My younger Buff years

mack

Administrator
Thank you Linda.  You do very nice work and your videos are very meaningful.

Thanks also to Willy D for posting and to Chief ************ for his interesting memories and comments.

Willy D , I know this will come as a devastating blow to you, while passing Southern Blvd. & Fordham Rd. today I noticed

that Mickey D's is Out Of Business

mack

Administrator
They are out of business because Willy D does not buff the Bronx any more.  The sign they used to have "Millions and millions served" were due to his War Years buffing. Now if he ever goes back to the Bronx he will starve.  There's more to life than a Happy Meal, Bill.

Can you estimate how many burgers you ate there over the past 40 years Bill?  How many fries?  I would guess maybe 200 a year times 40 years  -  8000 burgers.  And 400000 fries.  And a few thousand gallons of coffee.  No wonder they are out of business.

mikeindabronx said:
Willy D , I know this will come as a devastating blow to you, while passing Southern Blvd. & Fordham Rd. today I noticed

that Mickey D's is Out Of Business
Oh no! Mike you've got to break that easy to Willie. A moment of silence please.

mack said:
They are out of business because Willy D does not buff the Bronx any more.  The sign they used to have "Millions and millions served" were due to his War Years buffing. Now if he ever goes back to the Bronx he will starve.  There's more to life than a Happy Meal, Bill.

Can you estimate how many burgers you ate there over the past 40 years Bill?  How many fries?  I would guess maybe 200 a year times 40 years  -  8000 burgers.  And 400000 fries.  And a few thousand gallons of coffee.  No wonder they are out of business.

"mack", "mikeindabronx", "fdce54", and friends of Nycfire.net.

Let's not start to panic yet. Yes, sales of burgers and fries are down due to less buffing activity time. But recently a similar event happened at the Micky Ds just a little ways from the Ole' Homestead. That McDs was also closed down and surrounded by a fenced in area. But, after a few months, it was replaced by a brand new, modern Micky Ds using the highest tech equipment to order your Big Macs, Fries, and Happy Meals. Yes folks you can now walk into this modern McDs to place your order through a high tech computer, pay with your debit or credit card, get your pick up number and in no time pick up your order. No more waiting in long lines to place your order.

The CEOs are even doing away with jobs at McDs now, and putting those extra dollars into their own pockets instead. Where there were once 3 or 4 cashiers, there are now two.

Before this McDonalds there was a Howard Johnsons Restaurant at that location of Southern Blvd and Fordham Rd. It was about the only place to get a burger or coffee south of Fordham Rd during those very busy FDNY War Years.

But Willy, if you went to Howard Johnson's, you HAD to get a clam roll . . . or at least one of those hot dogs in the toasted split top bun.

IMG_6423.jpg

P.S. Their onion rings weren't bad either.

HowardJohnsonsRestaurant.jpg

raybrag said:
But Willy, if you went to Howard Johnson's, you HAD to get a clam roll . . . or at least one of those hot dogs in the toasted split top bun.

IMG_6423.jpg

PLEASE NOTE - There was a problem with the video in Reply # 1656. I believe it was hacked into and it has been replaced by another.

Yes Ray, that was the Ho Jo's many of us would visit for a bite to eat. There was no place else for miles south of Fordham Rd. Hard to believe today but true. Of course there were no Big Macs or Happy Meals to pick from. So Ray, you're right. It was the hot dogs, clam strips and I think on Wednesday's they had fish and chip specials.

So much has changed today.

mack

Administrator
raybrag said:

IMG_6423.jpg

Ray.  Good did not have hot dogs like Nathan's did.  They had "frankforts". They also had 28 flavors of ice cream. Not 27.  Not 29.  They had 28.  Too bad their chain went out of business.  They had a few thousand restaurants across the US.  They were killed by fast food restaurants.  Willy D could write a book about "Eating During the War Years".

You're right, Joe.  But Nathan's also had the chewiest corn on the cob . . . and it left enough strings hanging in your teeth to last the whole derby ride around the roof of Steeplechase Park.  (They also had the best candied relish).

stp-steeplechase3.jpg

mack

Administrator
nfd2004 said:
mack said:

"mack", "mikeindabronx", "fdce54", and friends of Nycfire.net.

