New FDNY Tillers

As a point of reference I understand that Boston has just ordered 6 100' rear mounts from E-One. Also my browser and e-mail was hacked so Grumpy Grizzly is now GG Andy!

The first of the new tillers won't be in until around this time next year and only two rear mounts are switching back at this time

Not to derail the thread, but what the heck is/was the "slippery water" mentioned in the article on page 2? Clearly whatever it was didn't work

1693485319625.png

Bulldog

Bulldog
Not to derail the thread, but what the heck is/was the "slippery water" mentioned in the article on page 2? Clearly whatever it was didn't work

View attachment 39223
It was also called "Rapid Water" and as the article said it was designed to reduce friction loss in hose lines. The plan was to be able to use smaller hoses to keep the same flow. It helped to some degree but not significantly and didn't stay around that long.

View attachment 39223
It was/is an additive to the water intended to reduce "friction loss". It was/is injected into the water stream at the pump. It was thought that with the friction loss a smaller diameter hose (1-3/4" vs. 2-1/2") could be operated by the members. FDNY called in "Rapid Water" and placed decals on the engines outfitted with it.
My understanding is it made all surfaces very slippery and made the hose line rigid making it difficult to bend around corners and stairways.

Yes I spoke to members from both companies and they confirmed it . A lot of the other trucks companies made additions in the fire house & weren't willing to make the sacrifice to accommodate a tiller