Highest alarm?

B

Bigandy

in the past 50 years, what was the largest alarm attained by the FDNY? I know Greenpoint was ten, the Knickerbocker Fire, the 18 alarm in the St. George? I can't remember anything larger than that. Is there anything larger alarm or firewise?

Box's 8087 and 2033 had 12 alarms assigned prior to the first tower falling...I'm not sure if there is even a way to count "alarms" for 911 with the entire marine fleet, every special unit and volly rigs that ended up in lower Manhattan.... I imagine at least 25 alarms

wasnt there a fifth for west and vessey also?? and didnt brooklyn transmit a 3rd for box 1377 at the beginning?? and from articles i read westcher county had about 30 rigs at the scene, i think jersey city had a engine,ladder,rescue and a battalion chief on hand, newark responded, so yeah this could have been 30++++

B

Bigandy

Yeah I'm sandwiched in between Newark and Jersey City (Kearny). I do know that a lot of surrounding towns dispatched a lot of rigs. Newark and Jersey City did respond. I figured the Towers would be larger that 20 or maybe even thirty alarms. Would manpower suggest a greater alarm also, because I know departments such as North Hudson regional, Jersey City, Newark, Kearny etc, dispatched manpower right around the time of the second collapse. Anything other than the 9/11 in anyone's memory that would suggest something above 10 alarms?

Aside for when the City Burned to the ground twice, in modern times it would be the World Trade Center on Sept 11, 2001.  There where multiple boxes that where transmitted well beyond a 5th alarm.

69 METS said:
Other than the terrorist attacks on 9/11/2001, I believe the fire at the Hotel St. George in 1995 was the highest number of alarms transmitted for a single incident during my career (1981 - 2002).

http://stevespak.com/66-18-461.html

i was only 14 when that fire happened but i remember it because we had a hot blistering summer, extreme dry conditions and long island have several large brush fires as fdny sent mutual aid into long island. also obivously excluding 9/11, wasnt there a 7th or 8th alarm in the bronx in the months before the attacks maybe it was in the may - july time frame it was a row of 7 or 8 private houses going somewhere either in the 160's or the 140's?? rarley do you ever see anything over a fifthunless its another greenpoint type fire.

I remember the one next to Rescue One's old quarters which destroyed their Firehouse around '94 or '95? that I think went to 10 Alarms?

anesti said:
69 METS said:
Other than the terrorist attacks on 9/11/2001, I believe the fire at the Hotel St. George in 1995 was the highest number of alarms transmitted for a single incident during my career (1981 - 2002).

http://stevespak.com/66-18-461.html

i was only 14 when that fire happened but i remember it because we had a hot blistering summer, extreme dry conditions and long island have several large brush fires as fdny sent mutual aid into long island. also obivously excluding 9/11, wasnt there a 7th or 8th alarm in the bronx in the months before the attacks maybe it was in the may - july time frame it was a row of 7 or 8 private houses going somewhere either in the 160's or the 140's?? rarley do you ever see anything over a fifthunless its another greenpoint type fire.

On March 27th 2001, there was a 7 alarm blaze in a row of 16 attached frame dwellings in the Morrisania section of the Bronx at East 169 St. & College Ave.

The fire next to Rescue was 10 alarms, happened around 1985. They moved into the new house on 4-29-89

B

Bigandy

That sixth alarm brush fire took a few houses with it too correct?

rdm: that SI brush fire; i remember 6 alarms and didn't they assign a seperate box for 2 more alarms?

I have read about some of the old fires, like the Black Out of 1977, and the Great Knickerbocker and Bleecker Street fire and about the war years, does anybody have information or some good sites to get more information about those fires.

Years gone by they used boro calls after the 5th alarm transmitting higher alarms is fairly recent.

diablo_fire said:
I have read about some of the old fires, like the Black Out of 1977, and the Great Knickerbocker and Bleecker Street fire and about the war years, does anybody have information or some good sites to get more information about those fires.

ask 68jk09

Best site for that info ?........this one & FDNYrant......"Iron Lung forum"