New Squad Co for Staten Island

C

capthale

What does history say some of the other squads are named after the House  Correct.

Yes that is very true all of them are except Squad 1 I think.  I think from looking at the picture with the Chief and Comm. I think they made it Squad 8 maybe since it's in Div. 8 and also maybe since they want to not loose an engine company in SI
E-18
E-41
E-61
E-252
E-270
E-288

capthale said:
What does history say some of the other squads are named after the House  Correct.

The WWII era squads were numbered 21, 22, 24 (don't know why 23 was not used)

The squads of the mid 50's to 70's were numbered 1 to 9.

The present squads (except 1) retained the number of the engine that was given squad functions but which continued functioning as an engine in their first due area.

Squad 8 could be representing the 8th squad, or the 8th Division squad, or 8th of something else.  OR there may be a move to separate the engine and squad functions by uniquely identifying the 8 squads sequentially 1 to 8 similar to other SOC units.  For example, dispatched as 154 for an engine call, and dispatched as Sq 8 for a SOC duty call.

fdny747 said:
Yes that is very true all of them are except Squad 1 I think.  I think from looking at the picture with the Chief and Comm. I think they made it Squad 8 maybe since it's in Div. 8 and also maybe since they want to not loose an engine company in SI
E-18
E-41
E-61
E-252
E-270
E-288

I think that might be a very valid point. I've heard that Staten Islands population is growing and there is only a limited amount of engine companies to cover such a large geographical area. Thus keeping Eng 154.

I'm sure "68jk09" or "fdhistorian" can give more facts about this but, when Engine 41 was about to be closed, as I remember, there was a strong uproar from the neighborhood. They didn't want it closed. In response to that the term "Enhanced Engine" came into play. This was shortly after the attempted closing of the engine company now occupied by Squad 1. It became known as "The Peoples Firehouse" because citizens took over the firehouse in order to keep it open.

After that activity and the fact that the neighborhood residents would NOT let the city close it, Engine 41 became known as "Enhanced Engine 41" which began it's duties to cover all working fires, pin jobs, etc, in the Bronx, Harlem and Washington Hgts.

Later I believe a study was done and after several drills, there seemed to be the threat of a terrorist chemical attack in NYC. It was decided that the FDNY needed additional Haz Mat trained companies. Thereby creating what we know today as the FDNY Squad Companies of Sqd 18, 41, 61, 252, 270, 288. Squad 1 also became a part of that as well.

As I remember it was the late B/C Ray Downey, who was killed on 9/11, who pushed for that to happen.

This is how "I" remember it was and the FDNY Squad Companies were born again. Prior to that, the FDNY Squad Companies were considered extra manning in order to fight the large numbers of fires that were going on during the very busy "FDNY War Years".
In fact, this site's administrator, Retired Captain John Bendick, worked as a firefighter assigned to Squad Co 2 in the South Bronx. Squad 2 was manned at Engine 73 quarters, but during the night shifts, Squad 2 rotated between Engine 73, 82, and 85. As history tells us some of the busiest firefighting units in the history of the FDNY for fire duty.

mack

Administrator
It looks like the sign used in the picture was not a typical sign that would be prepared by FDNY for a function or celebration.  It looks like a sign done while you wait in a shop by someone who did not know much about the unit to be organized, date, designation, FDNY or SI.  I think the purpose of the event may not have been to announce an official name designation for the new squad, which will probably be Squad 154, as FDNY has been doing with all new squads formed (18, 41, 61, 252, 270, 288) which perform the both special ops and engine functions 

The old squad numbering system (Squads 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 9, 21, 22, 240) was used for manpower-only squads which originally used converted hose tenders, vans and trucks to respond.

Rumour the Squads where all being re numbered Sq 1-8 .... any truth ???  :eek: :eek: 

Bulldog

Bulldog
IRISH said:
Rumour the Squads where all being re numbered Sq 1-8 .... any truth ???  :eek: :eek:
I personally don't see that happening, the present squad companies have to much history associated with the house and unit number.  I don't see any reason to change it.  Other than the rescues is no real rhyme or reason to the numbering of apparatus.

C

capthale

What?s the pool u to we got to start taking bets. Squad 8 or squad 154 ?

Instead of guessing who is going to be what number and where equipment is going to be stationed, perhaps it is better to wait for the FDNY to figure it out.  They will probably let everyone know in due time.  JMO

Staffed units with citywide specialized responsibilities (Marine, Rescue, earlier Squads, RAC, etc) have historically had their own numbering series.

Engines and Ladders and Battalions are numbered geographically by boro. (MN/BX, BK/Q, SI) 

Dual staffed units (Foam, SOC Rapid Response, Decon, HazMat Tech, etc) tend to be numbered with their full time unit.

Units that are frequently separately staffed get their own numbers. (Brush)

John, you're gonna have to stop that . . . you're making too much sense.  8)

In answer to Willy's reply # 83 above.....  see my Reply # 46 on this thread..... http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,1104.msg167086.html#msg167086

Also, with the help of Chief "68jk09", Squad 1 was organized after the closing of then Engine 269.

As I remember it, once Squad 1 was organized due to local residents opposing the Eng 269 closing, the agreement was to keep Squad 1 for responses only in it's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd due response area as a firefighting company. Not to be assigned to any other areas beyond that response area.

However, "The Peoples Firehouse" began because of the closing of Engine 212. Where the citizens decided to occupy that firehouse and not let the city close it. I know that this topic has been discussed here as well.

Our discussions today of the forming of a new Squad Company for Staten Island, just as the forming of Squad 1, and the story of "The Peoples Firehouse" will all be forgotten unless there is strong effort to preserve that for those who follow us.

And regarding history, reply #88 by "raybrag" here, you can find a little information of just what he might have been referring to when he said: "Squad 154 Where Are You" ? (see: Television from a different time" reply # 30). 
"A Class Call", Ray.

F

Fireinfo101

Engine 154 has been chosen.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,420
Willie in reply to yours Sq1 when reinstated were given ONLY 1st due Boxes.Gov Hugh Carey had a townhouse on Prospect Park West and was the main force behind it.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Fireinfo101 said:
I wonder if the members of E-154 will receive any priority for staffing the new squad.  Does anybody know the actual procedure for choosing members for the squad company?

When E41 became SQ41 - spots were initially offered to any members of E41 that wanted to stay - don't know if that's still the way?

Bulldog said:
Fireinfo101 said:
I wonder if the members of E-154 will receive any priority for staffing the new squad.  Does anybody know the actual procedure for choosing members for the squad company?
Yes they would if they choose to undergo all of the additional training and have 5 or more years on the job.