My younger Buff years

There were 10 lime green Mack CF's that originally went to E10, 41, 42, 45, 46, 58, 85, 94, 236 & 277. Later on E73 & E263 received reassigned lime Macks. Engine 45, E46 and E10's [when it was reassigned to E4] were repainted white over red.

Thanks Guitarman314 for giving us the complete line up of the FDNY Lime Green Pumpers. Now I remember seeing the other ones too. Mr Guitarman314 is a friend who I can tell you, could certainly tell a lot more stories than I can. He grew up and lived there. And let me say, during those busy War Years, we heard some of the very Best Fire Dispatchers the world has known. They may not know me, But I sure remember them. Even the Brothers on the FDNY had great respect for these guys. One name, Warren Fuchs, Brooklyn Dispatcher 120. Another great was, I believe his name is Herb Eysser, Manhatten Dispatcher 124 (I think). And of course, George M......, Brooklyn Dispatcher 247. I believe he is still on the job but has a different number. (Please forgive me George, I"m not sure on the spelling of your last name). But anybody who heard you, knows who I"m talking about. I"m sure there were many other Greats too. But I remember you guys. Thanks for doing such a Great Job, and we sure loved listening to ya. (I"m sorry if I messed up on any of the names I spelled).
  I"m sure guys like Guitarman, Johnd248, and a few others who have been around for awhile, and heard you, would also agree.
  And Thanks Guitarman for helping us out with the FDNY Lime Green Pumpers. 

Willie D- George Munsch was # 247 and is currently #102, showing his seniority on the job.  A long time friend of mine.

Thanks John, I knew that you would know him. I hope he gets the message of what "us" buffs thought of him. My brother (georged4997), and I met him several years ago. A Great Guy and a Great Dispatcher.

At around 3 P.M. on a Sunday afternoon in the Summer of '69 I happened to be walking along E. 149th St. near St. Mary's Park when I saw a plume of smoke to the east. I could hear the sounds of sirens and airhorns in the distance so I start running towards it as Engine 41 and 41-2 pass me by. The fire was at Union Avenue & 151st St. and it involved a whole city block of mostly occupied 2-1/2 story frame buildings threatening two occupied 5-story brick tenements at the corners. I got there just as the 2nd alarm was called in and watched it go all the way to a 5th Alarm with special calls for Tower Ladders 14, 1 and the Super Pumper. This fire completely wiped out almost every house on Union and Tinton Avenues from 151st to 152nd Streets. By around 6 P.M. most of the buildings were leveled and the Super Pumper Tender tractor was uncoupled from its trailer and sent into the rubble where it resembled an army tank more than a fire truck as it maneuvered through the rubble firing water from its giant deck monitor. Ladders 17, 28, 31, 42 and 48 all had brand new 1968 and '69 American LaFrance rigs and there must've been 4 ladderpipes, one tower ladder, numerous master streams from Satellite 2, the Super Pumper Tender, portable stangs and multiversals in operation. Below is the correct [dated 8/69] box card for that incident showing both sections of E41 on the 1st alarm leaving normally 3rd due E83 home. BTW, back then Satellite 2 was quartered with E83 ;) so it didn't take long for it to get into this job.

Attachments

• box 2255.jpg
    box 2255.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 378
Yes, that amazes me that Eng 83 was not assigned even though a short distance away. For those who don"t know, Eng 83 is on 138th St, almost a straight shot up to 151st St where the fire was. Guitarman, I was not aware that they used to do that.
  And as far as the Super Tender Tractor section driving over rubble, to fight a fire with that Big Deck Gun mounted on it, I never saw that for myself, but I do remember seeing pictures of it. In fact one picture I think was in National Geographic Magazine. I remember it was a great color photo.
  And back in 1969 the only Tower Ladders were TL 1 and TL14. I guess those two units sure got a good work out in those days.

In those early tower ladder days most large outside fires were knocked down using ladderpipes and in the period just before this job and after the old water towers [1957-1969], there were not that many ladder companies equipped with ladderpipes. In fact, most wooden aerials didn't have ladderpipes and some metal aerials didn't have a ladderpipe at the fly ladder tip, only one mounted under the bed ladder. For some time until around 1964 Ladder 17 which was a busy company, only had a fixed ladderpipe under the bed ladder of its 1953 ALF 85 ft. aerial which meant that it only had a working height of 35 ft. Luckily, nearby companies like L29 & 42 had two ladderpipes. In the the Bronx, Ladders 32, 37, 46, 49, 50, 51 and 52 ran with 1955 FWD 75 ft. wooden aerials into the late 60's and even early 70's.

