, when just behind me I heard a loud ?thwack?. Looking back behind me I see an egg that is smeared alongside the tower ladder beam about two feet and head level.

Yes; perhaps the ?War Years? were over, but no one told the holdouts still in the jungle?.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!  KMG-365

While down there buffing and looking around, I would sometimes ask myself; "Am I really still in a civilized Country" ?

Dan, aka "JohnnyGage", talks about being on the job there in the 1980s. Anybody who was there would tell you things really weren't much better. The 1980s had brought in a new decade of fires that had just spread to other areas of the city.