Gold helmets

http://www.firstonscenephotos.com/FDNY/Queens/Queens-20172018/022518-St-Albans-All-Hands/i-25s9Qx4

In the picture there is a ADC with a gold colored helmet and it is not the first one I have scene.  Does anyone know why or how they get them gold other than painting them?

That helmet was white.  It is probably over 10 years old.  There was a batch from that age that yellowed over time.

Just another example of the substandard plastic crap forced on us.....bring back Leather & leave the plastic helmet to little kids during Fire Prevention events.

Have to disagree. My leather was not custom fit. After 5 years, I was able to bend the brim like it was a fadora. Leather might have the look, but I am very happy with what I have

Bulldog

Bulldog
68jk09 said:
Just another example of the substandard plastic crap forced on us.....bring back Leather & leave the plastic helmet to little kids during Fire Prevention events.
There are pros and cons to each type of helmet.  The letter that you say is so great also have problems with paint etc. when they need to be colored for certain positions.  I've used both leather and "plastic" and actually early on I even had an aluminum helmet!  I've loved and hated both the leather and plastic ones for various reasons.  As long as it keeps be safe I really don't care.

The ones I don't like however are the "European" style ones that have no brim on the back at all, with him water keeps running down your back.

If lids could talk...

helmetmontage.jpg

http://www.fdnysbravest.com/helmetmontage.jpg

Not sure but I think the gold color signifies an ADC or ABC, all Chief officers have white helmets but when acting out of title they where this helmet to let other incoming chief officers know. It may also be a Captain acting as a BC.

mac8146 said:
Not sure but I think the gold color signifies an ADC or ABC, all Chief officers have white helmets but when acting out of title they where this helmet to let other incoming chief officers know. It may also be a Captain acting as a BC.
I think he was asking about the yellowing of some older "originally White but now yellowed" plastic Helmets & speaking about the color of the Helmet shell not the Frontpiece ?.

fdny747 said:
http://www.firstonscenephotos.com/FDNY/Queens/Queens-20172018/022518-St-Albans-All-Hands/i-25s9Qx4

In the picture there is a ADC with a gold colored helmet and it is not the first one I have scene.  Does anyone know why or how they get them gold other than painting them?

Probably a graduate of Notre Dame and got the football guys to spray it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;) ;) ;)

BCR

There is another actor in that group of pictures with a white helmet. I?m gonna day that that helmet is old and the paint has faded from exposure. There is a lot of chiefs out there with helmets that have that yellowish color to them.