Came across this the other day.
              "War Years" FDNY by Anthony O'Brien
   Sit down now and I"ll tell you a story. A story of Urban Hero"s and Glory
   The story"s of a war so cruel and deranged, about the men who fought and the lives they"ve changed.
   But these soldiers of war fight for no foreign shore, a world half way around.
   For the soldiers are firefighters, their home is their battleground.
   No guns in their palms, no hate in their mind. Just the will to help everyone of every kind.

The Station sits still with the bay doors wide awake. The sounds of chaos are free from this place.
   The nine to fiver, the kids on the street, all mix in unison in the city like a beat.
   Then for a half a second, a sound stops all life. The single clang of a bell cuts the air like a knife.
   The house now shows bustle as the phone starts to ring, the watchman picks up with a mixed type of fling.
   "Engine, Truck - You"re Out" is the call suddenly told. the station erupts as a job soon unfolds.

Helmets and coats all burnt and battered, soon feel the warmth of those who matter.
   Lights on, siren goes, the sound is echoed like the sound of woes.
   The smell in the air is perfectly clear, wood, plaster and paint, that burns with great fear.
   The signs in the sky show greater dispare, getting closer now they see smoke in the air.
   "Ready Lads", the Cap calls out, For today he knows there is work, no doubt.

Turning the corner crowds gather fast, the block seems to turn to an ocean so fast.
   Rooftops become forts and tools of great carnage, off them comes molotov"s, bricks and garbage.
   "Why do they hate us" is sometimes the question, but the job goes on, no need for instruction.
   Two story brownstone, fully involved. All just another mystery to be solved.
   For here today, another arsonist will prevail.But for most, it"s just another Bronx Tale.

These men are divided yet all closely bonded. Working together as smooth as a feather.
   Some men work with water, others with steel. They ride different rigs but arrive with the same feel.

We"ll start with the Truckie, for he risks the most. Risking it all but never a boast.
   With iron in hand and can over shoulder, he mutters today "I"ll grow a bit bolder".
   Crawling down halls against searing heat, forces so great to knock a man off his feet.
   Cutting vents in the roof with tools and saw, so the others below can stretch without flaw.
   With tears from the smoke he stretches til done, knowing that life will not be lost on this run.

His partner the engineman fights with no ladder or can, out with water every ember that he can.
   The elements are extreme and dangerously near, he battles so close flames whisper in his ears.
   Telling and showing tall tales of fear, a fear those men know will soon be clear.
   The flames show no mercy, but the nozzles wet diminishing flames in the blink of an eye.
   He batters and beats and curses the devil, bringing it down past his very level.
   Fighting his way past each burning floor, until the flames can hurt no one, no more.
   The smoke soon clears blackness to white, and hero"s emerge after their fight.

Through the smoke on the street they appear one by one, the warmth on the street is perfect from the mid summer sun.
   The miles of hose could circle a state, twisting and turning like spaghetti on a plate.
   The pavement now covered from end to end, hoses,ash, and timber mix to blend.
   The story of this day will soon be forgotten, lost yet again and clearly forgotten.

The War Years dragged on in a city of enmies, fires that raged in the 60s and 70s.
   Consumed city blocks and families abroad, were saved by these hero's never thanked or applaud.
   For NewYorkers had it hard in those trying years, for their brothers in L.A. and D.C. shed the same tears.
   One calm day all had come to an end, but the firefighters looked on ready to defend.
                                                    By Anthony O"Brien

