New FDNY Tillers

So I suppose the question has to be asked, there are tiller "heavy rescues" on the market and obviously FDNY has not sought them out but does anyone think there a chance of those making entry into the fleet in the future? The current rigs are just about as big as I would think they could be and maneuverability is only going to become more of an issue with the tightening streetscapes.
Nope, they wouldn't fit in the houses

Another reason L169 got the tiller was more room and to carry the SOC support stuff.
169 requested a tiller and it was approved after the job did a survey of there quarters and the survey of the street Kaytee layout of there 1st Alarm area. And skyler l doubt very much you will see a tiller as a rescue unit or whatever you guys have been calling it....... lt should go into service by July...

And LA city
That is all LA City operates. They mate an engine (staffed with one or two) with the tiller and they call it a light force, if the company has a staffed engine company in quarters, they operate as a task force. Other departments including LA County have a few tiller quints. Now that is interesting!

169 requested a tiller and it was approved after the job did a survey of there quarters and the survey of the street Kaytee layout of there 1st Alarm area. And skyler l doubt very much you will see a tiller as a rescue unit or whatever you guys have been calling it....... lt should go into service by July...
I said nothing about a rescue unit tiller….

Also, the purchase price difference between a RM and a Tiller would have to be considered.
I'm not sure if the trailers are in any condition to be re-tractored at the end of their service, but this could end up saving money in the long run.

I'm not sure if the trailers are in any condition to be re-tractored at the end of their service, but this could end up saving money in the long run.
In Chauf. School in 1972 we drove the 2 Rigs they had there ...both 1947 WLF Tractors retrofitted to 1938 Seagrave Wooden Aerials ......the course was mainly about safe driving & downshifting & double clutching to properly operate the Manual Transmissions without burning out the clutch....not much was done with the actual 30 year old Aerial Ladder there but similar Rigs were still In Service in some slower parts of NYC....after I was driving regularly in 108 I did drive some Rigs with retrofitted Trailer (Aerial sections)....for the most part once a Tractor lived its lifespan the associated Tiller section often proved to be unreliable on more than one occasion with different combos....in a Dept the size of the FDNY once a Tractor section reaches it's useable life span it & it's original associated Trailer section should be Retired.

Why is it taking so long for 169 to go in service?
It just got here last week…. That was the first time in NYC. They have to go thru the rig and make sure everything is right. Then it goes back to Jersey for however long it takes, probably end of next month inservice.

Why is it taking so long for 169 to go in service?
Taken so long? the truck just arrived. It has to go through it paces. the truck is at the rock for training, so that will take a few weeks, then the city shops will have it for a few weeks to really go over the truck, that takes a few days, then back to the seagrave shop in nj, for what ever final items or mods need to be done. usually when a "new" truck hits the shop in nj, its months before it goes in service, and since this is the first one, might be a bit longer.

Another reason L169 got the tiller was more room and to carry the SOC support stuff.
I know you did the SSL rig video previously. But what extra does the Ladder portion of an SSL carry as opposed to a standard truck company. I just assumed all the extra stuff was on the 2nd piece

I know you did the SSL rig video previously. But what extra does the Ladder portion of an SSL carry as opposed to a standard truck company. I just assumed all the extra stuff was on the 2nd piece
They want to remove the SSLs all together so everything would be on the Ladder it self…. We will see what happens.