Let's not start to panic yet. Yes, sales of burgers and fries are down due to less buffing activity time. But recently a similar event happened at the Micky Ds just a little ways from the Ole' Homestead. That McDs was also closed down and surrounded by a fenced in area. But, after a few months, it was replaced by a brand new, modern Micky Ds using the highest tech equipment to order your Big Macs, Fries, and Happy Meals. Yes folks you can now walk into this modern McDs to place your order through a high tech computer, pay with your debit or credit card, get your pick up number and in no time pick up your order. No more waiting in long lines to place your order.

The CEOs are even doing away with jobs at McDs now, and putting those extra dollars into their own pockets instead. Where there were once 3 or 4 cashiers, there are now two.

Before this McDonalds there was a Howard Johnsons Restaurant at that location of Southern Blvd and Fordham Rd. It was about the only place to get a burger or coffee south of Fordham Rd during those very busy FDNY War Years.

Willy D liked Hojos ice cream, too:

1940-howard-johnsons-28-flavors-ad-yankee-magazi.jpg

grumpy grizzly said:
Howard Johnsons. Any Boston area buff  will tell you about Ho-Jo and "Whip City" in the 60's and 70's.

Yes Grump, I spent a few nights there myself. Eng 43/Lad 20 was right around the corner as well as the FD Shops. It was certainly the place to be when it came to buffing (Sparking as it is called in B-town).

Yes, we remember those days too.

When I sometimes go back and read some of these stories, see some of the pictures and videos, "It's even hard for me now to believe that this actually DID HAPPEN". When my buff buddies who were there with me talk about it among ourselves, we just can't believe how things were then. So I can certainly understand today how a younger person might feel that all this really can't be true. But it is and these FDNY War Years Firefighters set the standards for the fire service throughout the entire country.

Basically it all started from what was learned and what was taught by these guys that many of us sometimes refer to as "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters". They really were "Top's in what they did". Although looking at the way they worked then, it would seem in the eyes of some today, these guys broke many of the rules that have been established in todays fire service.

Because of the kind of work that these guys did, we throughout the fire service of our entire country learned so much. From the most complex to the simplest. And that learning experience carried beyond the FDNY War Years into the 1980s, and 90s.

When our country established the Incident Command System, that system was molded after the make up of the FDNY progress reports and fire ground activity. I remember attending my first required Incident Command Class. As soon as we got into the facts, I realized it was based on what the FDNY had already been doing for many years before. The only thing that changed was the terminology used. Actually a more difficult terminology than what the FDNY had used for years.

When the newest term called RIT (Rapid Intervention Team) was put to use on a national level, that had already been based on the fact that the FDNY had a year in which several firefighters had lost their lives operating at fires and the FDNY wanted to do something to change that. The term FAST CO (originally I remember as a FAT Engine) came into use beginning with the transmission of a second alarm. Shortly after to be used on every all hands transmitted. I believe that was the result of a serious fire on Fordham Rd and I think the Chief involved in writing that is a member of this site with user name is *******.

When a serious fire in lower Manhattan occurred and Three members of Ladder Co 5 lost their lives due to serious burns, it was the FDNY that decided to try out various types of Bunker gear in some of the busiest companies. With a reduction in burns using that bunker gear the FDNY adapted that as standard equipment as we know it today. What followed was just about EVERY City and town throughout the rest of the country who had the older turnout coats and 3/4 rubber boots to change as well. The FDNY also made hoods part of that equipment and other cities followed that too.

The use of handie talkies on the fire ground had been proven very successful by the members of the FDNY during the FDNY War Years. I believe initially it was one handie talkie among a team of two firefighters working together. Today of course in most places each firefighter operates with their own individual handie talkie.

Things like the Urban Search and Rescue Teams (USAR), Haz Mat teams, Scuba Teams all got a push start from the FDNY. It was events in NYC that proved these special groups were needed as part of a fire dept organization. Much of todays Mass Casuality and Terrorism Operation has been lead by the events encountered within the FDNY.

