My younger Buff years

Great stories......I am new to this site and enjoy the stories. Did some buffing myself in the 1980's. Yea, I realize I am not as seasoned as you "older guys" however, I am "hooked" as nfd put it. I especially like to hear about the "war years" and have had the privelidge to talk to DC Curly of Div. 6 (back in the day)!!  Please tells us more !!!

Just as a point of interest, I think when DC Curly of the Sixth Division retired, he became Chief of the U.S. Sub Base Fire Dept in Groton, Ct. From what I"ve been told, he always had a few stories to tell.
  One area that was really hopping in those busy War Years was the Lower East Side. Ave "A", "B", "C" etc. Rivington, Forsyte, Stanton. It was a smaller version of The South Bronx. It had the same burnt out buildings, abandoned cars, rubbish fires, and False Alarms as those busy Bronx Companies. Only this was confined to about a one square mile area. Those guys on E28/L11, E17/L18, and Battalon 4 sure got their share of the workload. I remember taking in a job there and it was the same type six brick MDs as in the Bronx. It was a good smokey job. The place really needed to be vented. This Big Barrel chested Battalion Chief, with his big thick handle bar mustache, wearing un-laced combat boots, a twisted white helmet, and wide open turn out coat gave me a little nod. Then over the handie talkie he says; "Come on guys, I don"t hear enough glass breaking". He then gave me a wink as to say; "Watch this". And then the glass came raining down. A couple of quick squirts of water and in about 5 minutes the fire was out. I"d have to guess it was maybe one or two apartments on one of the upper floors. I don"t think it even went to an all hands. Probadly 2 and 2, and the chief. Fighting fires was just so routine for these busy companies throughout the city. It amazes me to this day, now 35-40 years later, just how much fire these guys would put out without even thinking of getting more help.
  I was only a buff who was there maybe once a week. There were other buffs who saw this stuff just about everyday. I sit back and sometimes think to myself, I sure was born under the right stars. For anybody who had any interest in the Fire Dept, there was no place better to be. Just in my part time status, I probadly saw hundreds of fires. And there were Firefighters who spent half or three quarters of their entire career, fighting these fires during this so-called "War Years". They never knew what it was like to go to work in the firehouse and "NOT" Fight Fires. They NEVER had a quiet night. Not once a week, not once a month, "NEVER" !!!! That"s why I have to say, that They "ARE",,,, "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters" the World has ever seen.

I have been reading these stories from the begining of this thread. I would like to thank all of you guys for telling these stories, they are great! I only wish I was born 10 years earlier to be able to witness some these events. I can remember riding in the car to head upstate on the Deegan and seeing at least 6 or 7 columns of smoke rising over the Bronx on a weekend morning. To think about that day in and day out every day is amazing.

I spoke to a retired member who worked in the South Bronx in the late 60's, 70's and 80's. I asked him "did you EVER work a tour without going to a fire?" He looked at me and said "NO!! NEVER! It wouldn't be worth going to work if I didn't go to a fire."

Kidfrmqns, Well, Let me say Thank You to you too. That"s a GREAT Story. Yes, those guys just wanted to go to work and fight those fires. I could remember how the morale was extremely high, and they were such a tight group. They just took so much pride in what they did. Strange, but I have been in touch with a few of these guys from those busy times. They have been retired now for several years, but they Still talk about how much they loved it. They went to work in area"s that were probadly the worst conditions that existed in the United States. I think I"ve said before that the area was sometimes referred to as "A Third World Country". The conditions there were terrible. Huge piles of rubbish, rats, abandoned buildings, abandoned burnt out cars. Yet, these guys loved being there.
    A little story of my own. My wife and I had gone down to Washington, D.C. for a little vacation. Of course D.C. has its share of tough area"s. We made our vacation a combination tourism and buff trip. My wife decided she would rather go hanging around with me, then stay at the hotel pool. Just before leaving, I stopped at a Firehouse in a real tough area of D.C. to get a rig photo. The guys of course were great to us. We stayed there about two hours before we started to leave to go home. Believe me, this was one NASTY Neighborhood. My wife really didn"t have too much difficulty with that because she grew up in a pretty tough area in Bridgeport, Ct.
    As we were approaching the NY area, a large lit sign said: "Traffic Delays up to two hours ahead". No problem for me, I knew my way through the South Bronx streets, so we got off and proceeded to skip this long delay. It was a hot summer evening, and the streets were packed with people. It was like a big party was going on. I remember seeing a ladder company going through with air horns blasting, and siren wailing, as we were getting off the highway. We had gone about six or eight blocks and my wife suddenly said to me : "GET ME OUT OF HERE" !!! We had just left one of the Worst Neighborhoods in Washington, D.C. a few hours earlier, and she apparently had no problem dealing with that. But these South Bronx streets were a different story. It was completely "out of control". Just another routine evening in The South Bronx.

