Morning Pride Ben 2 Helmets...what is your opinion?

Looking for some information about and an assessment of the Morning Pride Ben 2 Helmet. Any and all information helpful. I have always used Cairns leathers and it's time for a new lid, but in this economy $500+ is a little unrealistic for a new helmet. Thanks in advance for any info or opinions. Would you recommend any certain helmet other then the Ben 2?

Thanks
RM4

Them plastic lids suck, I always have to replace the rubber edging and the eagle never stays put causing my front piece to flap in the breeze.  Spend the money and stay with leather brother.

I went from my original issued leather to a Cairns 1000,and like it alot. I demo'd a MP Benny and didn't like at all, was top heavy and bowl like. The leather is not what it used to be pre-impact cap, NFPA etc (it's now very heavy) The old leather form-fitted (pre-90'"s)were the best, but now not approved.From my experience of all 3, go with a Cairns 1000, 1010 or 1044......(my .02 cnts)

What year did they first start putting the plastic impact caps in the leathers, 1986 ?

The leather I'm replacing is a 1987 NY'er and has served greatly...It has the first generation impact cap. It's best days are behind it. Unfortunately...no helmet I've tried on even comes close to fitting the way I like. I guess my BIG ol' dome is spoiled and will have to adjust to change...just like everything else in the fire service! 

Thanks for the input...tl-ff! I'll keep that in mind. I guess if I keep replacing components...I will have dropped enough cash to pay for the leather from the get go!

68jk09 said:
F&%K the plastic keep or get a LEATHER regardless.

I had a Tee Shirt that said; "Leather Forever", with a picture of a leather helmet on it. I remember our dept got a deal on some "Plastic Wheel Chocks" called Metro somethings for helmets. Had a cheap plastic addition to it for purchase to hang a light on. That thing broke off at the first fire.

Long story short, we ended up putting in our contract for the city to buy us All new leather helmets after about two short years of using those Plastic Wheel Chocks.

I still have my fathers Leather Helmet. He used it fighting fires in Bridgeport, Ct for 31 years. Of course it's a little beat up, but I would bet that it could still get a few years of use. Of course it certainly doesn't meet NFPA standards now.  I fell off a ground ladder on Memorial Day, 1986. Put a good sized dent in the helmet, but sure saved my head. At the time, my helmet wasn't even approved because there was NO inner shell. I wonder what the results would have been if I was wearing that Cheap Plastic Metro.

I never had a problem with the Ben 2.  Sure its not with tradition as a leather is but it out performs the leathers in with its main feature......safety.  Not all Ben 2's have the rubber bumper, I have 2 Bens, one with, one without....go without, otherwise you'll just end up ripping it off anyway.  The main grip I do have with the Ben is that the frontpiece holder will snag and you'll lose your lid if its not strapped on, but a fix can be added to keep that from happening.  Its lighter, more comfortable then the new leathers, and will protect your head from impacts better.  You will also not have to spend money to refurb it.  Outside of work, the Ben 2 I have is 15 years old and been through a ringer and its holding up well.  I have only needed to replace the eyeshields twice, thats all. 

Cairns 1010 is a shoddy made plastic helemet.  If you drop it and over time it will develop chips on the outershell...the helmet's integrity is compromised and is no longer good.  They also tend to melt to high heat. 

The best leather ever made was the original N5A is not like the leathers of today.  The old ones were and art form....custom fitted, hand made....the best.  Not so much today..... 

vbcapt said:
What year did they first start putting the plastic impact caps in the leathers, 1986 ?

April '85 was the earliest date i've seen stamped on a tag inside a leather helmet with the beige colored impact liner.   The helmet belonged to one of the senior guys in my engine who is retired now.

Oh,  and the Ben II's SUCK in my opinion.......They don't stay on your head, even with the chin strap.    On the other hand, i've NEVER had a problem with my New Yorker staying on my head, even while wearing my facepiece.

Spend the extra money and stick with the leather.  You can find some good used ones from the late '80's/early '90's on Ebay.

JSG

Have seen the plastic (Ben II I think...FDNY Issued) fail twice from a ceiling falling.  The inner suspension detaches from the outer shell to absorb the impact.  You are then left in a hot room with nothing protecting your head but the plastic suspension.  The outer shell can not be reattached to the inner shell without some good light and time...niether of which these members had.  There were a few brothers with leather helmets that got hit by the same cieling.  They did not loose their lids.  So...I'll keep my job issued leather until they tell me its no good.  At that point my cheap firefighter side will trump my safety first attitude and plastic I will wear.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
when I was issued the Ben 2 , it never sat on my head good. After breaking the straps and some parts on the inside , had a new inside put in. its now a much better fit and you can tell the difference when compared to helmets made at the same time. also fdny has modified all the helmets to fix the eagle issue , the rubber trim does still suck.