MANS BEST FRIEND.

This is a video of a poem written by the late movie actor Jimmy Stewart about his dog named "Beau". He read it on the Johnny Carson show on July 28, 1981. Of course Johnny Carson is no longer with us as well.

Not only is it a well written poem that many of us can relate to, but it is also especially important to me because my wife, Helen, aka "Pumpkin" (who has since passed on too) and I had made our first and only trip to L.A. We were at this show.

It was a two purpose vacation. I would check out the L.A. City and County FDs during the day, while she would go to one of those famous L.A. area beaches. One evening we went to this show and Jimmy Stewart was the guest appearance.

Hear is the poem that Jimmy Stewart wrote about his dog named "Beau". Hopefully, they are together again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGnCIdHQH0

Last edited:
In Groton, Ct a community police dog is named after the late NYPD Detective Steven McDonald, who shared his message of forgiveness and making the most out of life.

This is the story of the Groton (CT) newest police dog named: "McDonald".

The link below also includes a video titled: "A Police Dog that is All Heart"

Last edited:
NYPD K-9s COLLECT GOODS FOR MILITARY K-9s......    https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-nypd-collects-supplies-for-overseas-military-canines-20191205-upyp4v5mo5hnzbg7njo4gtfaoq-story.html

DO 5 2020.... 2.6 HANDLING OF PETS/PET REMAINS AT FIRE & EMERGENCY SCENES
Members are reminded to comply with procedures outlined in AUC 361 titled "Handling of Pets/Pet Remains at Fire and Emergency Scenes", which states in part:
When encountering displaced pets/pet remains at the scene of a fire or emergency, the FDNY shall protect/secure
the pet with a responsible party (owner, neighbor, building representative, NYPD, etc.) if possible, and/or cover the pet remains and keep them out of view of the public and media. If reunification with the owner is not possible, the FDNY IC shall contact the Animal Care Center (ACC) through the respective Borough Dispatcher.

REST IN PEACE "BITS" THE TIN HOUSE PUP......    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-x1F16htN3/

Do firehouse dogs ever go on runs with their firehouse humans? Any examples?

Any more examples of FDNY firehouse dogs that go on runs with the guys? Especially from the 1990s and early 2000s, love to hear anything you got.

This is Nick the formerly abandoned pit bull adopted by the Newburgh, NY fire company, who goes on runs with the guys:

Back in the 1960's both Engine 39 and Engine 44 had beautiful Dalmatians. Smokey was at 39's and Sparky at 44's. I think both companies had fairly new C-Model Macks with topside booster reels and subway straps.
In one of those I wish I had a camera moments, I got to see those companies parked side by side at a job on Park Avenue. Each dog was standing in their rigs' hose beds and they were barking back and forth in a call and response fashion. Everyone on the street stopped to watch.
At that time E39/L16 were two separate houses. The housewatch told me that Smokey knew exactly what three rings on the department phone meant- a go! Once, he got so excited while running for the rig, he jumped onto the sidestep, hit the engine housing and broke his jaw.

I remember back in the late 80’s, and into the 90’s, E 218 had a dog I believe his name was Wolfe. This guy made all the runs 24/7, and they were and active company. I remember seeing him at jobs guarding the rig until the co. took up. That was one tough dog, it was enough to wear out the strongest.