I see that DC Curly's name mentioned above.  I recall one evening Chief Curly came into our (E82/L31) quarters. With the chief was a photographer from Life Magazine. This was 1974 or 75. Dennis Smith's book "Report From Engine 82" had been out for several months and was on the best seller list. The photographer had permission from downtown to take photo's of the members and quarters for a human interest spread in the magazine. As we lined up for roll call a first due box came in for both companies. We responded and the chief and photographer followed in the division car. An engine returning from a box in the vicinity saw the smoke from the fire and responded, they came in first. As we arrived I saw that the fire building was a 5 story occupied tenement. There was a front fire escape serving the two middle windows of the building. There were two windows to each side of the fire escape window. On the top floor exposure 2 side of the building a woman was dangling a small child out the window in front of her. Heavy smoke was coming from all 3 apartment windows with some fire at the fire escape window. The engine was stretching. As the aerial went up it would elevate and extend, but was jamming on rotation. I told my guys to get the net off our rig (only time in 37 years that I went to use the life net). A big problem was a front cellar entrance protected by a 6 foot metal picket fence directly under the fire apartments line. If the woman threw the child and it didn't clear the fence the child would be impaled, as would she if/when she jumped. Several hundred people were in the street, half yelling for her to throw the child the other half yelling for her to hold on. FF Tom Neary and his officer Lt. Butler entered the fire building and went to the top floor. Several other members of 31 went for their roof rope. The apartment was fully involved except for the corner of the end room in which the mother and child were in. The fire was out the apartment door into the public hallway. Neary and Butler without a mask or at that time bunker gear entered the apartment crawling. In the street I could see that the mother was about to throw the child, my net was not there yet. This whole sequence took about as long as it takes to read it. Suddenly a firefighter was seen to one side of the woman shielding her,it was Neary. A moment later Butler was on the other side. The tip of the aerial was now about 3 feet from the window. Butler took the child and dove onto the aerial. Neary then threw the woman onto the aerial. Neary then dove onto the aerial head first, his turnout coat was smoldering and his pants were on fire. All 4 went to the hospital with Butler and Neary placed on medical leave. Neary was out for a number of months with the leg burns. Both Butler and Neary received Class 1 awards by the FDNY. Class 1 awards are only given for rescues made under extreme danger. Neary received the FDNY's highest medal that year, the Bennett Medal, which is only given for a Class 1 rescue. That year with 12,000 FDNY members only 43 medals were presented, L31 received 4 of them. I went over to the Life Photographer after it was over and asked him did he get any shots of the rescue for the magazine, they would have been some pictures. He said he was so taken by what he was witnessing that he hadn't taken one picture, a shame.

Neary was promoted to Lt. a few years later and assigned to a ladder company in Harlem. Another fire and another child trapped in a burning apartment with a fully involved room blocking her rescue. Neary took a door from an adjoining apartment and laid on the floor and using the door as a shield slid across the room to the room where the child was trapped. Again no mask or bunker gear. He rescued the child and even though he was wearing gloves his hands were badly burned requiring again many months of medical leave. Neary received another Class 1 award and the Bennett Medal. He is only one or two of FDNY members in its history to recieve two Bennett Medals. Neary retired several years ago with the rank of Deputy Chief. 

