My younger Buff years

^^^^^^  Various Frontpieces were worn by AUX's....here is a later version after the helmets went from Red to  Yellow mid '60s because of Pressure from the NY Board Of Fire Underwriters (Fire Patrol)....it was also referred to as "FIRE EMERGENCY DIVISION".....  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-FDNY-Firefighter-Cairns-Leather-5A-Fire-Helmet-Disbanded-Unit/173373413820?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52473%26meid%3D7122c1bcb9af45ceacdc1f72a42bdded%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D332694018950%26itm%3D173373413820&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It is hard for me to believe that my "First Introduction to the FDNY" was over 50 years ago. That was in the summer of 1968 and from what I understand, it was around the start of those very busy "FDNY War Years".

I had been invited down to the quarters of Engine Co 210 and Rescue Co 2. From then on as an 18 year old buff, along with my 13 year old younger brother we were "hooked" as buffs of the FDNY. We spent a few night tours there and got our start right from the TOP. We were now introduced into the "Major Leagues of the entire fire service though out the country".

Both my brother and I loved the fire department and from the time we were kids, that's all we both wanted. For a couple of kids like ourselves it was certainly the BEST Time to be around. As buffs, we couldn't have planned it any better.

From Brooklyn's Eng 210/Rescue 2, we worked our way into the Harlem area, where we chased some of the busiest FDNY companies watching them fight fires. The numbered streets made it very easy for a couple of kids from outside the area to find their way around. GPS hadn't been invented yet. We only had maps to follow. But whether we were on 110th St or 145th St, once we learned a few North/South Aves, it was pretty easy then.

I think around 1972 the book "Report from Engine Co 82" comes out. It tells about the busiest fire company in the world. By then, the area looked to be already bombed out. But over the next few years the fires continued to burn at a staggering rate. At times there are no fire companies to respond, despite many relocated companies into the area.

Recently a few of us guys from this site got together. A couple wanted to stop by that very famous firehouse located on Intervale Ave near 169 St.

Things of course look much different now. Angie's Market across the street has another name. Angie's did a great business during those days selling sandwiches and coffees to the dozens of buffs.
There are no more vacant, burned out buildings or "blocks" in the area. Actually some nice homes within the firehouse. Back then I could have bought a vacant lot full of rubbish, burned out cars and dozens of rats for $1,000. No more $1,000 lots there now.

But there were two things left that kind of reminded me of those days some 40 years ago. Southern Blvd under the elevated subway still seemed to have the character it once did back then. Some say the Bronx is bouncing back. Not around there as I see it.

Another thing that caught my eye was a few blocks from 82/31 on Boston Rd was a two story commercial building with the windows covered in plywood, using cross members on the inside to secure it from intruders. That plywood also had the small triangle cut in it. I was once told that cut allows a ladder company to pull the plywood off. It also allowed some visibility from the outside. I hadn't seen that in awhile.

We also stopped in the quarters of Engine 73/Ladder 42 on Prospect Ave. Back in the day Squad 2 also shared quarters there. This sites administrator, retired FDNY Captain Bendick had worked Squad 2 and many of us know him. Squad 2 would spend their night tours rotating between Engine 73, 82, and 85 (now closed).

We also stopped by two other firehouses in the Bronx that day. Of course a lot has changed over those many years, including the names and faces. We appreciate the members inviting us in. And just as a lot of us did back then, we watched 82/31 leaving their quarters going out on a run.

Thanks guys, we appreciate you taking the time to show us around and talk to us. I still consider you as the GREATEST some 40-50 years later.

A friend passed this onto me. I believe it is the movie that had been mentioned on here earlier.

I checked and tickets for the showing on Saturday November 10th at the SVA Theater have been sold out.

It is also reported to be playing at the Cinepolis Chelsea from November 8 - 15th.

Anybody have any more info on this ?

Here is the link I've been sent.

www.docnyc.net/film/decade-of-fire/

Last edited:
The Cinepolis Chelsea is located on 23rd Street, just east of Eighth Avenue.  It's about a five minute walk from where we'll have the Chelsea Veterans' Day Ceremony at 27th Street and Ninth Avenue at 1100 hours on Monday, 12 November.

NFD...The windows you refer to were called HUD windows.  They consisted of a sandwich with plywood between 2x4's both inside and outside the window frame.  The outer 2x4 was shorter, but the inside 2x4 spanned beyond the frame.  They were all secured with carriage bolts, the head of which was visible through the outer 2x4.  The idea was to split the outer 2x4 if you could and/or shear off the head of the carriage bolt or drive it through the (hopefully) rotted plywood.  That would cause the inner, longer 2x4 to release. The sheet of plywood would then fall outwards, you'd catch it, spin it and throw it back into the room. Move onto the next window.  We had them all over the vacants of the Lower East Side, and they were seen citywide back then.  We didn't see the cut triangles you referred to....you took quite a beating before the plywood was removed.

manhattan said:
The Cinepolis Chelsea is located on 23rd Street, just east of Eighth Avenue.  It's about a five minute walk from where we'll have the Chelsea Veterans' Day Ceremony at 17th Street and Ninth Avenue at 1100 hours on Monday, 12 November.