Of much simpler form, even carrying a saw using a sling up a ladder came from the FDNY. It allows hands free climbing. Another, carrying a piece of webbing in bunker gear to be used to help drag unconscious victims out of a burning building was put to use within the FDNY and followed by many other departments after that.

Today it is easy to see that basically every firefighter and fire dept owes much to the FDNY for their leadership in developing what most of us today relate to as the Fire Service.

I must give credit however to a TV series called "Emergency" based on the workings of the L.A. County Fire Dept for what we all know today as our paramedic and fire dept response to the thousands of medical calls that our firefighters respond to. Firefighters save many lives for their quick action and training they receive to treat serious medical emergencies. Including a few very close friends who are alive today because of the work that these firefighters, EMTs and Medics have done. Two of which were in cardiac arrest at the time.

I just don't see another decade or two of what was known as the FDNY War Years. But for those of us that were there to see it or the guys that were a part of it, "this will forever go down in the history books as the busiest time, in the busiest city, fighting serious fires daily as just a matter of routine business".

mack

Administrator
nfd2004 said:
When I sometimes go back and read some of these stories, see some of the pictures and videos, "It's even hard for me now to believe that this actually DID HAPPEN". When my buff buddies who were there with me talk about it among ourselves, we just can't believe how things were then. So I can certainly understand today how a younger person might feel that all this really can't be true. But it is and these FDNY War Years Firefighters set the standards for the fire service throughout the entire country.

Basically it all started from what was learned and what was taught by these guys that many of us sometimes refer to as "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters". They really were "Top's in what they did". Although looking at the way they worked then, it would seem in the eyes of some today, these guys broke many of the rules that have been established in todays fire service.

Because of the kind of work that these guys did, we throughout the fire service of our entire country learned so much. From the most complex to the simplest. And that learning experience carried beyond the FDNY War Years into the 1980s, and 90s.

When our country established the Incident Command System, that system was molded after the make up of the FDNY progress reports and fire ground activity. I remember attending my first required Incident Command Class. As soon as we got into the facts, I realized it was based on what the FDNY had already been doing for many years before. The only thing that changed was the terminology used. Actually a more difficult terminology than what the FDNY had used for years.

When the newest term called RIT (Rapid Intervention Team) was put to use on a national level, that had already been based on the fact that the FDNY had a year in which several firefighters had lost their lives operating at fires and the FDNY wanted to do something to change that. The term FAST CO (originally I remember as a FAT Engine) came into use beginning with the transmission of a second alarm. Shortly after to be used on every all hands transmitted. I believe that was the result of a serious fire on Fordham Rd and I think the Chief involved in writing that is a member of this site with user name is *******.

When a serious fire in lower Manhattan occurred and Three members of Ladder Co 5 lost their lives due to serious burns, it was the FDNY that decided to try out various types of Bunker gear in some of the busiest companies. With a reduction in burns using that bunker gear the FDNY adapted that as standard equipment as we know it today. What followed was just about EVERY City and town throughout the rest of the country who had the older turnout coats and 3/4 rubber boots to change as well. The FDNY also made hoods part of that equipment and other cities followed that too.

The use of handie talkies on the fire ground had been proven very successful by the members of the FDNY during the FDNY War Years. I believe initially it was one handie talkie among a team of two firefighters working together. Today of course in most places each firefighter operates with their own individual handie talkie. I

Things like the Urban Search and Rescue Teams (USAR), Haz Mat teams, Scuba Teams all got a push start from the FDNY. It was events in NYC that proved these special groups were needed as part of a fire dept organization. Much of todays Mass Casuality and Terrorism Operation has been lead by the events encountered within the FDNY.

Of much simpler form, even carrying a saw using a sling up a ladder came from the FDNY. It allows hands free climbing. Another, carrying a piece of webbing in bunker gear to be used to help drag unconscious victims out of a burning building was put to use within the FDNY and followed by many other departments after that.

Today it is easy to see that basically every firefighter and fire dept owes much to the FDNY for their leadership in developing what most of us today relate to as the Fire Service.