Around 1978 statics and neighborhoods were starting to change. The area west of Webster Ave was now starting to see the most activity. Engines 75 and 92 both had the top spots for Runs and Workers. Eng 75 was in the top spot with 7,666 runs, while Eng 92 was in the top spot for workers with 6,400 times they operated. Eng 75 had 6,284 workers and Eng 92 made 7,469 runs. Both shared the Number 1 and 2 spots.
  As this was happening Eng 82, which had been the busiest Engine for a long time dropped down to the number 30th spot for runs 5,143, and 22nd spot for workers with 4,467. This was still a huge amount of activity, but it was beginning to show how things were changing.
  I now focused my time around the area of Eng 92 and Lad 44. The streets there were very similar to what 82/31 had before being burnt out. I certainly was not disappointed. I had gone down there to see the FDNY in action and they didn"t let me down. Although I wasn"t catching the fires of a few years earlier, there was still plenty left for these West Bronx companies left to do. Besides, I could still cover the old neighborhood without too much trouble. But the area between 92/44 and 75/33, and any companies near was sure catching it. As time went on, the area of Morris Ave and Sheriden Ave were beginning to look just like what I had seen happen in the South Bronx. I believe a documentary came out called: "Fire in the apartment next door". It showed the arson on Davidson Ave which was right around the corner from Eng 75/Lad 33 and B19. I had mentioned earlier in "My Younger Buff Years" how I sat across the street from Eng 75s quarters and they never went out for about four hours. That was about ten years earlier. But now it was a completely different story.
  But now another trend was starting to appear. The arson was starting to spread to other smaller cities. As an example, Bridgeport, Ct saw a HUGE increase in Arson between 1978 and the early 90s. Many of the people that were moving from the Bronx, were moving to Bridgeport. It wasn"t unusual for me to catch 3 or 4 jobs in the Bronx, then on the way home catch a job in Bridgeport off I-95. New Haven was the same story.
  Its just amazing on how many fires there were in those days. No doubt today better building codes and better arson detection plays a big roll in cutting down the number of fires. I remember seeing a Bronx tenement being rehabbed on Morris Ave after it was completely burned out. It was the first time I had ever seen steel studs being used covered with sheetrock. No more wooden studs covered with lath boards and plaster. Recently I was looking for a motel in the Bronx area. I was amazed to find a Days Inn Motel in the South Bronx at Brook and 164 Sts. If I am correct, I believe this was once an old vacant factory. I caught several jobs in this building over the years. It was piled with mattresses, old tires, and rubbish. Usually they would only use 2 and 2. But that was in the War Years. Today it is a Days INN advertised as a motel close to Yankee Stadium.

After reading through this thread, one story of mine comes to mind from mid June 1970.  I had been riding with the same group on one of the Hunts Point companies.  Up till this time I had been following all of the Auxiliary rules and confining my fireground activities to the outside of the fire buildings.  We caught a 2nd alarm fire in a six story walk-up this day.  As usual, with the heavy volume of fire the company stretched a 2.5" line to the third floor and knocked down the fire in the front 2 apartments.  This time instead of sending one of the crew down for that 1.5" black rubber hose for the overhaul and washdown the officer radioed the MPO to have me bring it up to the floor.  Following orders I carried it up and dropped it off and was turning to leave when I was told that since I brought it up it was only fair that I help them with the work.  They said they wanted to see how I handled myself.  Well I had a blast in the first apartment being the backup man on the line as they each took turns handling the nozzle in the first apartment.  When they backed the line out to go to the second apartment I was told it was my turn to take the knob.  I was in all my glory, and it was a bit hotter then I expected without someone in front of me shielding the heat as the Truckee's opened up the walls and ceilings.  After the first 2 rooms I was told to go out to the hall and take a blow.  When we finally picked up the Lt. I was riding with told me from then on I was to stick with the company unless he tells me otherwise.  I was accepted by this crew from then on and was told I had an open invitation to spend full shifts with them any time they worked and was also told a few days later by the Captain that the same thing held for his group and that it was ok'd by the BC. 

Thank You svd385 for that story. Its Great !  Sounds like you"ve been around for awhile too. In those busy days, if you were an Auxiliary Firefighter and a decent guy, you would be accepted and that was a real "Honor". It was an education that NO college to this day can ever offer. I have two friends that were Auxiliary Firefighters. One with Eng 83 and of course, johnd248 with Eng 248. They"re good guys and they also have told me a few stories. Unfortunately when the fiscal crisis came in the mid seventies, and 200 guys got laid off, with the closing of several companies, all ended for the FDNY Auxiliary Firefighters.