Just one story of just one tour during that time.

On a lighter note...  In the late 1960's most all the Brooklyn auxiliaries got their training, as did I, out of the quarters of E280 (by Lt. Ben Poholsky) and in Richmond out of E159 (by Lt. Chris Caccese).  I once managed to horn in on some field training in Richmond and can remember us being in quarters of E159 one Saturday morning with a C.D. pumper.  E159 was out somewhere when a phone alarm came over the Voice Alarm for a house fire in their 1st due area.  We persuaded (begged) Lt. Caccese to let us respond with the C.D. pumper, which we did.  We were 1st to arrive, saw smoke, stretched a 2.5" line and put water on a fire on the 2nd floor of a vacant 2 story frame.  Boy, we young buffs had a blast and were really charged up for the rest of the day.  But the real firemen were not happy with us when they showed up.  Somehow the words "get the **** out of here" come to mind.   ;D

My God, I read these stories and I get the chills. WOW had to be amazing to see in the flesh and blood.

The FDNY had a very tough day back in April 20 1963.  Staten Island had several large brush fires operating and Brooklyn companies were flocking to SI.  I was not officially riding with Engine 248 then but I helped out at fires from time to time.  E248 was directed to relocate to SI and got three blocks from quarters to see heavy smoke pushing out the basement of a 6 brick OMD on the corner of Church and Ocean Avenues.  They called in the fire and went to work; the fire escalated to a fifth alarm and I helped pick up hose when the fire was under control.  Arriving back home ( four blocks from the fire), I heard on the fire radio of a fire at Linden Blvd. and Rockaway Avenue.  The first arriving engine was Engine 240 who had been relocated to Engine 257.  They were met by a huge fire condition with initial fire in an outdoor lumber yard and an auto salvage yard.  The salvage yard contained acetylene tanks which would heat up, take off like rockets, and start additional fire whereever they landed.  It was total chaos.  I grabbed a pair of work gloves (I didn't have turnout gear yet), hopped a city bus and rode out to the scene.  When I got there, the fire was in two city blocks and burning everything in sight.  There were limited companies available due to all of the other fire duty going on at the same time.  I ended up stretching several lines to buildings along with other auxiliaries and buffs.  Every once in a while, you would hear a noise and another tank would lift off.  Queens companies started to flow into the area and the fire was eventually brought under control.  I was wiped and couldn't wait to get home.
I just checked my supply of WNYF magazines and the second issue of 1963 has a good picture of this fire.  I have WNYFs going back to 1955.

Info on April 20, 1963. Over 2000 calls were received in the 5 dispatch centers. While Staten Island was burning out of control there were other serious fires occurring in the city especally Brooklyn. On arrival at a fire scene that was totally out of control the chief officer asked  for a full fifth alarm assignment. In Bayonne New Jersey a large plastics plant was totally destroyed withno outside help available. At one time 80 engine companies were engaged in either fire supression or covering vacant houses. All engine companies but one were engaged in fighting simultaneous fires in one of the greatest tests in FDNY history. The following extra-alarms were transmitted in one four hour period. 11:47 33-8183 (Queens). 11:50 33-2163 (SI). 11:54 44-1543 (Brook). 12:01 33-1971 (Brook), 12:13 44-4026 (SI),12:30 55-4151 (SI), 12:50 55-1657 (Brook), 1:28 55-1703 (Brook), 1:50 33-100 (SI), 2:43 44-2952 (Bronx), 3:15 55-2125 (Brook) Info from Gus Johnsons  Fire buff handbook :)

At the fire on Linden and Rockaway, Brooklyn 55-2125, at one point, the Brooklyn dispatcher was so desperate for engine companies, he said: "Is any engine company in Brooklyn available?"  The first response was Engine 215, long since disbanded, from northern Greenpoint; they were told to take in the fire.  I can only imagine how it took to respond.