I must give credit however to a TV series called "Emergency" based on the workings of the L.A. County Fire Dept for what we all know today as our paramedic and fire dept response to the thousands of medical calls that our firefighters respond to. Firefighters save many lives for their quick action and training they receive to treat serious medical emergencies. Including a few very close friends who are alive today because of the work that these firefighters, EMTs and Medics have done. Two of which were in cardiac arrest at the time.

I just don't see another decade or two of what was known as the FDNY War Years. But for those of us that were there to see it or the guys that were a part of it, "this will forever go down in the history books as the busiest time, in the busiest city, fighting serious fires daily as just a matter of routine business".

The reason so many innovations were made was - there were a lot of fires to learn from.  Sounds simple but when you have 2 or 3, or 5 or 6 every night, you learn, especially when there are also hardships like cutbacks, closed firehouses, high crime, riots and civil disobedience.  Companies were doing 20 runs a night, even slower companies which were relocated or interchanged frequently.  Everyone was really good at what they did, firefighters, officers, dispatchers.

It was a time before cell phones, the internet, Facebook, cable TV, Starbucks, ATMs, Uber, sushi, microwave ovens, and MTV.  Life was simple but changing rapidly.  Civil disobedience, disrespect, drugs, gangs, attacks on firefighters and cops, arson.  FDNY responded with covered apparatus, tower ladders, rearmounts, tactical control units, yellow apparatus, adaptive response, ERS alarm boxes, "red cap" arson program, rapid water, salvage units, handi-talkies, power tools, discretionary response boxes, life ropes - and many other innovations.  It is hard to imagine what it was like 50 years ago when 20 runs a night, for fire not EMS, with 4 or 5 fires was just an average night. When you would never be able to eat a meal without interruption.  When you had to rewind pulled fire alarm boxes after 5 or 10 false alarms every tour.  When runs came in by bells, telephone and the Voice Alarm.  When assignment cards at housewatch desks were pulled every time a working fire was announced in your boro.  It was, as described on this site many times,  "the best of times and the worst of times".

Right on the button Mack. The best, the men of the FDNY. The worst, the bugs and junkies who burned the neighborhoods out, but most of all the City of New York that allowed it.

mack

Administrator
This thread now has had over 350,000 views.  The history and stories shared here by so many knowledgeable and deeply experienced members should continue to be passed on.  Good job, Bill - and the countless contributors.

As so many have said before, the anchor of the War Years was the men themselves. These guys were amazing. Ordinary men who did extraordinary things. The amount of running they did with their respective companies, the amount of working fires they responded to, their creativity in dealing with the situations they were faced with, their resourcefulness in overcoming a variety of obstacles and the camaraderie they displayed were beyond belief and second to none. What always amazed me was that there were waiting lists of guys wanting to transfer into these busy companies. That, by itself, is a real testament to the dedication of the New York Fireman/Firefighter.
Yes, the Department provided some innovative tools (radios, towerladders, rearmounts, partner saws, TCU's, second sections, etc), but it was the men who were the glue that held it all together and made it work by working with the tools, experimenting with new techniques and honing their skills at job after job.
I was privileged to be a part of that family and learned lessons that I carry with me to this day. 

Hard to believe but with 2018 coming up soon, some of us can remember the "Red Caps" hitting the streets of the hardest hit areas of the city during FDNYs so called Arson Plagued War Years.

The city had to try and put an end to the staggering amount of fire activity beginning from perhaps the mid 60s. Blocks and blocks of once fully occupied neighborhoods were basically being wiped out from the fires. The arson was spreading to other areas as well.

Just one example that I remember was how the area west of Webster Ave in the Bronx was beginning to feel the arson at a very rapid pace. Using the Bronx as an example it stopped at the Cross Bronx Expressway. Then it went beyond that to East Tremont. Then further north almost up to Fordham Rd. Meantime it was spreading west as well. To the Grand Concourse. Then over to Jerome Ave where the fire activity for Engine 75, Ladder 33, Battalion 19 increased almost overnight. It was now reaching Kingsbridge Rd.

The same thing was going on throughout many parts of Brooklyn. Bushwick was being hit hard along with other parts of Brooklyn. Harlem and the Lower Eastside were hot spots as well.