On Page four of these "Younger Buff Stories" is a video sent to us by r1smokeater. It is Capt Ron Carritue of Ladder 112 talking about the Bushwick Firestorm Years. I would like to tell you a story about this FDNY Captain. I don"t know him, but I"d like to pass on what I read about him on another site.
  As I understand it he retired around March, 2009 after "40 Years" on the job. We know he grew up in that Bushwick section of Brooklyn. He spent his career fighting fires in that neighborhood. In 1973 he received a Medal from the FDNY for his actions. I"m not sure of the details, but I have to guess that it was "Above and Beyond".
  At another fire in Bushwick, he became aware of a firefighter in trouble. This was before the days of a FAST Co. Within about three minutes, he was dragging the firefighter out of the building. The only people aware of this were the other firefighters that were on the scene. No big fanfare, or bragging rights. According to these FDNY member stories, he"s always been a very humble person. Just doing his job.
  On one of those busy nights, he caught two working fires. Normally, for a busy Bushwick Ladder Co 112, that really wasn"t such Big News. But on that particular night, Capt Carritue made two separate rescues (Grabs), at those two separate fires. As I understand it, the firehouse has the newspaper article of the story on the Firehouse Wall. Two good grabs in one night.
  Capt Carritue spent his career in that same firehouse. But he was apparently known throughout the City, as many guys commented on his retirement. He had a reputation as a true gentleman, a good fireman, and a great officier. To leave a department of the size of FDNY with such a good reputation, is certainly an accomplishment. Capt Carritue has certainly earned his retirement. We wish him all the best and an enjoyable retirement.
  The only request Capt Carritue has, "would we all keep an eye open for his bicycle which was stolen from him as a kid in Bushwick". And hard to believe but as I understand it, the Capt of Eng 277, in the same house, actually has more time on the job than Capt Carritue"s 40 years.
  Thank You Capt Carritue for your years of service to the Citizens of New York. And Best Wishes on your retirement.

In 1978/79 the areas of Battalions 17, and 19 were now the hot spots. Engs 42, 43, 48, 68, 75, 92, and Lads 33, 44, 49, and 56 were right up there usually in the top ten for Runs and Workers. Yes, there were alot of other companies like E96, or 290, doing plenty of Running. But for me, it seemed like the best area to hang out in. It wasn"t that big of an area to cover in square miles, and I could still go to places like E82s area, or futher south like 60/17 or 83/29 area. And it wasn"t too difficult to get to upper Harlem or Washington Heights. In fact, at this time Rescue 3 was in the quarters of Eng 93/Lad 45/ Batt 13, on 181st St. Sometimes Rescue 3 would be able to get in faster than the 2nd or 3rd due engines in The Bronx.
  The amount of fires were down from the Peak War Years, but there was still a good chance of catching at least one or two good jobs in this area. I would sometimes sit on Morris Ave, about two blocks up from the 92/44s firehouse. I can"t tell you how many times I would see that Eng 92 go out. It was mostly "ERS-no contact". That meant that somebody pushed the Fire Button on the street corner Emergency Reporting Box, but when the dispatcher answered "Where"s the Fire" ? He"d get no answer and have to send out the nearest Engine. I would see "92" go out and come back. Go out again, and come back, over and over again. And it certainly wasn"t just "92" doing it. Alot of others were facing the same problem. Anywhere there were the fairly new ERS Boxes. At that time they were NOT dispatched to EMS calls.
  Of course, there came the moments where "The House would go", Eng 92, Lad 44 and Batt 17. As they were leaving the firehouse I would hear: "Bronx Box ...., at .......Ave and .....St. Batt 17 we"ve filled it out, sounds like you"re going to work". If it was a job, finding a place to park and not blocking a hydrant or blocking the rigs from coming in was my biggest chore. If I had a few buddies with me I"d usually drop them off while I"d go to park the car. If I was lucky, I"d find a place right away. That was Great because as I"d be running down the street, I"d see the Tower Ladder going up, The Aerial Ladder going to the roof, Other rigs coming in with the sirens and air horns blasting, the saws starting up, glass breaking and the fireground handie talkie non stop as the attack began. If it was maybe one apartment, it wasn"t long before the shots of water was knocking the fire down. The dark smoke would quickly turn to white smoke. And usually, in about ten minutes, the fire would be knocked down. And that didn"t matter if it was the first floor or sixth floor. "These guys were good'. In a half hour or so, they were repacking the hose on the street.
  I have seen this repeated hundreds of times. Its the same today. If you plan on buffing the FDNY, you better know the area and be able to get to the job pretty quick. Because unless it goes to a really big job, the fire will be put out, the rigs will be back in quarters, and the streets will be right back to normal as if nothing happened.