The same day, Squad 3 in Bed-Stuy came upon a fully involved dwelling somewhere around Lexington Avenue.  Squads back then drove panel trucks resembling bread delivery trucks; they had manpower and tools, but no pumps.  After requesting the box, the Squad was heard about half an hour later: "Squad 3 to Brooklyn, is anyone responding to this fire?"  The dispatcher said he was trying to find some available companies.

That day I was hanging out in 280/132 (I hadn't begun to ride yet) and it was the first time I ever heard a dispatcher say "...are there any available units in the 15th, 12th or 10th divisions?"

The answer was silence indicating that no one was available. The picture in the 1963 WNYF is E-280 arriving at the job. 280 had been operating at Box 1703 and was reassigned to 2125.

Never heard so many bells. The dispatchers did a great job of maintaining order and the troops did a great job of putting out fire.

Reading about some of these stories sure brings back memories. I can remember hearing all the time, dispatchers saying things like: "Any trucks available in the Sixth Division", "Is there any Engine Company available in the Eleventh Division", or Any Engine Company available in the Bronx". This actually would happen quite often. And it didn"t matter if it was a weekend, or weekday, 1 AM or 1 PM. Generally speaking though, I think the nights were busier. But that"s just my own guess. It really didn"t matter what time of day or night it was.
   When I first started writing these stories, it was supposed to be about "My" Younger Buffing Days with the FDNY. But I soon realized while doing this, that the story really isn"t about "me". It really is about those Great Group of Firefighters who risked their lives every single day of the year, with "NO Let Up" to put those fires out and protect the people of that City. We need to remember what they did for that City during the busiest time in World History for fires. And we need to also remember those Fire Dispatchers during those busy years. They had no computers, and everything had to be done by hand. They had to decide which fire was the highest priority, answer each and every call, and somehow find the closest companies out there to send. For anybody who has ever done any fire dispatching, you know how it is when the phones light up for just "ONE" fire. Some of these places would see several in the same neighborhood.
   These people that did these jobs sure have my "HIGHEST RESPECT". And they earned it too.

The old bell system: in my name at Engine 248, our primary boxes were in the 1000, 1500, 2400, and 3700 ranges.  We also had a few 2300, 3800, and 3900 boxes as well.  A zero was represented by ten bells.  We would sit, waiting for a box, and then the bell would ring; there was a selective alarm system so that most of the time you only heard boxes in your second alarm area.  If the first number was a one, we would wait to see if the second was a five or a ten.  If it was a five, we were almost certainly going.  The chairs would be pushed away from the table in the back room and we would be headed for the rig before the man on watch had time to announce the run.  What always seemed strange to me was how everyone had fine tuning in their ears at night when we were asleep in our bunks.  The same was true: if the first number stopped at two, you waited to see if the second number was a four.  If the bell kept ringing after the four, you automatically went back to sleep and never remembered hearing the box.  Multiple alarm fire were transmitted using the prefix for the borough, the level of alarm, and then the box number.  I was often amazed when I woke in the morning, went downstairs, and looked at the chalkboard.  I would see: 66-22-2358, 66-33-2358, 66-44-2358. I would realize their had been a fourth in the Bronx, but had no recollection of ever hearing the bells.  That was because if the first number was 6, we were going anywhere.

I also remember being at the Brooklyn CO helping out many times; I would file these strange metal cards with holes in them.  There was one for each box and they were filed numerically.  The holes decided which firehouses would receive the alarm from the selective alarm system.  When it got busy, the dispatchers would be pulling these metal cards as fast as possible and put them into a transmitting machine.  They didn't have time to put the cards back.  If it really, really got busy, they didn't use the cards and punched out the boxes manually.  In the firehouse, you could easily tell the difference between an automated transmission and a manual one because the manual ones were much faster.

To All,

Got another one for "youse guys".