CORRECTION - - The Ceremony wil be at 27TH Street and Ninth Avenue.  Please pardon the error.

doneleven said:
NFD...The windows you refer to were called HUD windows. They consisted of a sandwich with plywood between 2x4's both inside and outside the window frame. The outer 2x4 was shorter, but the inside 2x4 spanned beyond the frame. They were all secured with carriage bolts, the head of which was visible through the outer 2x4. The idea was to split the outer 2x4 if you could and/or shear off the head of the carriage bolt or drive it through the (hopefully) rotted plywood. That would cause the inner, longer 2x4 to release. The sheet of plywood would then fall outwards, you'd catch it, spin it and throw it back into the room. Move onto the next window. We had them all over the vacants of the Lower East Side, and they were seen citywide back then. We didn't see the cut triangles you referred to....you took quite a beating before the plywood was removed.

"doneleven", yes sir, there was NO Difference from the ghetto areas of the Lower East Side or the South Bronx. I remember those Lower East Side companies always being at the top of the list for runs and/or work too. Engine 28/Ladder 11 as an example.

The Lower East Side had the same building conditions, the same when it came to ADVs and rubbish filled lots, as well as the same kind of people living in the area.

For those who might not be aware of how it was, here is just a small sample of the day to day life of the Lower East Side. Sometimes referred to as "Alphabet City" due to it's Ave's "A", "B", "C", and "D".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vkxFs7Q84c

Last edited:
Thank you for posting that clip, sir.  I had never seen it before.  Absolutely amazing footage of complete and total desolation..blocks and blocks of vacant buildings and empty lots.  Even more amazing however, is how they got that way.  At one time there were no vacants down there...no empty brick strewn lots.  What you see is the result of literally countless fires in an area roughly 18 blocks by five blocks.  How the City allowed this to happen virtually within walking distance of both the Financial District and even City Hall is a question for historians.  Literally every night of the week Second Street between Avenue B and Avenue C...the block we (Engine 28 Ladder 11) were quartered on, would be like San Gennaro...hundreds of people walking in the middle of the street selling and buying drugs.  New York magazine published an article alleging that the vacant building diagonally across from us recorded heroin sales of over $1 million each week.  And this was the 1970's!  It got so bad that someone in the company painted, with yellow traffic paint..."OD Crossing" between the building and the firehouse.  Truck companies weren't issued resuscitators in those days, only the battalion carried one.  We special called Battalion 4 so often they simply gave us their resuscitator.  Yes....those were "fun" days to be part of the FDNY back then...and I would not trade the memories for anything, but it was also tragic.  Many lives lost or ruined.  A once proud neighborhood which immigrants of all nationalities over the years used as a starting place in their new country destroyed.  On a funny note, I'd show firemen friends of mine pictures of the vacants and the lots....and one's reply was...."thought you guys were good down there.  Did you save ANYTHING?"....lol.  Be well.

An additional page added to Mike D., aka "mikeindabronx", GREAT Fire Photos.

Here is the latest of when fires were just a routine part of life in the streets of New York.

Thanks Mike. And let me remind everybody that during this time, photography was a very special skill and talent. It took special speed film, special flash equipment and you never knew how the picture came out until they were developed.

Once again Mike, a Great Job done. Those were the days.

www.fdnysbravest.com/page27.htm

Last edited:
Looks like a not quite right "single-slide" rope evolution.  Perhaps this is a method no longer in use?  Or the guy forgot to tighten the life belt?

^^^^ I am not sure what is going on in the slide picture.....also i am not seeing the arrow to advance the frames ....anybody else ?

Perhaps it was a drill? The way I see it it's only a short parapet wall unless I'm not seeing correctly. Secondly, the guy on the rope seems to be an officer and the guy standing in front of the line is an officer. And last, but not least no one has any turnout gear showing and another member is having a smoke. As for the arrow Chief I'm not seeing it either.

No, I think Mike ran out of film and the gentleman was rappelling off the roof to get him some more film quickly. ;D

******* said:
Was a covering Lt. who refused to pay for the dinner meal.

If you look carefully, he has his feet planted firmly on a ledge.  He's just stuck there because the other guys won't let him back up until he coughs up the meal money.  8) ::)