Interesting that nfd2004 singles out the Bronx for fire duty in 1979.  In runs for that year, 290, 332, 236, and 248 were all in the top ten in the city.  In workers in 1979, 290, 332, 283, 225, and 231 were all in the top ten.  As you know, all of these companies are in Brooklyn, the borough of fire.  The numbers for ladder companies are even more telling; they are dominated by Brooklyn ladder companies for both runs and workers, with little representation from Bronx trucks.

There is an almost even proportion of engines and ladders in the Bronx and Manhattan while Brooklyn has many more engines to ladders. Thus, Brooklyn ladders get more work. For example, L-111 has E214, 217, 222, 227 & 235 to work with. 

I probadly shouldn"t have singled out those Bronx Companies in that year. "Around 1978/79", I did spend most of my buffing time in that area of the Bronx. But I would still go to Brooklyn on occasions, just that for me, going to the Bronx was more convenient for being that I lived in Connecticut. Yes, in those years, I did spend time in the areas of E290, 332, 227, 231, 234, 214, 277 and 271. I know the area well and those are also some working outfits, including the trucks they are with. I certainly don"t mean to take away from those companies, and Yes, my very old, sometimes senile, friend, johnd248, is absolutely correct.
  For the next 20 years or so, I spent "MOST" of my buffing time in the area of the Bronx I was referring too. Every year, I would check the Runs and Workers, and on the average, the Best place for me to buff would be the 17th and 19th battalion areas.
  And to be more honest, being a somewhat "Cheap Character", the extra ride to Brooklyn meant more gas money, and the tolls crossing the bridges. ( I think they are $5.00 each way now-how do those New Yorkers do it ??? ). Or it meant driving down the FDR and crossing the Williamsburg, or Manhatten Bridge, dealing with a lot of traffic.
  As far as being a "Cheap Character", just check with my brother known as "georged4997" and he"ll tell you. Or check with my buddy "johnd248", I think the last time I saw him, we got into a dispute over who would pay for the Dunkin Donuts Coffee. Finally, we were ALL; myself, georged4997, and johnd248, escorted out of the business establishment by store security.
    "All right, now the World knows".

During these years, there were very few manned special units, except for the Rescues. And at that time, there was NO Rescue 5. Other than that, maybe just Field Comm. Maybe there was a few more, but if so, I forget now just what. There were no Squad Companies, Tac Support Units, Rac Units, or Haz Mat. 
  I"d say in the early 80s, Haz Mat was becoming a big concern in alot of the larger cities. FDNY was no exception. It was decided that Rescue 4 members would be trained in Haz Mat work, and they started with having a second piece assigned to them. There was no separate Haz Mat Unit at the time. I think the first piece that they got was a former model city"s salvage truck. It was very similar at the time to what the former Fire Patrol Units were using. I remember Salvage 3 was in the Bronx and they operated out of the old Eng 48 Quarters on Webster Ave. The Model City"s Units would take care of Salvage work in Residential Buildings, while the Fire Patrol would take care of Salvage work in commerical buildings.
  So Rescue 4 became the first company to get involved with Haz Mat incidents. They would be special called with the second piece City wide. Later on, a Mack CF Pumper was converted to replace that former Salvage truck. That was the beginning before Haz Mat Co 1.
  Later Rescue 3 became the first company to set up a collapse unit. An older Mack "R" model became Rescue 3s second piece as its first collapse unit.
  Rescue 5 was born from another older Mack "R" model. It would be located in Staten Island with Eng 160. I remember driving out to that quarters and it was the first time I had ever gone that far out to Staten Island. It sure was a long ride for me. But this Mack "R" had been painted the new Red and White Color scheme and I sure wanted to get a picture of it. Of course the guys were Great and there was a parking lot across the street from the firehouse and they positioned the truck just the way I wanted it. Well that goes back a few years now. "I"m sure I was at least 50 lbs lighter then, and I sure had alot more hair too. People then thought I looked a lot more like Robert Redford, but now I look a lot more like the late Jackie Gleason, who played a Brooklyn Bus Driver in the Honeymooners Series".
  So was it that Rescue 5 and Haz Mat 1 was born. If anybody has those dates, I"d be interested in it. (Guitarman314, or Johnd248, can you help me out ?  ).

Rescue 5 was originally activated on May 16, 1948, but was disbanded June 1, 1962. It was reactivated Aug 20, 1984.

See http://www.nyfd.com/rescue/rescue_5.html

Hazmat 1 was formed in 1984.