Hot August night, probably 1970. It's the 15th of the month and a full moon as well. I'm riding with 132 as the 6X9 starts with an all-hands in Brownsville. Someone else gets relocated to 120. I go to the store for the night's meal and by the time I get back to quarters (around 6:30), there are 4 all-hands going and we are now relocating to 120 (as 120's third section). When we get to 120's house, someone runs out and says "you're going to Herzl & either Newport or Lott". We can see the column of smoke from 120.
When we get there, it's a vacant building - fire on the first floor rear. E-249 had been relocated to 283 and had the first line on the fire. As we were getting ready to take up from that job, we get another one on Chester St. Top floor - vacant building. Plenty of fire and lots of smoke.
As we were finishing up there, a Battalion Chief approached our Lieutenant and said several other companies had been relocated to 120 after us, so he told us to return to our own quarters, wash up, have our meal and then to call 120 to see if they needed us back there. It was about 8:30 - 9:00 PM. So we went to our house and by the time we finished Brownsville had quieted down. Just another night in the 15th Division.

If anyone else remembers that night, please add on to this.

Regards,

Jim (aka 1261truckie)

I'm Glad to hear that the dispatchers are also praised. SO much must go on behind the scenes. Its amazing you can request almost anything thats needed (porta johns,drinking water,or whatever else would be required at some long operations) and they will ALWAYS have an answer and usually find a way to get what the Chief needed. Hats off to them, considering no computers and like stated earlier the card system must of been confusing when busy.
  On a side note, when I hear brothers down here( Nashville) talk about there " War Years", makes me chuckle,to myself, still have respect for any senior guy from any Dept or Company. They might of had 3 fires at one time in the whole entire city. I try to explain to them about FDNY and the war years,but don't think they believe me. I grew up in Canarsie,Brooklyn from 77 to 96. All i can remember was 4th of July was fun for me to ride around on my bike and just wait for the smoke. Almost for sure the weeds were going to burn along the Belt Parkway or the Padergats. Watching 257 and 310 fighting what I thought was a massive brush fire for hours and they would let me help pack hose and I would ride home and fill up thermos with ice and water to give to the guys. I was like a 9 year old kid on my bike acting as a RAC unit.  :)
  Now I play them the old audios I find and watch them get the chills on there arms. They are amazed.
Thank you to all the dispatches for a great job and still continue to do a outstanding job.  RD

rdm258, Yes, those 4th of July"s. They are a story in itself. For anybody who wasn"t around for the busy "War Years", it"s the closest thing that I think can be compared to those Busy War Years. Right up until the late 90s, the 4th of July"s were Extremely busy. It would start around 9 PM and once the action started, it was non-stop until about 2-3 AM. All the Reserve Rigs would be manned (500 and 700 series). During the day, the City Parks would be jammed packed with people. Once the sun set, the party really began. Fireworks, M-80s, Cherry Bombs, I wouldn"t doubt even pieces of Dynamite, going off. I would ride through the streets and it was like riding in the middle of a "War Zone". We would have to keep all the windows in the car rolled up because of all the flying rockets taking off from one side of the street to another. Once it started the FDNY radio was non-stop. A lot of fires were started on the roofs because of the flying rockets. I remember catching five or six jobs, just in the Bronx, and that was pretty much all below Fordham Rd. The smell of smoke from the fires, and the smell of sulfur from all the fireworks covered the area. Some streets even got closed by the people themselves, as they took over to give their own fireworks display. Except for the Huge Celebration of Fireworks, the 4th of July"s were a taste of the War Years for the FDNY. What used to go on then, it showed what those FDNY members faced on a daily basis in those busy years.

I talk about My Younger Buff Years and how lucky I was to be around to witness what went on during that very busy time for the FDNY. But one very important thing that I forgot to mention about. For this I apologize to the members of the FDNY that fought these fires for those 10 or 15 years. For me, it was just a hobby. But the sad truth is that you can"t fight that many fires and not have injuries. And I"m sure some very Serious injuries that members, and their families, are still paying the price for. They went to work to do their jobs of fighting fires. They were there to save lives. And that"s what they did. Behind all these stories, we need to remember that people got hurt. Firefighters and friends of Firefighters. It was nothing short of a War. Innocent people that had nothing to do with starting these fires also paid a price. It took it"s toll over the years.
  Lets not forget these people. I have a Great Respect for what I saw those Firefighters do. But remember, a lot of those guys got hurt. Most have families, kids, wife's, but they all paid the price when something went wrong.

