My younger Buff years

mack

Administrator
Bill - Thanks for the great pictures.  It is great to look at the rigs and the creative unit logos, numbers, decorations and paint jobs.   

Thank You. I appreciate all the good words. But it's time for a little confession. "Bless me Father for I have sinned". Of those pictures that are marked "NFD 2004" Photos, I did NOT take about 10 of those photos. I believe they are photos # 1, 2 (?), 3, 4, 5, 7, 19, 20, 25, 31, and 45. I did do the rest however.

Way back when, I had a good friend who took those pictures using color slides, and we would trade. So that's how I got them. When I made up the disk for Jamie (r1SmokeEater)to post these for me, they were on the disk that I had sent him.

At any rate, I do hope you enjoy them. For me it brings back a lot of memories.

And Chief J.K., I've been told that you may have a special interest in that photo of Engine 41 (Lime green Rig). It is my understanding that you were the Officer to have a big part in forming "The Enhanced Engine 41". Actually the very beginning of Squad 41. When Enhanced Engine 41 was organized, it became a favorite area for me to hang out. It was a very busy area and easy to cover the South Bronx and Harlem. As Rescue 3 used to refer to it as "The Best of Both Worlds"

On April 23, 1987 the FDNY responded some 60 miles north east to Bridgeport, Ct. There they were joined with members of the Dade County and Fairfax County Fire Depts as the Urban Search and Rescue Teams were just being formed. All three had been requested by the Bridgeport Fire Dept because of the collpse a building under construction called L'Ambience. It was to be Two 13 story buildings using a construction method called "Lift Slab Construction". In a matter of minutes, one of the metal pins used to hold concrete slabs to be used as a floor, collapsed. This resulted in many workers trapped in this unfinished building. It was way beyond what the Bridgeport Fire Dept could handle. Within a short period of time, The FDNY, Dade County, Fairfax County, and Bridgeport Fire Fighters were all working together to locate any survivors under that pile.
 In the end, after 9 full days, 24 hours a day, a total of 28 workers were killed and 39 injuried. Shortly after this incident, The FDNY Urban Search and Rescue Team was formed called NYTF-1. It was also shortly after the Dade County and Fairfax County Fire Dept USAR Teams had returned from a Major Earthquake in Mexico City.
 And my brother George working his First Day as Lt on Bridgeport's Ladder 5, never thought he would end up being the First Due Ladder Co Officer responding to Bridgeport, Cts Worst Diseaster ever to hit that city. Or that he would be working side by side with the FDNY, Fairfax or Dade County Firefighters.
 If you like you can read alittle more about it on... http://www.ctfire-ems.com/showthread.php?t=12060&highlight=collapse+bridgeport&page=7 (Post # 67)

Willie D: I was working for a bank in Bridgeport on that day.  I was at lunch on upper Main Street when the call came in.  I heard Bridgeport PD send all available cars to the scene.  When I arrived, they were still pulling out survivors, but that did not last long.  Unbelievable scene of the collapse; many surrounding area FDs also responded, such as Fairfield FD.

John, I left work that day about 5 PM. Did the hour and a half ride, and when I got there, I couldn't believe seeing a FDNY Battalion Car parked next to Bridgeport's Squad 5. Of course we know recently that the FDNY has responded to Haiti, and New Orleans within the last few years. But I have to guess, up until this time (4/87) they had never gone this far (60 miles) before.

On 10/16/1955 FDNY sent mutual aid to Danbury, Connecticut to assist with serious flooding.  A total of 150 firemen and auxiliaries, 22 Ward LaFrance CD pumpers, and additional units such as Searchlight 23, GOU 12, Fieldcom, and busses of relief personnel responded.  Convoy assembled at Engine 89 quarters for the trip, which by my calculations is further than Bridgeport. (See WNYF January 1956)

Another long distance Mutual Aid was to the Great Baltimore Fire in 1904 (see WNYF 1966/4). Engine Companies 5, 7, 12, 13, 16, 26, 27, 31, 33, and H&L 5 responded.

