My memorable moments in FDNY history.

I was brought up in a FDNY buffing family in Brooklyn.  My uncle Johnny Weisberger was Honorary Battalion Chief of the 44th Battalion, and rode out of Watkins Street.  With my father Lollie, uncles Arthur and Bill, cousins Arthur and Lenny, and we would strive to take in every major job in reasonable traveling time from our respective homes.  It was like a family gathering at every major multiple, and I was the 'junior buff' in the group.  When I became 16 years of age, I was issued my very own FDNY Fire Line Card - I had officially arrived!

A neighbor and good friend was Russell Brown, Marine Engineer on the old Engine 77 (Shame on me, I've forgotten the name).  He used to haul me here and there on interesting adventures, and he introduced me to Gerry Fitzpatrick, the pilot of the Firefighter, Engine Co. 57.  Fitz invited me to come visit him on the Fighter, and we arranged a date.  I arrived late in the afternoon one day, and after being given a personal tour of the boat, he told me that the evening radio test on the old department frequency of 1630 Kcs was coming due in a few minutes.  He asked if I was familiar with the test procedure, and when I answered in the affirmative, he asked if i'd like to give the test.  I was nervous as hell, but when the dispatcher called Fireboat Firefighter, Engine co. 57 for the test, I responded loud and clear " Fireboat Firefighter, Engine Co. 57 reads you OK ", and then "Firefighter off".  Whew, I was literally bouncing off the bulkheads with excitement.

At that moment, I was the voice of the Fighter.

I believe two of the boats assigned to Engine 77 were the Abram Hewitt and the Gaynor.

Thanks for the names.  Russ brought me to just about all the boats in the fleet, ten at that time, except E.51 in Staten Island, and E.232 in Brooklyn, if memory serves.  Also, I never boarded the old Tender Smoke, either.

I should have mentioned that my Uncle John, at the time of his passing, had reached the honorary rank of Assistant Chief of Department.  He was even mentioned in Gus Johnson's book, as a Buff's buff, if there ever was one.

Does anyone remember the Midnight Alarm fire extravanganza held by FDNY at Madison Square Garden in the late 40's or early 50's?  And the Circle Line boat trip around the city for the FDNY / UFA at the same time?

I have an original Midnight Alarm  poster dated 1938.....there were more than one performance & different posters .

I just dug out my souvenir program, dated from May 1949...  What better time than now to read thru it again.  That show I saw was unbelievable, something we'll never again see in New York.