Around 1978 or so, things started to level off some for those South Bronx Companies. Don"t get me wrong, they were still fighting fires, just not at the huge pace they had been over the previous years. I guess that was probadly due to the increased number of Fire Marshalls that were put on, and the fact that blocks of buildings had been burned out, and were just gone or empty burned out shells.
  And sure enough, just as everyone had expected, the West Bronx was starting to pick up. Companies like E92/L44, E68/L49, E42/L56 (L56 was with E42 at that time), E48, E75/L33, and E43/L59 were showing signs of an approaching War Years II. Battalions 17, and 19 were becoming the busiest battalions. So it was time for me to learn a whole new set of streets. I don"t think I ever chased a fire, West of Webster Ave prior to that.
  My first trip to this strange land came right after a very serious fire that occurred on Morris Ave, just down the street from Eng 92s firehouse. I think about 25 civilians had been hurt, mostly from jumping out of the upper floor windows. I think it was around 167 St and Morris Ave. I remember stopping by the firehouse (92/44) and talking with a few guys about it. They had also told me how the work was starting to pick up in the area. They took me on a run with them, and on the way back they stopped by that fire. They showed me all the outside metal awnings with large dents in them where people had been jumping out of the windows onto those awnings.
  So my new hang out, became Teller Ave near Clairmont Park. I now had to learn a new set of streets. Grand Concourse, Jerome Ave, Walton Ave, Morris Ave, etc. Still, it wasn"t that bad to get over to 82s area, or other parts of the South Bronx. And this West Bronx area had the same conditions as the South Bronx. Occupied 5 and 6 Brick M.D.s, rows of Taxpayers, and some wood frames. The difference now was that these buildings had Not yet been burned out. But it was about to change as those companies begin the fight of the FDNY War Years II.

As the War Years were starting to come to an end, several changes for the FDNY were starting to take place. Because of Budget cuts several companies had been closed down. Engine 85 from the "Tin House" had been closed and Ladder 59 had moved from the "Tin House" to Sedgewick Ave with Engine 43 where the activity was picking up. No more Tactical Control Units (TCUs) from 3 PM to 1 AM, No Manpower Squad Cos (The Bronx lost Sqd 2, Manhatten Sqd 1, and Brooklyn lost Sqds 3 and 4), The Super Pumper and Satellites were no longer manned. And No More Second Sections.
  The FDNY had been experimenting with a new color of Fire Apparatus. There had been studies done that a Lime Green color firetruck would be seen easier than a red firetruck, thereby reducing accidents. The FDNY had about 20 Mack Engines painted this color as a trial basis to see if this cut down on the amount of accidents. This was also becoming a trend throughout the country. Some cities like Boston and Newark even painted over their red fire trucks. In the Bronx, I remember Eng 41 (now Sqd 41), Eng 45, Eng 85, and Eng 94 (I think), were all the Lime Green Color.
  My favorite Lime Green Engine was Eng 45. They had a big picture of "Kermite the Frog" on it, and it said: "It"s Not Easy Being Green". I sure wish I had a few pictures of that, because it was such class, on such a busy outfit.
  Shortly after this the FDNY purchased several American La France Pumpers. Somebody on this site said about 80 of these, to be more accurate. The only Lime Green American La France Engine was Eng 65. All the rest were all painted Red. The FDNY was about to try another experiment. Remember, there was NO Air Conditioning in these rigs at the time. In the summer, riding in those rigs was really hot. As a result, several of these ALF Engines had their roof area"s painted "White". I think Eng 50 and 82 were two of them. It was hoped that the White Color Roof area would reflect some of the heat and this would make the cabs cooler. I would have to guess that it worked, because as a result, all the FDNY rigs have white roofs as of this date.
  And as far as the Lime Green went, I think the FDNY was the first to come out and say, there was no difference in apparatus accidents, red or Lime Green. (Some called it Slime Green). So much for the FDNY Green Fire Trucks.