19551016mutualaiddanbury.png

Thanks "811". I was never aware that the FDNY responded to anywhere in Connecticut, except Bridgeport. But as a 6 year old kid, shortly after those floods, we took a ride up to the Danbury area. It was our outing for the week. Maybe my father, who I referred to as "Smoke" (see: Our Role Model, in National), just might have wanted to see the FDNY in Action for himself.

And maybe my good friend, "Johnd248" was around when the FDNY responded to the Great Baltimore Fire, but I sure know I wasn't. Maybe John can elorborate. ???

Thanks "811", for taking the time to post those pictures and telling us that story.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
From what I remember reading, FDNY went to Baltimore via trains. But FDNY also went into Delaware County, NY at lease two times to assist with floodings. That area is part of our water supply system.

All the companies, including Ladder 5, that responded to the Feb. 8, 1904 Baltimore fire were double companies except Engine 7. Engine 7 was still at 49 Beekman St.(future home of E32 then later on E6) but they became a double compnay the following year (1905) when they moved into their present home, stately "Duane Manor".

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Now I need help with this -  before FDNY gave up the Super Pumper, I was told that the pumper & tender was being used by the U. S. NAVY at the sub base in Conn. Can any one add on to this?

Superpumper and Tender were officiallyplaced OOS on October 25, 1982. The Superpumper was stored at the Fire Academy but was loaned to the US Navy at Norfolk Va for a period of time but was later returned.

A little more SPS info. The tender was restored and is in a private collection in CA. the pumper had cosmetic restoration and is located at a fire museum in Mi. check out toyandfirereuckmuseum.org.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update, & your info is correct. Again Thanks for fulling in the blanks.

I was stationed at Langley AFB from 1980 to 1984.  NASA had a wave generator on the AF base in a building that was about 100 ft wide and 1/2 mile (yes, MILE) long.  It was on the water on one side. It was used to study simulated ocean waves.  One day in 1982 or 1983 I was walking around this building while getting some lunchtime exercise, I turned the corner of the building by the water and there, sitting in all of its glory, was the FDNY Super Pumper (the pump trailer only) with its Mack tractor.  I have no idea what the Air Force or NASA were doing with it or how long it was there, but there it was.  It was the only time I was ever up close and personal with it. (For those who don't know, Langley AFB is just across the harbor from Norfolk and the big Navy base there.)

there is probaly a better chance of me hitting the lottery then what i am going to ask. Is their any video anywhere on earth of these 2 in there heyday with the fdny responding to a job??? I can just imagine both engines of these thing roaring at the same time must have been deafening. Or an eyewitness account from someone here who has witnessed it responding. Still cant envision these 2 monsters rolling through some of these streets with the gridlock traffic and idiot drivers. 

mack said:

Superpumper is located in the Antique Toy and Firehouse Museum in Bay City, Michigan
http://www.toyandfiretruckmuseum.org/
They call it the "one and only the NYFD Superpumper".
It looks like the Supertender is privately owned and does parades in California.

Mack, its great to see that Super Pumper looking so good. If only it was in NYC. Thanks there "Raybrag" for the story of the FDNY Super Pumper after it retired from those Busy War Years. And Anesti, I'm with you about looking for a video of the Pumper and Tender Unit responding. Although I've seen it operate a few times. If I remember somewhere on this site a member reported his father was a Lieutenant assigned to it. I think it was Member "JJFlood" who's father that was.

Once Again, our good friend "Mikeindabronx" has added another page to his EXCELLENT PHOTO COLLECTION. This time he has added Page # 13 to his Famous Historic Collection. I am very Thankful that these photos have preserved the very busy days of the 1980s.
  So take a look back into History and see what it was like. These represent mostly the Bronx and Harlem. The photos tell similiar stories of several other neighborhoods throughout the City. And maybe some will recognize the FDNY Members that were a part of it.
  Thanks very much Mike.
                                      www.fdnysbravest.com   
  There is also a seperate section where Mike has some of the more recent jobs he has photographed.