I remember the Red Caps had two trailers set up. One in the Bronx, referred to as "Bronx Base" and one in Brooklyn, "Brooklyn Base". The Fire Marshalls operated out of those mobile trailers for several years.

As I remember, "Bronx Base" was set up at 161 St and the Grand Concourse (?). Then as activity started to go north, the trailer was moved to Third Ave and Fordham Rd (?). I'm not sure where in Brooklyn, "Brooklyn Base" was located. Maybe near the Tin House (231/176) ?
  Anybody with a better memory of these Red Cap trailer locations.

When these 300 fire Marshalls hit the streets, they made a huge impact on cutting down the amount of fires. They did a GREAT job. I remember reading in just the first year, the fires were down almost by half compared to the year before. 

Sorry to rain on your above Bill, but---  Was assigned to 50 engine 1/70 to 4/73 as a Lt., then 82 as Captain 9/73 to 5/76. Both companies were doing around 1800 structural fires a year with 1600 hours of structural work, give or take a hundred or two each year.  Never saw a Red Cap marshal at any fire. The old saying "locking the barn door after the horse got out fit the Red Cap program." The city "allowed" the South Bronx and other inner city neighborhoods to be burned out for 15 years affecting the lives of so many poor families, firefighters and their families. All you have to remember is Bronx Box 2743, Charlotte and 170. A teeming neighborhood in 1965, a burned out Berlin in 1975. The city never would have allowed this to have happened to these families in Yorkville, but did allow it at 2743.

******* said:
Sorry to rain on your above Bill, but---  Was assigned to 50 engine 1/70 to 4/73 as a Lt., then 82 as Captain 9/73 to 5/76. Both companies were doing around 1800 structural fires a year with 1600 hours of structural work, give or take a hundred or two each year.  Never saw a Red Cap marshal at any fire. The old saying "locking the barn door after the horse got out fit the Red Cap program." The city "allowed" the South Bronx and other inner city neighborhoods to be burned out for 15 years affecting the lives of so many poor families, firefighters and their families. All you have to remember is Bronx Box 2743, Charlotte and 170. A teeming neighborhood in 1965, a burned out Berlin in 1975. The city never would have allowed this to have happened to these families in Yorkville, but did allow it at 2743.

Chief, you were there as this was happening. I remember seeing exactly what you are talking about on Charlotte St. In just ten short years, that entire neighborhood was destroyed. I wasn't around to see things when it was a much different street.

As I remember the damage had already been done to many areas of the South Bronx. This is just a guess, maybe once the city succeeded in destroying that area, they never expected the problem to extend beyond those limits into other neighborhoods. As I remember, by comparison when it did spread, it might not have been at the progression rate of the Charlotte St area.

Engine 82/Ladder 31s quarters were a favorite spot for the buffs to hang out because of the fire activity. I really didn't know about the area until the book "Report from Engine Co 82" came out around 1972. When I decided to go check the place out, I found that I wasn't the only guy who did that as well.

For the next several years, until around 1976, that was the place I'd be.

Then came Brooklyn's Bushwick and the fire activity was really taking off. Most of the time during 1976/77, that is where I went. Yes, Chief, by 1975 everything was gone that was left to burn near 82s/31s. It was after this time that the Red Caps came into play.

I returned to buff the Bronx after that. The area west of Webster Ave and going farther north seemed to be increasing with fire activity, although not at the peak of the previous years.

So it was sometime "AFTER" 1977 that those Fire Marshall Trailers were set up. I hope there's other guys on here who remember them too.

Chief *******, let me also say, "I'm really glad to see you on here. Your stories are fully appreciated not only by myself, but many others here too. I know that because guys tell me so. Like so many other GREAT FDNY War Years Firefighters, you were there. And in your case, I guess "you were right there in the middle of it".

Today, I am honored to have personnel friends who were a part of it. There are also other buffs here like myself and we still talk about those days. One of those guys is my brother who used to come down with me. He became a firefighter in Bridgeport, Ct., where much of the same went on there in the 1980s. Bridgeport wasn't the only place either. But what he learned from those FDNY firefighters a decade earlier, certainly helped him with his job for what was referred to as "The Other War Years".