New FDNY Tillers

Interesting but yet a tiller cost more than a rear mount ?
The way it was done in the past yes the initial new tiller may cost more then a rear mount but there are a few factors to keep in mind. In the past when they came time for replacement only the tractor part was replaced. If the aerial part is good just refurb and attach a new tractor. From what I have read about some of the other cities going back to tillers , besides they are more maneuverable but they also have more compartment space. There are some cities that are using them for Haz Mat rigs or Rescue and collapse rigs.

The way it was done in the past yes the initial new tiller may cost more then a rear mount but there are a few factors to keep in mind. In the past when they came time for replacement only the tractor part was replaced. If the aerial part is good just refurb and attach a new tractor. From what I have read about some of the other cities going back to tillers , besides they are more maneuverable but they also have more compartment space. There are some cities that are using them for Haz Mat rigs or Rescue and collapse rigs.
Great point, Mc. Back in the early to mid 20th century, aerial trailers might last up to 30 years, pulled by multiple tractors in its career. The trailer, after all, is merely a "truck", designed to carry stuff. How much $$$ could be saved by some adaptation of this concept? (Now you know where the name "truck company" originated.)

My 25 cents, inflation made 2 cents obsolete, is that da Bronx could use 2 or 3 new tillers.
A Tiller for 173 in Howard Beach is probably a Good Idea; Lotts'a Tight Spots like Brighton.
But, If the House Can No Longer Accommodate a Tiller... Well, Thar' ya' go. ;)

Yes as I stated earlier many of the truck companies that had them in the late 70s & mid 80s used the space to extend the kitchens, rec rooms etc. so they're not willing to sacrifice that for a tiller but I agree with many of you that there is a need for more tillers

RCL

A Tiller for 173 in Howard Beach is probably a Good Idea; Lotts'a Tight Spots like Brighton.
But, If the House Can No Longer Accommodate a Tiller... Well, Thar' ya' go. ;)
173s house can accommodate a tiller. Back in the 90s, when they got there last tiller, there was a sign that said no reammounts or towerladders allowed on the floor for relocation because it was sagging and only supported for a tiller. The sign was on both sides of the bay door. The floor was redone at somepoint as there now In a rearmount. But the switch from tiller to rm possibly may have had some extenuating circumstances behind it.

Yes I spoke to members from both companies and they confirmed it . A lot of the other trucks companies made additions in the fire house & weren't willing to make the sacrifice to accommodate a tiller

The House willing to make a sacrifice?
I remember when the Bosses would request a change for the response area streets, accessibility, type of construction etc. Now the Company doesn’t want to give up their Rec Room etc!
Don’t know about that 🤔 Priorities!

Yeah I agree about priorities but I remember speaking to a few guys from a truck that lost the tiller back in the 80s they liked having a rear mount better because it was faster. I would like to see more tillers but it's up to the members

As far as "structures" or "additions" on the apparatus floor ....if they are impeding the placement of apparatus the Job wants to place there then they are gone...I have seen some expensive "additions" demoed.

Firehouse was renovated and apparatus floor replace, required ADA bathroom added to the apparatus floor, lo and behold our reserve 500 series rig wouldn’t fit in quarters and could not be sent back to us. Deputy came screaming telling us to remove the addition of bathroom even measured floor and our regular rig to see how much space was needed. When he was politely informed of the laws about ADA access he left stammering and of course not happy. Reserve remained at its temporary quarters which made that company none too,happy.

I'm not doubting what you are saying but that is what was told to me by someone who is involved in purchasing apparatus and the Bronx and staten island could definitely use some

Firehouse was renovated and apparatus floor replace, required ADA bathroom added to the apparatus floor, lo and behold our reserve 500 series rig wouldn’t fit in quarters and could not be sent back to us. Deputy came screaming telling us to remove the addition of bathroom even measured floor and our regular rig to see how much space was needed. When he was politely informed of the laws about ADA access he left stammering and of course not happy. Reserve remained at its temporary quarters which made that company none too,happy.
Most Deputies I know wouldn't care.
Why did this one care so much? Did the 500 rig go to his quarters?

Where do you think they are needed?
I don't want to make some of my friends, still in da Bronx, mad so I will keep it to myself but there are a few areas in da Bronx that still have some narrow blocks and are hard to navigate. Also, the work has moved north so it would behoove the job to put a couple of tillers in da Bronx to relocate when 39 gets a job. Yes, there are tillers in the northern part of Manhattan but it still makes sense, in some instances, to make your relocator from within da Boro. Like I said before, thinking out of the box, Tillers can have multiple purposes.

Great point, Mc. Back in the early to mid 20th century, aerial trailers might last up to 30 years, pulled by multiple tractors in its career. The trailer, after all, is merely a "truck", designed to carry stuff. How much $$$ could be saved by some adaptation of this concept? (Now you know where the name "truck company" originated.)
In 1937 Cicero Illinois purchased a ALF 400 series tractor to replace a worn out unit. In 1952 they purchased a 85' metal Seagrave aerial trailer and hooked it up to the 400 tractor, in 1956 they purchased a ALF 700 series tractor to replace the 400 unit. This combo lasted until the early 80's when it was replaced by a 100'TDA Seagrave. In 1975 Chicago sent several well worn FWD wooden aerial trailers to Seagrave where new 100' metal aerials were installed and mated to new International tractors, the famous Truck 46 in the opening scenes of "Backdraft".

Attachments

• CFD T-32 TDA-officer.jpeg
    CFD T-32 TDA-officer.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 23
In 1937 Cicero Illinois purchased a ALF 400 series tractor to replace a worn out unit. In 1952 they purchased a 85' metal Seagrave aerial trailer and hooked it up to the 400 tractor, in 1956 they purchased a ALF 700 series tractor to replace the 400 unit. This combo lasted until the early 80's when it was replaced by a 100'TDA Seagrave. In 1975 Chicago sent several well worn FWD wooden aerial trailers to Seagrave where new 100' metal aerials were installed and mated to new International tractors, the famous Truck 46 in the opening scenes of "Backdraft".
Cicero T-2 56ALF/52 85' Seagrave still running in the early 80's

Attachments

• Cicero truck 2-1.jpg
    Cicero truck 2-1.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 20
I agree with the statement about the Bronx cause I can think of five truck companies up there that could use one and they all run in with each other

Ok, I will take a shot at it...

L52. Lots of narrow streets up there in Fieldston.
One to either L27, 37, or 38. Some tight corners in Tremont, Bedford Park/Norwood, and/or Belmont (resp.) And it could easily feed up to either Riverdale (52) or Wakefield (39) on relocation.
And maybe L29 or 49. Mott Haven and Highbridge still primarily 19th Century street grids. And access to the bridges to other boroughs.
I'm not aware of complaints from any of these companies about their rear mount manueverability. But if this discussion is about tiller's trending, why not these units?

Let the pissin' contest begin...

Ok, I will take a shot at it...

L52. Lots of narrow streets up there in Fieldston.
One to either L27, 37, or 38. Some tight corners in Tremont, Bedford Park/Norwood, and/or Belmont (resp.) And it could easily feed up to either Riverdale (52) or Wakefield (39) on relocation.
And maybe L29 or 49. Mott Haven and Highbridge still primarily 19th Century street grids. And access to the bridges to other boroughs.
I'm not aware of complaints from any of these companies about their rear mount manueverability. But if this discussion is about tiller's trending, why not these units?

Let the pissin' contest begin...
I agree on L52, I live in Riverdale and 52 are my first due companies. Not sure if 52s quarters can house a Tiller.