Harlem Boy Plunges Into Basement,

Great story about FDNY again - anyone know what companies were involved? - accident occurred in the vicinity of 125th St and Morningside Avenue at 143 Morningside Avenue

Harlem Boy Plunges Into Basement,

Grateful To Be Alive After Terrifying Fall

"I'd like to thank God for giving me another chance," said the plucky 10-year-old.

"I'd like to thank my father for risking his life, and I'd like to thank the [firefighters] for helping me."

NY Daily News 7/22/09

A 10-year-old Harlem boy took a terrifying plunge Tuesday after a sidewalk grate outside a vacant restaurant gave way, hurling him into an empty cellar.

Aboubaca Meite was running on Morningside Ave. a few steps ahead of his father when he stepped on the grate and shrieked as it collapsed, his family said.

"He was screaming 'Daddy, Daddy, I need help, don't leave me,' " recalled the boy's shaken father, Zuomana Meite, 54. "I couldn't believe it, I didn't know what to do."

The boy fell about 8 feet, hitting his head and landing awkwardly on his leg when he crashed onto the concrete under the former M&G's Soul Food restaurant.

Aboubaca only sprained his leg and was able to leave Harlem Hospital just hours after the 1:30 p.m. accident.

"It just suddenly fell," said Aboubaca, a fourth-grader at Public School 129. "It was dark in the hole [and] I was scared.

"I'm fine," he said as he left the hospital in a wheelchair. "But I'm still in pain."

Aboubaca was walking with his father and 12-year-old sister Aminata moments before he fell near 125th St., witnesses said.

"This little boy was running across it and the whole thing just gave away," said Pace Butler, superintendent of an adjacent building.

"His father jumped in to try and save him," said Butler, "but I told him, 'No, don't do it,' 'cause he could get hurt."

Seeing his son whimpering for help, Zuomana Meite leaped into the cellar but did not move his son for fear of injuring him further, he said.

"As a father, I had to go down," said Meite, a recently laid-off utility worker. "I was scared to pull him up."

A crowd of onlookers rushed to the grate and several called 911, officials said. Within minutes, firefighters arrived and took the child to the hospital.

"We were very lucky," said Meite, who gashed his leg when he jumped after his son. "If I weren't there, I don't know what would have happened."

"I'd like to thank God for giving me another chance," said the plucky 10-year-old. "I'd like to thank my father for risking his life, and I'd like to thank the [firefighters] for helping me."

Aboubaca will return to the hospital today for further treatment, his father said.

The building, at 143 Morningside Ave., is owned by Minnie Gadceden, according to Buildings Department records. Attempts to reach the owner were unsuccessful.

A Buildings spokesman said the department had not determined if the building would face any violations as a result of the accident.